Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  SATA-IDE converters, working and non-working models

Page 3 of 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
charlesb
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Feb 2008 Posts: 34
I bought a StarTach adaptor some time ago from Kikatek with the intention of having one available if and when I upgraded.

I'm now thinking about it - getting clicking noises on my 3 yr old Toppy.

Has anyone used a 2.5inch Sata drive in the Toppy? Would the Startach IDE2Sat adaptor work with a 2.5, or only with a 3.5 inch drive?
WWWombat
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Nov 2008 Posts: 33 Location: Harrogate, North Yorks (Emley Moor transmitter)
charlesb wrote:
Has anyone used a 2.5inch Sata drive in the Toppy? Would the Startach IDE2Sat adaptor work with a 2.5, or only with a 3.5 inch drive?

I haven't used one in the Toppy, but I do have one of those "drop-in" adapters that takes either 3.5" or 2.5" SATA drives, and converts them to USB.
The SATA connector at the bottom of that fits either size.

So I suspect that you can fit it physically. But whether it is any more compatible than that, I cannot say.

By the way - if your Toppy is starting to misbehave at that age, there's a fair chance you are suffering a PSU problem, which would be better checked before fitting a new disk. Take a look at the PSU Repair thread.

Mike

Last edited by WWWombat on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sig partially generated by MyInfo
jumbo
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
charlesb wrote:
I'm now thinking about it - getting clicking noises on my 3 yr old Toppy.
Clicking noises means that your PSU is trashed and not your drive (necessarily). Correct that fault before you waste your money on a false fix! Read the Bugs->PSU Repairs threads and this.
Ex_Sailor
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 239 Location: Cambridge
charlesb wrote:

If your referring to a laptop drive, then don't bother, these are never designed for long-term operation such as continuous recording/playing back.
However if you mean the newer SFF server drives, then yes, these will work just fine with the Toppy. (Have tried a couple as a trial). The drawback though, is that compared to a 'standard' 3.5 drive, the cost is 3 or 4 times as much for an equivalent capacity 2.5 drive.

Colin
k0sh
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
This model worked fine with a 1tb Seagate drive.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12537

It took about 7-10 days to arrive from China and only cost 2.82 including delivery. Some uk suppliers charge more than that just for delivery!

I got the adapter yesterday and the disk today.
I had intended to get a Samsung HDD, but saw a great deal for an external USB 1tb drive on hotukdeals(53.99) that someone reckoned had a Samsung in it.

Any way, it contained a Seagate HDD.

I installed them both today and am surprised that I got it to work first time! The IDE cable was too short by a whisker so I got a spare one from my "bits" drawer and installed it no problem. No drilling involved (don't know why the other posters had to do this?)

I will give the full Seagate part number after thorough testing.
Bob_Swede
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Oct 2007 Posts: 1066 Location: Sweden
k0sh wrote:

It took about 7-10 days to arrive from China and only cost 2.82 including delivery. Some uk suppliers charge more than that just for delivery!
AMAZING! That's a real steal!
Quote:

I got the adapter yesterday and the disk today.
I had intended to get a Samsung HDD, but saw a great deal for an external USB 1tb drive on hotukdeals(53.99) that someone reckoned had a Samsung in it.

Any way, it contained a Seagate HDD.

I installed them both today and am surprised that I got it to work first time! The IDE cable was too short by a whisker so I got a spare one from my "bits" drawer and installed it no problem. No drilling involved (don't know why the other posters had to do this?)
It depends on the cable connector. In the early times all 40 pins had connector holes, but then they started to make them impossible to attach the wrong way by closing one pin position and making the connectors on the motherboard and drives only use 39 pins. Your old cable apparently is with the old style connector.
Quote:

I will give the full Seagate part number after thorough testing.

I will update the first post on this thread with your info ASAP. Smile
Thanks!

(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
k0sh
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
More info:
The Seagate drive is ST31000520AS
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=st31000520as-bcuda-lp-sata-1tb-hd&vgnextoid=9d373f15020b0210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD

The hotukdeal detail is here:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/563873/iomega-1tb-select-3-5-inch-external?

