Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Toppy.org.uk recommended firmwares

Page 5 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
juwlz
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Magpie wrote:
Anyone come across anything like this? Is my disk just dying? Coincidence with the new firmware/software?
Could be. It could also be the PSU that's dying and dragging the disk with it. There is some evidence that a rescan can be the last straw for a borderling PSU. Best to switch off at the mains until you can check out the PSU, or other, more expensive bits may start to fail too.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Magpie
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Apr 2005 Posts: 52
Magpie wrote:
Turning off and on the first time it does a verify files and folders, but ends with a hard disk full message - cannot start recording. Off and on again, I tried a factory reset. It got stuck in the rescan of channels.

Anyone come across anything like this? Is my disk just dying? Coincidence with the new firmware/software?

Couple of factory resets, a verify that jammed, and the result was a mostly empty hard drive.

So, cleaned up and removed everything and started again. Put back the same stuff and it seems to be OK at the moment.

TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.1; MyInfo B5.0; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 29/3/10
juwlz
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
You really ought to check the PSU (or find somebody who can, if you can't). Once it has problems, they tend to escalate and you're very likely to end up frying some more expensive parts of the Toppy (like the motherboard).

DIY Repair (if you have the tools and knowledge) at this stage can be done for under a tenner. See the (very long) PSU Repair thread. Failure to repair is likely to cost 80 for motherboard (when the tuners get fried), plus whatever hard disk you get, plus the PSU repair (or replacement) itself.

Switch it off at the mains and check the Power Supply Unit before you use it again.

Julie

Magpie
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Apr 2005 Posts: 52
juwlz wrote:
You really ought to check the PSU (or find somebody who can, if you can't). Once it has problems, they tend to escalate and you're very likely to end up frying some more expensive parts of the Toppy (like the motherboard

I thought that applied to the 5800? Does the 5810 have the same problem.

(I fixed my old 5800 and got another year or so out of it in the past).

Having this happen just after change of firmware makes me very wary of some bug in the firmware.

TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.1; MyInfo B5.0; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 29/3/10
juwlz
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
In general, the 5800 is much more prone to PSU problems, but there is also at least one 5810 capacitor thread. The 5810 is also particularly prone to disk problems, especially if you don't have plenty of circulation space around it, so it could be that, rather than the PSU.

Julie

chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Just to say on the 10th of October I removed Ab and Te patches from the recommended firmware. This fixes a couple of issues for a few people. Apart from that nothing has changed. http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/firmware.php automatically changes to reflect the date new firmwares are uploaded and so that's why you may have been alerted to the 'new' recommended firmware. People running 5.13.65T from April 09 don't need to upgrade unless recommended to in other threads. All users not currently running an April 09 'T' firmware are still recommended to upgrade to the latest 'T' version (ie 5.13.65T or 5.15.09T)

HTH

CW

jonathancharles
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
hi i have been having terrible trouble with series record on this topfield
but
i read that the "topfield recommended" firmware is not toppy's recommended
however
i can't see a toppy version that is specifically named for this machine
(and you specify that the machine name must be right)
so
am i stuck with their TF-NPT 5.15.09+
or
is there a better one on this site
please
move/delete this post or point me to the correct forum if there is an answer elsewhere
many thanks
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Do you have a 5810? If so then the sites recommended firmware is 5.15.09T. It is more patched than the + version

HTH

CW

jonathancharles
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
apologies
i put the name of my machine in the subject
&
forgot to put it in the body text too
it is a
TF 5810 PVRt which i am gathering is different to the straight 5810
thanx
juwlz
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
jonathancharles wrote:
it is a TF 5810 PVRt which i am gathering is different to the straight 5810
No, it's the same thing. But the recommended firmware is still 5.15.09T (not Plus).

