Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  SATA-IDE converters, working and non-working models

Page 1 of 18
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Bob_Swede
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Oct 2007 Posts: 1066 Location: Sweden
(Edited on July 17, 2009 to add adapter #10)
Edited again Oct 26, 2009 to warn against buying from Aria
Edited Nov 12, 2009 to add link to Newlink distributor
Edited Dec 15, 2009 to modify image url:s
Edited Dec 24, 2009 to add new working adapter #11
Edited Jan 16, 2010 to add new working adapter #12
Edited Feb 19, 2010 to report adapter #11 works in a TF5810
Edited Sep 12, 2010 to report appearance of adapter #13 from Topfield
Edited Sep 23, 2010 to report adapter #14 as working
Edited Nov 11, 2010 to report adapter #15 as working
Edited March 14, 2012 to report adapter #9 as possibly not working
Edited March 14, 2012 to add new working adapter #16

I had a hard time trying to find the adapter to use when upgrading my Toppy using a 1Tb Samsung SATA drive (see other threads).

Apparently it is important that a converter uses the Marvell chipset.
From personal experience it is also important to not use the built-in Toppy IDE cable! Instead one should use a commercial high grade 80-wire IDE cable and (important!) connect it "backwards" with the motherboard end to the SATA/IDE adapter and the drive end to the Toppy motherboard. This requires drilling a hole in the connector because the polarization pin that is usually missing on drives is there on the motherboard.
However, YMMV - some users report success using 40-line IDE cables so it might be a case where the disk drive/adapter type influences the needed cable type.

Below are models that apparently people here have used successfully as noted with the Smile image.
(URL to supplier and if possible a product image):

Smile 1) From LINDY: SATA-II an IDE Konverter

2) From Conrad: IDE Serial-ATA Converter
Looks amazingly similar to #1!

3) Amazon.com: Sabrent SBT-STDB

4) No longer available....

5) Sabrent Ltd company site: Sabrent SBT-STDB

6) EBay UK: Sabrent SBT-STDB SATA to IDE Port Mini Converter
Notice how different it looks compared to the one from Sabrent above!

7) From SPAN: IDE-SATA01

Here is another one I have found that looks a lot like the SPAN model, but the SPAN image above is too low-res to say for sure:

Smile 8 ) DeLOCK: Delock Converter SATA to IDE
I bought this and finally got it working. Smile
The trick is to use an 80-wire IDE cable and attach the motherboard end to the converter and the drive end to the motherboard!

9) NewLink: Bi-Directional SATA - IDE Adapter

This is a different kind of converter, which is attached to the Toppy MB disk connector and then a standard serial ATA cable is used to the disk drive.
It has been reported as working very easily by Valiant on July 13, 2009, see Toppy thread here
The main issue here is the drilling out of a hole in the 40-way IDE connector to accommodate the polarization pin that Topfield has chosen to not remove from the MB connector.
WARNING! Aria.co.uk is apparently now (Oct 2009) selling a different adapter but using the Newlink adapter image on its website.
This different adapter is NOT possible to fit into the Toppy case and it uses a possibly nonworking chipset!
See This topic about the problem
Here is a link to CDL Micro that sells the real Newlink adapter!
WARNING2!!! CDL apparently now delivers a DIFFERENT adapter that does not contain the Marvell chip and thus does not work with the Toppy!

Smile 10) Newegg: StarTech IDE2SAT IDE to SATA Drive Mounted Adapter

This looks very much like the ones on top of my list....
This is available from many other vendors as well. Just Google "Startech IDE2SAT" and you will get several hits.
It has been reported to work just fine with a Toppy TF5800.

