Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Toppy.org.uk recommended firmwares

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
chunkywizard
Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Do you have a link? The one I could find was: http://www.topfield.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=11&Itemid=8 and these are old firmwares (which are superceded by the patched firmwares on Toppy.org)

CW

redmic
Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Question
This afternoon I noticed that my PVR5800 was displaying "run" on the front panel.
On switching on the TV there was a message
"Firmware has been updated Factory reset required"
"Do you want to do a reset now"
I carried out the Reset and did a rescan of the channels.
The problem is that on checking the firmware version it has not changed ie 5:14:09+ Apr 08.
Is this anything to do with the MHEG change?
Andy K
Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3515
no it's a known bug with your firmware (the freeview playback f/w)
ccs
Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2577
The Ot patch fixes the problem on non-freeview+ firmwares also.

Check here for firmware recommendations.

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
ccs wrote:
The Ot patch fixes the problem on non-freeview+ firmwares also.
But it doesn't stop this, which is actually caused by memory corruption, not a rogue OTA update. (To prove it, I had the same problem with Ot installed.)

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Magpie
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Apr 2005 Posts: 52
Magpie wrote:

Couple of factory resets, a verify that jammed, and the result was a mostly empty hard drive.

So, cleaned up and removed everything and started again. Put back the same stuff and it seems to be OK at the moment.

I sent my 5810 back to Peter Tyson where it was under the second year of warrenty. They kept it for a couple of weeks, sent it back saying it had a corrupted hard drive which they had reformatted.

So the machine ran OK for a couple of weeks, but now it has gone back to the same symptoms, starting yestereday.

Anyone got any ideas? PT did not say if they tested the power supply? Is that still the most likley?

TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.1; MyInfo B5.0; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 29/3/10
glenmcfar
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Yep.

edit: best bet is to get in touch with Turbosat.

Bleazardd
Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Where can out I find when updates are broadcast?
I have 5.13.40 on myTF5800 and think I need to update. My 5800 was switched offf 20/9/09 - 11/10/09 so maybe I missed transmission of the new firmware? Should I maybe download 5.13.65 or 5.14.08?
We are in the N West and have part 2 of the digital switchover 2/12/09 Dave
Darucla
Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1543
Download the 13.65 firmware from this site. http://toppy.org.uk/downloads/firmware.php
There hasn't been an OTA for years.

BlueSky
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 29 Nov 2009 Posts: 71
OK I have a TF5800T 250GB:

System ID : 458
Loader Version : C5.14
Device Version : v5.4.10
Software Version : TF-NPT 5.14.09+
Hardware Version V1.01
Last Update : April 11 2008

Just bought it today.

I was so pleased to find out that I have the latest most up to date version recommended by Topfield, then I find it is a load of rubbish according to these forums.

I have a few questions.

1. Some of these toppy org firmware have T on the end of their name, do they go with the 5800T or is T being used to make things more confusing.

2. Is 5.14.09T recommended to replace 5.14.09+. Can you get 5.14.09+ back if you needed to. Is 5.14.09T a good way to keep the series link but has the bugs fixed?

3. Do I need to change the System ID or will installing these new firmware do that?

4. What's with pressing record twice on the guide not allowing padding like with my parents version. I keep getting dialogs which say do I want to do it by time rather than by name or do I want to include recommendations. Will other firmware get rid of these.

I know I could use the pick the best option thing and I might use that, but I would like to understand what's going on. I did not really understand R2D2's firmware guide.

I defiantly don't want to apply patches every five minutes. I suppose I want taps, although am not unhappy with the standard interface.

What would you guys do if you were in my position. I would be grateful just for a few, I would say you should do this type answers, thanks.
Fred F.
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Sep 2009 Posts: 339 Location: U.K. [Stockland Hill / Mendip]
What I did was to use the machine as is for a week to get the general hang of things, then having read this forum in some depth, I decided to load a TAP called MyStuff.

