Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Toppy.org.uk recommended firmwares

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
The firmware downloads section of the site has now been updated, and most users should hopefully find it much improved. News item is here

There is a series of recommended firmwares available, for all the current UK terrestrial Topfield models; to make it easy to tell if you are using one of these firmwares, all have versions ending with the letter T. You can find out more about the new firmwares on the downloads page - click the Toppy firmwares link in the left hand nav menu to get there.

We have provided an automatic installer for the firmwares, plus instructions for Mac and Linux users on the same page, which can be viewed in printable mode too.

If you haven't updated your firmware for a while, we strongly urge you to do so. In particular, if you are coming up to Digital SwitchOver in your area, remember that you must have an up to date firmware to successfully scan for channels, and all the recommended firmwares incorporate the necessary fixes.

Thanks to all who helped in setting this up.

Nigel.

[Edit] For clarity the firmwares installed are:
(5800/5800t) 5.13.65BfBqCeCkCyEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfPPcRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStSyT2TfTpTsXpXw
(5810) 5.15.09BfBqBmC0CeCkEcEfEgEmEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfPcRRaRhRmRpRsSSdSfSrSxTfTpTqTt

CW

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 190
The new firmwares page gives links for the firmwares for the TF5800PVR and TF5800PVRt but doesn't explain how to tell which one you have. I wasn't aware there was more than one version of the TF5800, despite owning one for a few years. I think a lot of people are going to be confused by that.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 Feb 2009 Posts: 30
Andy2No wrote:
The new firmwares page gives links for the firmwares for the TF5800PVR and TF5800PVRt but doesn't explain how to tell which one you have.
Have another read of the section headed 'What do you need to update your firmware?' Wink

"Before starting, it helps to be certain which model Topfield PVR you have. If you are not sure, click here for help identifying it."

chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
If you use the firmware loader you don't need to know which one you have, it works it out for you and flashes the appropriate firmware.

HTH

CW

nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
And, indeed, right before the links to the firmware files, there's a second reference to that, in this para:

Quote:
Before downloading any of these files, please make sure you know exactly which model of PVR you have, as is not possible to install firmware on a model for which it is not intended. Click here for a quick guide.

Nigel

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 190
Yes, quite right. It seems my attention span isn't up to reading a page that long.

I think partly I missed the links because they were under headings for things I've read before so hopefully a first time user would read it all properly.

Might I suggest a short precis of the important points at the top of the page, then the more in depth stuff later?

I'd be tempted to move this paragraph to the top:

Quote:
Before downloading any of these files, please make sure you know exactly which model of PVR you have, as is not possible to install firmware on a model for which it is not intended. Click here for a quick guide.
I guess there's no danger involved if the wrong firmware can't be installed, but it could save some confusion and frustration.

I think if someone has a 5810 they probably know they do already. If they have a 5800t they may or may not know that's what they've got, but if they've had a 5800 for a while, like me, they may well not know there was more than one. It was news to me. The description of how to tell a 5800 from a 5800t is actually very short, so that could be part of the page, whereas the description of how to upgrade is a lot longer, and maybe warrants a separate page.

My Topfield has been fairly stable of late so I haven't used the forum much for a while. The one thing that still bugs me about it is the way it frequently just ignores me when I press a button, though the green LED flashes to acknowledge it's been pressed. I guess it's the nature of the OS that it just carries on doing what it was doing until it's ready to respond to user input. A firmware revision that addresses that problem would be good. Are we any closer?

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 18 Mar 2008 Posts: 99 Location: Turin, Italy
Could be usefull know, for every firmware, which patch are applied

nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Someone will be along to say shortly, I'm sure.

I didn't put that information on the page, because we're trying to simplify things for people, and also avoid having to update the page each time a change is made to the firmware.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
CW generally keeps the Firmware Loader forum thread up to date if you need to know in advance.

And MyInfo will tell you once it's installed.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
chunkywizard
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
The Firmware Loader scripts have this information in, but for the record the following are the patches:

Option 1: Recommended Firmware
5800/5800t Firmware version is 5.13.65AbBfBqCeCkCyEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfPPcRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStSyT2TeTfTpTsXpXw
5810 Firmware version is 5.15.09AbAfBfBqC0CeCkCwEcEfEgEmEpErEsEvFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPcRRaRhRmRpRsSSdSfSrSxTdTeTfTpTqTtXw

Option 2: Recommended Firmware for MyStuff Users
5800/5800t Firmware version is 5.13.65AbBfBqCeCkCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSrStSyT2TeTfTpTsXpXw
5810 Firmware version is 5.15.09AbAfBfBqC0CeCkCwDeEcEfEgEmEpErEsEvFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPcRRaRhRmRpRsSSdSfSrSxTdTeTfTpTqTtXw

Option 3: Series Link Firmware (Not Recommended)
5800/5800t Firmware version is 5.14.09AbBfBqC0CeCkCwEcEfEmEpErEsEvFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPcRRaRhRpRsSSdSrTdTeTpTqTtWeXw
5810 Firmware version is 5.15.09AbAfBfBqC0CeCkCwEcEfEgEmEpErEsEvFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPcRRaRhRmRpRsSSdSfSrSxTdTeTfTpTqTtXw

HTH

CW

Last edited by chunkywizard on Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

les
Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Jul 2005 Posts: 25 Location: Kent
Can you advise. Is the firmware version 5.14.09T, recommended in "Downloads for your PVR and PC", the same as version 5.14.09plus I installed last August.
juwlz
Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
No. New patches have been added in the last month or two.

Julie

raichea
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 May 2006 Posts: 63 Location: Hampshire (Hannington transmitter)
Are there any plans to provide a version of the latest 5800 firmware that will co-exist with Description Extender? From another thread, it's suggested it's the Te patch causing the problem.

Thanks, Steve.

juwlz
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
raichea wrote:
Are there any plans to provide a version of the latest 5800 firmware that will co-exist with Description Extender? From another thread, it's suggested it's the Te patch causing the problem.
Do you mean the De patch or the Description Extender TAP?

There's no problem with the De patch - it's included in the MS recommended firmware anyway.

I wasn't aware that there was an issue with the Description Extender TAP with recommended firmware. What is the problem that you're seeing?

btw, if you use the Firmware Loader, you can ask it to remove the Te patch by copying the patch to /ProgramFiles/InstallerFirmware/Remove on the Toppy before doing the update, and the loader will remove that patch from the recommended f/w as it does the installation.

Julie

nwhitfield
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote
We'll consider what patches to include when a new version of the recommended firmware is rolled, and perhaps that will include removing the Te patch to enable Description Extender to work. But we won't be creating lots more individual variants of the firmware, as maintaining five firmwares to download from the page is quite enough work.

I've not yet got to the bottom of the reboots every time I tried to manually remote Te from the recommended firmware.