Smile + Sad 11)DealExtreme: SATA to IDE Hard Disk Mini Vertical Bridge Adapter Card

This adapter is reported on Dec 24, 2009 by k0sh as working (forum link)
It is seemingly not using the Marvell chip but works anyway. The 4-pin power connection is directly to the board so no extra adapter cable is needed. This adapter is reportedly amazingly cheap too...
WARNING! It seems like the adapter card is a wee bit too wide so it won't allow the Toppy lid to be replaced properly. k0sh found out the bad way when he reassembled the toppy.... Sad
However ezhic reported here that it fit OK into a TF5800.
And RedandBlueArmy reported here that it will also fit in a TF5810 allowing the lid to close! Smile

Smile 12)Sunrich Technology from Maplin: SATA to ATA Convertor A05HL

This adapter is reported on Jan 15, 2010 by dougalkerr as working even though it seems not to use the Marvell chip (forum link).
There is one little caveat (see forum link):
Apparently "the power cables from the Toppy to the little board are too close to the RF connectors behind the hard drive" so the RF connector has to be removed to make the board/drive fit.

Smile 13) TOPFIELD adapter from Turbosat: BRIDGE MODULE PATA-SATA

This adapter is reported as "due soon" and looks really interesting. It attaches to the motherboard connector and sports a suitably short SATA cable, which means that the install would become very easy.
On Oct 9, 2010 grro58 reported this adapter as working in his toppy. Apparently the board was not properly cut to size but he managed to get it in anyway.

Smile 14) Sintech ST4059B SATA to IDE adapter Sintech ST4059B

This was reported in Aug 03, 2010 as working fine.
You need to also get a power cable for this unit since apparently one is not supplied with it.

Smile 15) AV Tech Sata to IDE Converter Amazon AV-Tech

Reported as working fine on Nov 8, 2010 with a Western Digital 2.0 Tb SATA drive.

Smile 16) Lycom ST-106-2 Mini Adapter Lycom ST-106-2

Reported as working fine on March 14, 2012 with a Samsung Ecogreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB drive.

SUMMARY
Some of these seem similar even though they are not from the same supplier. The units 1-5 look like they are Sabrent converters....
Number 5 definitely is (took the picture from their site).
Unit 6 seems to be a bit different from the others though, an older/newer model? It is at least smaller.

I would be very happy if someone can confirm that those that look like the Sabrent unit actually also are.

And the SPAN and DeLock units look a lot alike, are they the same (and usable with Toppy)? I know for sure that the DeLock one uses the Marvell chipset and actually does work (see above).

It would be nice if you can contribute more working models to this list.

Views from my conversion:
Since there has been some question as to how it all fits together I have prepared some images from when I upgraded here.

Before putting the adapter on the Samsung drive:

DeLock adapter attached to the drive:

80-wire ATA cable attached in the Toppy (not pretty...):

Last edited by Bob_Swede on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:22 am; edited 28 times in total

(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
alan_m
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
Bob_Swede wrote:
I have had a hard time trying to find the adapter to use when upgrading my Toppy using a 1Tb Samsung SATA drive (see other threads).
Apparently it is important that a converter uses the Marvell chipset.

Items 1 to 4 look exactly like the StarTech IDE2SAT

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/ide_sata/

from UK Ebay supplier “shop4usb” at 26.22

EDIT
Confirmed working
in a Toppy with a Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM Green Power

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/StarTech-IDE-to-SATA-Drive-Mounted-Adapter-IDE2SAT_W0QQitemZ290317028377QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_InterfaceCards?hash=item43983e4c19&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Last edited by alan_m on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Thanks,
right now I am looking for a working adapter since I have to conclude that the DeLOCK one I bought does not work in the Toppy. It works just fine in my PC, though...

I added another find to my first post, from a link I got earlier to EBay.uk, see above.

Bob_Swede
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
Tonight I finally got the new drive working on my Toppy! Smile
Solution:
- Use an 80-wire IDE cable (I used an ASUS one that came with a PC MB)
- Turn it around so that the motherboard end plugs into the SATA/IDE adapter
- To be able to use the 80-wire cable I had to drill a hole in the connector plugged into the motherboard (the first drive connector) because this connector has pins everywhere and the connector has one center hole plugged.

Apparently, the trick of plugging the cable in "backwards" is the important thing and causes it to start working.
And I am using the DeLINK SATA/IDE adapter (#8 above).

Bob_Swede
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Added a new item to the list of working IDE/SATA adapters into the first post of this thread.

1234enough
Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Just upgraded my TF5800 (bought June 2008).