It has a Downloader which takes care of all the updates you need, and leaves you with a vastly improved UI and a whole lot of extra facilities, without having to bother yourself with any further TAPs unless you have some special requirements.

Although the Firmware it installs appears to be a retrograde step 'numberwise', it is in fact more up to date, and has improved functionality over the one which comes loaded when you buy the machine.

The whole process shouldn't take more than a couple of hours - you will need the appropriate USB Lead, and of course a PC or one of them Apple Thingys.

Full instructions are available on the Forum.

And of course all is fully reversible - but you won't want to - Honest!

Good luck

TF5800t, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009

TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6;

Sig generated by MyInfo on 3/3/14
juwlz
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
BlueSky wrote:
1. Some of these toppy org firmware have T on the end of their name, do they go with the 5800T or is T being used to make things more confusing.
The T denotes a firmware with contributed patches added and maintained by forum users. (This is a GOOD thing.)
Quote:
2. Is 5.14.09T recommended to replace 5.14.09+. Can you get 5.14.09+ back if you needed to. Is 5.14.09T a good way to keep the series link but has the bugs fixed?
Yes, but you won't want to. It's a way to keep the native series link, and the best option available for that. (But the native SeriesLink is pretty pants - a common fault with Series Link implementations in general, apparently.)
Quote:
3. Do I need to change the System ID or will installing these new firmware do that?
No, you don't need to do anything.
Quote:
4. What's with pressing record twice on the guide not allowing padding like with my parents version. I keep getting dialogs which say do I want to do it by time rather than by name or do I want to include recommendations. Will other firmware get rid of these.
That's a "feature" of Freeview+ (5.14.xx) firmware. One good reason to go for 5.13.65T.
Quote:
I defiantly don't want to apply patches every five minutes. I suppose I want taps, although am not unhappy with the standard interface.

What would you guys do if you were in my position. I would be grateful just for a few, I would say you should do this type answers, thanks.
THE main benefits of a Toppy are the availability of TAPs, availability of patches to fix problems that the manufacturers don't bother with, and the excellent user forum, of course Wink.

You have 3 choices (and as a MyStuff Team Member, I'm obviously biased about which one to use):

1. Go with 5.14.09T (use the firmware installer if you have a Windows PC), and live with the remaining bugs, lack of true standby, occasional missed recordings, and the inability to pad recordings (because you have to rely on the broadcasters' "accurate" recording signals - which aren't always reliable, accurate or even transmitted at all).

2. Install the recommended firmware (5.13.65T), lose the Series Link stuff, but be able to manually pad timers (individually).

3. Install MyStuff and allow the installer to install the recommended firmware for MyStuff (which is the standard recommended firmware, plus some other patches required to enable all of the MyStuff features). This will give you true standby, more bug fixes in the firmware, and (via MyStuff) much improved Series Link (that can cope with gaps of more than a week between programmes, for instance), and a vastly improved UI.

Take your pick.

Julie

BlueSky
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your reply Julie.

I am already experiencing some problems. I recorded Newsnight and The Daily Show OK, but London news at 6:30pm failed. The machine did not leave standby. I don't think it recorded breakfast either. I have a feeling that news programs will not record.

I like the MyStuff option, but can I ask please.

1. Do I add the mystuff tap while still running TF 5.14.09+, then run the auto installer and select best firmaware for mystuff or upgrade first then add mystuff plus which version of mystuff. This site is very good but novices need instructions very precise and in order lol. R2D2 had loads of useful info, but I was not quite sure sometime which thing he mentioned he was referring too.

I have altair and the vista driver on a laptop I can borrow. It did connect to my parents TF5800, but it went wrong when I tried to copy off a Wallender recording. The percent went back to zero half way through, although I don't know if it was still copying fine. Should I remove that software and get it direct from Nigels upgrade page.