It may still be available.

My cable has been around for donkey's years so that explains it, thanks.
k0sh
Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Just a warning before anybody goes out and buys the dealextreme adapter.
It stands a little proud above the disk with the cable attached.

It all works fine when the disk and caddy are loosely connected, but when I put the lid back on it I have to push down to fix the screws and then the hard drive stops working.

In fact upon trouble shooting, I get a similar result with the disk and caddy screwed into the case. So there must be some cable tension somewhere which is giving adverse results.

When trouble shooting, I forgot to unplug the power and have now blown the plug fuse! I have replaced the plug fuse but still no luck. So I will try and replace the fuse inside the case next to power in cable. But I cannot do this until Maplin is next open,

Phew! The kids aint gonna be happy. I cannot record anything!
charlesb
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Feb 2008 Posts: 34
OK, thanks for the helpful replies. So, it's a 3.5inch disk to look for rather than a 2.5inch (I'm not likely to get an expensive disk just to get 2.5 inch)

On the other front, I also have occasional issues with Toppy not responding to remote apart from Stand-by button. I've reviewed the PSU repair thread and ordered some capacitors from Farnell.

I also bought a multi-meter and will check the voltages once I have time (and no kids around, with school closed it's an issue!) and replace the capacitors at that point if required. I have an old soldering iron, but I think I might buy a new one (mines at least 20 years old and is a huge beast)

Thanks again for the responses.
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
k0sh wrote:

Astonishing price, and it works great. I ordered one on a whim because I'm having an odd problem with the 1TB conversion I did on my TF5810: if the Toppy has been on for a while, then goes into standby, then fairly quickly comes back out of standby (e.g. restarting for a timer) the disk is not recognised and so it just sits there just showing BBC1. This adapter seems to be working fine with the same disk, so it looks like the other adapter was a bit flakey, although I have (seemingly) the same adapter in my 1TB conversion in my TF5800 that's working fine...

The one small problem on the TF5810 is that the existing IDE cable is a little too short now to make the connection. You could use a slightly longer cable, or modify the position of the disk or the cradle.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:

The one small problem on the TF5810 is that the existing IDE cable is a little too short now to make the connection. You could use a slightly longer cable, or modify the position of the disk or the cradle.

How about the board size problem that k0sh reported? Apparently the board was a tad too wide to allow closing the lid of the toppy.
Is this corrected or is the space different on different toppy models?

R2-D2
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Bob_Swede wrote:
How about the board size problem that k0sh reported?
Lid went back on without any problems -- that may be because the TF5810 is a different case to the TF5000/TF5800, but it might also be because I had adjusted the cradle position so the existing (short) IDE cable fitted.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Jun 2009 Posts: 25
Just installed the Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 500Gb SATA drive and Sunrich Technology (ST LABS) SATA conveter. I allowed the hard disk format to take place - took about 10 seconds. Then the Toppy came back to life as normal - without the firmware of course.
I then installed the USB driver for Vista using the Topfield Tools software as normal.
I used the Firmware Installer TAP to install the Toppy.org recommended firmware version and all seems to have went well.

A small thing I will have to take care of with this 'otherwise compact' SATA conveter board, is that the power cables from the Toppy to the little board are too close to the RF connectors behind the hard drive. I will be removing these because I have never used them and this will allow more space for everything. Hopefully things will fit snugly together and I can get the lid on.

So, here I am, just watched a 10 minute manually started recording - no problems apparent. Now a timer set recording apperas to be okay too. So far so good.
dougalkerr
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Jun 2009 Posts: 25
The ST Labs SATA converter was obtained from Maplin and their code A05HL is what it comes under. This is what is on the ST Labs information sheet on the rear of the packet.
There is a A06HL as well if I remember correctly but, this converter works the wrong way round.
Bob_Swede
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
dougalkerr wrote:
The ST Labs SATA converter was obtained from Maplin and their code A05HL is what it comes under. This is what is on the ST Labs information sheet on the rear of the packet.

You don't happen to have the URL to the adapter sales page?
I googled this product, is this the right one?