Upgrade parts:
WD7500AACS (Overclock.co.uk 61.32 Delivered)
Startech IDE2SAT IDE to SATA drive mounted adapter (amazon 16.95 Del)

Modifications:
1.Original Data cable - removed cable clip(both ends) to gain extra length, reconnected other way round so cable exits the same way as original
2.HDD carrier - screw holes to chassis elongated to move HDD towards front of chassis
3.HDD carrier - rubber mounted HDD fixing points elongated towards front of chassis
4.Power cable that came with IDE2SAT - spare power socket cut off
5.HDD carrier section cut away where DATA cable was touching

This mod allowed the HDD to remain in its original location (but about 10mm towards the front of chassis), to say the least the DATA cable is tight.
Booted up/ formated drive in about 20 sec now in process of twin rec to put to test, all seems good and HDD is very quiet. PS GREAT SITE upgrade only pos after reading posts
Working great since installed march 2009

Valiant
Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 May 2008 Posts: 296
Bob_Swede wrote:
The main issue here is the drilling out of a hole in the 40-way IDE connector to accommodate the polarization pin that Topfield has chosen to not remove from the MB connector.

Please note that the connector is an 80-wire on the IDE side.

Bob_Swede
Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Valiant wrote:
Bob_Swede wrote:

Please note that the connector is an 80-wire on the IDE side.

Do you really mean that the connector is 80-way (is having 80 pin holes in it)???
I have already stated that an 80-way cable is required but these cables have internal connections to every other wire to supply a screening ground potential, even using the 40-way standard connector.

buggy
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
There are a few IDE to SATA adaptors available which plug directly into the motherboard IDE port (so, like the Newlink, no IDE cable needed). I'm guessing these are more recent, as the older adaptations look as if they used an adaptor which plugged into the back of the SATA drive.

Apart from the Newlink, none of these are mentioned here. Is is that they don't work or has no one risked trying them?

I haven't taken the top off my Toppy, but I'm assuming there's only one power lead available - the one that supplies power to the HDD. An adaptor for this to power a SATA drive is mentioned. But how do we then power the IDE/SATA adaptor?

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
buggy wrote:
There are a few IDE to SATA adaptors available which plug directly into the motherboard IDE port (so, like the Newlink, no IDE cable needed). I'm guessing these are more recent, as the older adaptations look as if they used an adaptor which plugged into the back of the SATA drive.

Apart from the Newlink, none of these are mentioned here. Is is that they don't work or has no one risked trying them?

It is because I have not used one and noone has posted info on them working (except the one from Newlink)....
Quote:

I haven't taken the top off my Toppy, but I'm assuming there's only one power lead available - the one that supplies power to the HDD. An adaptor for this to power a SATA drive is mentioned. But how do we then power the IDE/SATA adaptor?

There usually is a power supply cable adapter with the converter, at least there was with mine.

buggy
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:33 am Reply with quote
buggy wrote:
There are a few IDE to SATA adaptors available which plug directly into the motherboard IDE port

Actually, I'm wondering now if there is sufficient clearance under the HDD cradle to use these in the way I was hoping. The ones I'm looking at are in the form of a small circuit board with a female connector that plugs straight in to the IDE port; consequently sticking up maybe 2 inches. Even if you wanted to attach an IDE cable, the normal type - female both ends - would be unusable.

The Newlink does have a very short IDE cable which would allow it to flop over and avoid the clearance problem. I think when I first read that it plugs straight in to the board, I had assumed you took this short cable out. Now I'm thinking you leave it on - or maybe it doesn't even come out at all.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
This one looks promising as the circuit board mounts horizontally rather than vertically. I've checked the orientation and it angles away from the main board.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270444209847&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
buggy wrote:
This one looks promising as the circuit board mounts horizontally rather than vertically. I've checked the orientation and it angles away from the main board.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270444209847&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Unfortunately with the CE sticker it is impossible to identify the chip-set used.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
But at that price it's worth a punt. Don't know how they can do it since P & P is free and it's coming from the Far East Question

?
Bob_Swede
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quote
ryclark wrote:
But at that price it's worth a punt. Don't know how they can do it since P & P is free and it's coming from the Far East Question

Amazing! There must be a printing error or the start price of an on-line auction.....