Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  SATA-IDE converters, working and non-working models

Page 18 of 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
munk
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 May 2006 Posts: 60
sab13 wrote:
lamaison wrote:
Please keep us updated - Looking like I'll need to do the same upgrade very very soon!

I installed the Turbosat adapter and the new 2TB Western Digital hard disc (WD20EZRX) last night and all is working fine. It was trivial to do. There are no instructions with the Turbosat adapter but it's all pretty obvious as long as you don't miss the fact that the tiny flying power lead gets connected to the adapter board. I particularly like the fact that the disk is pretty much identical in length to the original Toppy one so the cables all fit okay without having to twist and bend too much. Also, the disk is rated for fanless low-power environments and shouldn't get too hot.

Turn on the toppy... it offers to format... and away you go. I did have a problem with MyStuff then not fully working after a fresh install but that rectified overnight once the EPG gathered some data.

I've just done the same, ordered the Turbosat SATA PATA bridge 2 days ago and it arrived today. (Made me smile on the Turbosat page when it said that the SATA-PATA bridge is the most popular item on sale at the moment on the site.)

Like you say it is very expensive 'for what it is' (~30 inc. p&p) BUT IMO it's worth it for the simplicity of the installation - once all the previous hardware+IDE interface was removed, the installation of the new bridge and drive must have taken literally a couple of minutes (only possible minor gotcha is as you say connecting the tiny white bridge power lead up but otherwise it's fairly obvious without any instructions). The bridge is clearly engineered specifically for the Topfield and all the cables are exactly the right length to fit just perfectly.

I hooked up a spare SSD drive that was lying around (an OCZ Agility 120Gb) just to test it out, and it worked without any faffing around at all - just the usual requested "Format disk?" popup, which when completed saw the Toppy working good as new. In fact the speed of the SSD and the silence of it makes me wonder whether to just keep it in there - I probably would if it wasn't 'only' 120Gb. Is quite eery having absolutely no noise whatsoever coming out of the Toppy (the previous 10 year old drive made a right racket!).

My final choice of HDD for this Toppy is similar to yours above - a WD Green 1TB HDD (WD10EZRX). Fingers crossed this will work fine, I did try and trawl through a good portion of both this thread and the 'compatible HDD' drives thread and saw a few ppl have had it work fine so ... we shall see.

Thanks to everyone that's contributed to this thread (and the compatible HDD thread). Nice to know there are others still keeping their Toppys alive - dreading the day when it can't go on any longer, there still doesn't seem to be any ideal substitute for the Toppy. Smile

andyfras
Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3450
There seems to be some sort of Turbosat offshoot called Pulsat (very similar website) who are offering the same adapter a few pounds cheaper:

http://www.pulsat.com/products/Bridge-Module-PATA-to-SATA.html

Postage is slightly higher though.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
granville23
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Hi, can anyone tell me how long it should take to format a 1 TB Western-Digital-WD10EZRX, as I have installed one with a recomended sata adapter and displaying on screen is " format progressing" which has been there now for 2hrs 30 mins, has this froze or is it still formatting.

Thanks in advance

G

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
It should take a few minutes or less.

Have you connected the IDE lead backwards (as required by the Toppy)?

granville23
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Hi Andy,

I am using the same lead at the moment just to see if it is working properly, or is that wrong

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Ah would it work with the original lead backwards and I have put jumper on pins 5 and 6 which I think you mentioned in one of you posts

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it works with the original lead; I've never managed to make it stretch that far. I suggest that you use the recommended reversed 80 wire IDE cable. You can get one for less than 2 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271521227122

Reversing the original lead would have no effect, as it doesn't have the intermediate earth wires that the 80 wire lead has.

granville23
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Ok I will give that a go then, thanks

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been asked what SATA adapter I'm currently supplying. It's this one, which I get from China, but beware that there are several similar looking ones that aren't totally compatible with the Toppy (I've got a box full of non-compatible ones that I've tried).

mstombs
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 938
How on earth can someone make this and ship to UK (By train via Russia?) for so little...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PATA-IDE-TO-SATA-Converter-Adapter-Plug-Play-7-15-Pin-3-5-2-5-SATA-HDD-DVD-FT/321688037495

NB just looks the same as Andy's, I'm sure the one I have used from dealextreme was double ... that!
Bizman
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
mstombs wrote:
How on earth can someone make this and ship to UK (By train via Russia?) for so little...
Perhaps it fell off a lorry. Very Happy

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
Martin_Edney
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I replaced the hard disk in my Topfield 5800 about a month ago. I'm using a Startech IDE2SAT2 and all is working well.

http://www.kikatek.com/P337011/IDE2SAT2-StarTech-40-Pin-IDE-PATA-to-SATA

In spite of advice to replace the original IDE cable because it's too short when used with an IDE to SATA adapter such as the Startech, I found that judicious adjustment of the position of the hard disk meant I could reuse the original IDE cable.

The new SATA hard disk I'm using is a Western Digital AV-GP 2TB

http://www.kikatek.com/P329897/WD20EURX-WD-AV-GP-2TB-SATA-III-64MB-3-5-inch-Hard

It was initialised and working within a couple of minutes of the Topfield being switched on.

I also replaced my power supply at the same time, thanks to andyfras' exchange service.

All has been working well for about a month now.
andyfras
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Turbosat have reduced the price on their adapter to 14.95 delivered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263088112941

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 754
Does that mean that they're selling off the last ones, or do they feel they're overpriced? I'm certainly happy with mine that I bought a coupe of years ago...

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
andyfras
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
They had 8 left yesterday, so I suspect that they are selling the last ones and won't be reordering.

IMHO this is the price that they should have been to start with.