Julie

panaman
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 May 2006 Posts: 412 Location: Southampton
chunkywizard wrote:
Just to say on the 10th of October I removed Ab and Te patches from the recommended firmware. This fixes a couple of issues for a few people. Apart from that nothing has changed. http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/firmware.php automatically changes to reflect the date new firmwares are uploaded and so that's why you may have been alerted to the 'new' recommended firmware. People running 5.13.65T from April 09 don't need to upgrade unless recommended to in other threads. All users not currently running an April 09 'T' firmware are still recommended to upgrade to the latest 'T' version (ie 5.13.65T or 5.15.09T)

HTH

CW

Hi, I upgraded my firmware last night to the recommended using FWLoader, but I am really missing the [Ab] patch, also the [De] patch although to a lesser degree. MyInfo signature shows what changes were made.

What are the problems people are experiencing with [Ab]? I have used it since release and I love it. Am I able to use HDFW to add it back in again? I didn't get the option to add [De] like I thought I would in the flashing progress, so can I add that too or can I use the DE TAP? I have set Media Manager not to look for the DE patch/TAP.

BTW I tried HDFW & the firmware string along the top seems to have the first part of it overwritten twice - would that be because the patch list is now so long?

Sorry if I am kind of double posting (other post on FPLogger thread), but I want to get my machine back to being stable and not missing any recordings before I go on holiday.

Many thanks in advance Smile

juwlz
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
panaman wrote:
Hi, I upgraded my firmware last night to the recommended using FWLoader, but I am really missing the [Ab] patch, also the [De] patch although to a lesser degree.

What are the problems people are experiencing with [Ab]? I have used it since release and I love it. Am I able to use HDFW to add it back in again? I didn't get the option to add [De] like I thought I would in the flashing progress, so can I add that too or can I use the DE TAP? I have set Media Manager not to look for the DE patch/TAP.
There's no problem with either patch other than people not wanting them. Ab puts bookmarks in, so the yellow button jumps to the bookmark instead of jumping 30s (or whatever it normally does without bookmarks), which people without TAPs that made use of the bookmarks didn't like.

Some TAPs are incompatible with De, so it's not installed by default.

You can add any extra patch you want by following the instructions in the FWLoad documentation (and in numerous posts on this forum) - just copy the extra patches you want to /ProgramFiles/InstallerFirmware/Add on the Toppy before running the firmware installer.

Julie

panaman
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
There's no problem with either patch other than people not wanting them. Ab puts bookmarks in, so the yellow button jumps to the bookmark instead of jumping 30s (or whatever it normally does without bookmarks), which people without TAPs that made use of the bookmarks didn't like.

Some TAPs are incompatible with De, so it's not installed by default.

You can add any extra patch you want by following the instructions in the FWLoad documentation (and in numerous posts on this forum) - just copy the extra patches you want to /ProgramFiles/InstallerFirmware/Add on the Toppy before running the firmware installer.

Julie

Thanks very much Julie for your speedy reply. My head has been in a spin since my Toppy started playing up and I have read so many posts about firmwares, loader etc that I somehow managed to miss the part about adding & removing patches.

As I have already updated my firmware is it best that I create the add directory (/ProgramFiles/InstallerFirmware/Add) for [Ab] & [De] and run the whole process again, including a factory reset and rescan, or can I just add those two patches somehow?

Would you know if my combination of TAPs is likely to cause any problems with [De]? I notice that it also removed [Sy] & [Te], but I don't think they will make any difference to me as mine is 456 & I don't run the DE TAP.

Thanks again
Steve

juwlz
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
panaman wrote:
As I have already updated my firmware is it best that I create the add directory (/ProgramFiles/InstallerFirmware/Add) for [Ab] & [De] and run the whole process again, including a factory reset and rescan, or can I just add those two patches somehow?
No need to do the Factory Reset and scan again - that deals with channels, not firmware and patches. Just copy the extra patches to your Toppy and then run the FW installer.
Quote:
Would you know if my combination of TAPs is likely to cause any problems with [De]? I notice that it also removed [Sy] & [Te], but I don't think they will make any difference to me as mine is 456 & I don't run the DE TAP.
I have no idea, I'm afraid. Sy certainly won't make a difference if your SysID is already 456.

Julie

panaman
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
Thanks very much Julie. I will have a go when I get home tonight and post back my results Smile

Thanks
Steve