Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Can't do the August upgrade

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Periproct
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Hi all

I hope this is in roughly the right place and isn't too dumb a question.

I'm following the PDF guide carefully but when I take the 5800 out of standby to start the download it just starts up as normal and no download.

I do have a 5 meter USB lead from the PC upstairs to the 4800 downstairs so could it be due to the delay in me pressing 'download' in TFD-USB and then making a mad dash downstairs to take the 5800 out of standby?

Altair works fine apart from the fact there have been a few times when I've had to disconnect and reconnect the USB lead from the computer before I can read the Topfields hard disk. Usually after not using Altair for a while.
A 110 minute film took just over an hour to download so not working at its fastest but does seem to be a reliable connection.

I'll stop waffling now apart from saying I'm SURE I'm doing exactly what the PDF guide tells me to do.
Regards, Nigel
charley
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Posts: 1563 Location: Belfast
It could be your long lead. Do you have a shorter lead that you could use. If so take the Toppy to the PC, probably easier than the other way round, and flash it. Then if that works back to the TV and aerial to scan for channels.

Toppy: TF5800PVR250GB &300GB;Firmware: ; Remote: Harmony 655; Tx:Divis; Autostart TAPs: MEISearch 1.35, MyStuff 6, AutoReboot V2.2, epg2mei, Power Manager v2.0, TAP Commander 1.2, TF5000 Display v1.50, MHEG_State; Other:
Periproct
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Don't know why I didn't think of that but I've tried it and no difference. Tried all the different USB ports as well.

Altair still works at around the same speed as with the 5 meter cable.

Before I took the Topfield to the PC I tried with a Maplin Active 5 meter USB 2 cable and again, Altair works and the upgrade won't.

Nigel
charley
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Periproct wrote:

I'm following the PDF guide carefully but when I take the 5800 out of standby to start the download it just starts up as normal and no download.

Just to check that you are using TFDN_USB not TFD-Down?

Toppy: TF5800PVR250GB &300GB;Firmware: ; Remote: Harmony 655; Tx:Divis; Autostart TAPs: MEISearch 1.35, MyStuff 6, AutoReboot V2.2, epg2mei, Power Manager v2.0, TAP Commander 1.2, TF5000 Display v1.50, MHEG_State; Other:
Richard46
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
Just a long shot; are you sure you have selected the unzipped file and not the zipped one; the tiny find window can be confusing in my experience.
Periproct
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
This has got me beat.

Definately TFDN USB and definately the unzipped file. Just in case I had a dodgy file I downloaded again to a different location and tried that file. I've tried all my USB ports. Rebooted the PC before trying.
I've tried three different USB leads and Altair works on all of them but the upgrade won't. (Control panel shows USBTopfieldDevices OK).

Next step is to either try on a PC at work or try a serial upgrade. Not sure of the procedure on that - it says reset set top box but I don't know if that is taking it out of standby as with USB or a power off or a reset via the remote.

Got to give up for tonight, work tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.
Regards, Nige
charley
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Periproct wrote:
This has got me beat.

Thanks for the advice.
Regards, Nige

Sorry your are having no success Sad
Let us know how you progress tomorrow.

Richard46
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
Periproct wrote:

I do have a 5 meter USB lead from the PC upstairs to the 4800 downstairs so could it be due to the delay in me pressing 'download' in TFD-USB and then making a mad dash downstairs to take the 5800 out of standby?

Nigel are you sure you are not getting an error message on the display when you come out of standby? e.g. E 01 or something like that. I have downloaded new firmware to both my Toppys today with a 5m cable so I doubt that is the problem. Racking brain for any other explanation; but sorry Sad

Richard
andrec
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 1349 Location: Bristol, U.K.
Richard46 wrote:
Racking brain for any other explanation; but sorry Sad

Likewise, and sorry to suggest this, but just to be certain - you haven't left Altair up and talking to the PC while you try do the upgrade, have you?

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
All it does is C4.56, run and then the channel number so it's just starting up as normal.
I've been trying to think this through. Does this method of upgrading via USB mean that every time the Topfild comes out of standby it looks to see if an upgrade is waiting on the USB port?

I've been trying to find some info on a serial upgrade but I've only found the german PDF on the Topfield site. If anybody can tell me what
'Schalten Sie nun die Ziel STB ein und der Downloadvorgang startet automatisch.'
means I'll give them a big wet sloppy kiss. (Not really). Obviously the last bit is 'and the download will start automatically' but I need to know what to do to the Toppy.

I've got to give up on this tonight as I've got to be up at 05:30 tmorrow and I'm getting a wee bit irritated.
Regards, Nige.
andrec
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 1349 Location: Bristol, U.K.
Periproct wrote:
If anybody can tell me what
'Schalten Sie nun die Ziel STB ein und der Downloadvorgang startet automatisch.'
means I'll give them a big wet sloppy kiss. (Not really).

Babelfish says:

"Switching you now the goal STB and the Downloadvorgang starts automatically."

... which seems clear enough to me Rolling Eyes.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
andrec wrote:
Richard46 wrote:
Racking brain for any other explanation; but sorry Sad

Likewise, and sorry to suggest this, but just to be certain - you haven't left Altair up and talking to the PC while you try do the upgrade, have you?

I appreciate any advice from all you good people. Smile

No, Altair closed before trying. Maybe I should try without using Altair first in case it is causing a problem.

Nige
ceejbee
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 145 Location: The Black Country
Periproct wrote:
Next step is to either try on a PC at work or try a serial upgrade. Not sure of the procedure on that - it says reset set top box but I don't know if that is taking it out of standby as with USB or a power off or a reset via the remote.

If you're reading this on Friday morning, I hope you didn't lose any sleep. Wink

Each time I do a firmware update, I follow the instructions in Turbosat's pdf guide, which can be found here:
http://www.heathrowsystems.com/downloads/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=23
Although this was written for the May update, it is still relevant. The firmware update is at the end of the pdf file. As you will see, they recommend actually unplugging the Toppy from the mains, rather than just putting it into standby.

I'm just wondering if starting from a 'cold boot' may trigger the download.

ceejbee.
Periproct
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
andrec wrote:

Babelfish says:

"Switching you now the goal STB and the Downloadvorgang starts automatically."

... which seems clear enough to me Rolling Eyes.

Aaargh! Smile

Just occurred to me that I've had the Toppy ten days now and it's behaved perfectly so why am I so bothered about the upgrade. I just hate to be beaten I guess.

I'm definately off now, see you all tomorrow night.
Bye, Nige.
peteru
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:51 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 79 Location: Sydney, Australia
Periproct wrote:
Does this method of upgrading via USB mean that every time the Topfild comes out of standby it looks to see if an upgrade is waiting on the USB port?

That is correct. Every time the firmware boots, it spends several seconds waiting for a firmware upgrade on both the USB and serial ports.