2. Is their a screen shot of Mystuff.

3. When you find a bug in MyStuff do you release a new firmware or are their patch's like window's monthly downloads?

4. Is mysuff compatible with the temperature tap, I don't know what its called. I need to move the box to a shelf lower to the floor and nearer a radiator. Its about a foot away from my head, when watching television in bed, so the noise is a bit much and the new blue light, turns my room in to a museum exhibit at night, with the light.

Thanks again for all you advice and help.
juwlz
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
BlueSky wrote:
I have a feeling that news programs will not record.
There's nothing generic about News that would prevent them from recording per se, but I'm not hugely surprised you're seeing problems in general.
Quote:
1. Do I add the mystuff tap while still running TF 5.14.09+, then run the auto installer and select best firmaware for mystuff or upgrade first then add mystuff plus which version of mystuff. This site is very good but novices need instructions very precise and in order lol. R2D2 had loads of useful info, but I was not quite sure sometime which thing he mentioned he was referring to.
MyStuff is unique (AFAIK) in having its own Windows installer. So you need to install Topfield Tools on the PC/Laptop you're going to use, check that you can connect using Altair, close Altair (all of which you've already done). Then download the installer for the latest version of MyStuff from the MyStuff site, extract all the files in the zip file, and then run the MyStuff installer on the PC. That will install MyStuff for you and ALSO change the firmware at the same time - no need to decide which to do first!

NB: You will need to be connected to the internet and the Toppy at the same time.

You will then need to Factory Reset and scan for channels again (because you've switched between Freeview+ and non-Freeview+ firmware)
Quote:
I have altair and the vista driver on a laptop I can borrow. It did connect to my parents TF5800, but it went wrong when I tried to copy off a Wallender recording. The percent went back to zero half way through, although I don't know if it was still copying fine. Should I remove that software and get it direct from Nigels upgrade page.
If it worked at all, then there was probably a glitch of some sort that interrupted the transfer. Recordings are very large and TAPs etc. are very small in comparison. I'd say no need to reinstall Altair.
Quote:
2. Is their a screen shot of Mystuff.
Lots! And a separately downloadable comprehensive manual too. Check the link in my sig.
Quote:
3. When you find a bug in MyStuff do you release a new firmware or are their patch's like window's monthly downloads?
MyStuff is a TAP, not firmware. (Think of firmware as being roughly equivalent to your PC's operating system, e.g. Windows; TAPs are applications, like M$Office or Altair).

When we find (or more to the point, fix!) bugs, we release a new version of the TAP. You can either just download and transfer the TAP manually or use the installer again - all your settings will be saved.
Quote:
4. Is MyStuff compatible with the temperature tap, I don't know what its called.
I suspect that you mean HDDInfo, and yes, it'll be fine with that. However, I DON'T recommend you put the Toppy near a radiator, or anywhere enclosed. It sounds like a strange set-up to have the TV somewhere close enough to your head that that's where the Toppy goes. Why not move the TV and Toppy to the other side of the room, and put some black tape over the light?

Julie

BlueSky
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Julie, that was very clear, I will do that. That laptop has wireless and can be plugged in to the Topfield.

My room is a very unusual shape and I can't really move any of the furniture. I have shelves, then adjacent, a sort of tv sideboard thing, then adjacent again the bed. At the bottom of the bed as the shelf ends is the radiator. The tv is about a metre away at the end of the sideboard thing, but the Topfield was on the side board about a foot from my head. Because the side board has levels I moved it furthest away and at the bottom. Trouble is it's about two feet away from the radiator, so I have put the Topfield box between it and the radiator and it seems to make quite a good heat sink. I bounce the remote signals off the radiator or the wall. Yeah it is a funny setup.

The Topfield feels the same in stand by and the heating goes off at ten when I'm using it so hopefully it will be OK.

I would really like to take its temperature but this HD Info thing sounds dangerous. Nigel warns that it can't undo its changes.

Maybe I should write a temperature only tap. Could take months though lol. My next thread could be entitled, "Help! my toppys on fire".