Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Latest Firmware an Upgrade for the Better?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
moogaloo
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK
I have been reading the upgrade posts on the latest firmware upgrade and have heard that some people think the screen scaling is better/worse then before. also I think I have read about lockouts etc.

I am being a bit conservative and am trying to work out whether to upgrade or not. So I am interested in good experiences as well as bad.

Cheers guinapigs!

Chris
jimscrivener
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jul 2005 Posts: 132 Location: Hastings UK
Personally I've had no problems with screen ratio (JVC TV), lockups or other bugs.

No obvious difference in how it works on the surface.

For me it's a better choice if it prevents the many lost recordings I've had.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK
OK as I understand some teles cock up if they are set to auto-resize. If this is switched of (and I can't think of a reason to have it on?) then all is the same as the May firmware?

Therefore my only other concern is the lockouts. It would be good to have peoples general experiences as I all I get to read are the problems on the other threads!
Stormin
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 155 Location: Newbury
Upgraded a breeze, and no problems so far. Only managed a few hours playing time so far though. Not suffering any crashes or freezes.
Switched back to auto time and am seeing how that goes now(the only real issue I had with the May firmware).

Upgraded with Jagsepg, quickjump installed.
Snick
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 102
Had my first 0MB failure last night Mad after installing the new firmware a few hours earlier. Previously I hadn't experienced any of these for at least 2 months
benhinman
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 May 2005 Posts: 44
Im loving it. No scart switches for different aspect ratio's for me... I now can look at the screen whilst changing channels Smile
jumbo
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
If the new firmware really fixes bugs present in previous firmwares I'd like to know (from Topfield) exactly under what conditions the previous firmware manifested those bugs so that I can convince myself that the bug is gone. I would not have required such an assurance if I had total confidence in Topfield's bug hunters - unfortunately I don't!

Bugs do not manifest themselves randomly. There may well be many conditions that, together, give rise to some bugs which can be infrequent. Nevertheless they are known.

I am assuming that Nigel and Co (Turbosat folk) will be performing exactly such a task in "ticking-off" the bug list and I for one would appreciate a conclusive and objective assessment of the new firmware. Meanwhile back to the devil I knew - May Firmware!
Refrenz
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 May 2005 Posts: 45 Location: Wales, UK
moogaloo wrote:
OK as I understand some teles cock up if they are set to auto-resize. If this is switched of (and I can't think of a reason to have it on?) then all is the same as the May firmware?

I can give a good reason to have auto-screen switching set to on ... it saves having to fiddle with the TV remote and manually put the TV picture into the correct aspect ratio.

My JVC is set to automatically change the aspect ratio depending on the picture broadcast, and before the August update it worked like a charm (and continues to behave correctly with other devices like my DVD player, XBox and Gamecube). Since the August update I noticed the picture still does automatically change to the correct aspect ratio on all channels except for ITV News and bid-up.tv. This indicates there is a fault with the way the Toppy is handling aspect ratios on those channels, not the TV.

As so many people have reported aspect ratio faults across several different makes and models of TV, and the one common factor associated with each setup is the Toppy running the August firmware, its pretty clear its not a TV fault, but a fault with the Toppy.
andyh
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 Jun 2005 Posts: 53 Location: Aberdeenshire
moogaloo wrote:

Mine is screwed with auto-resize off. 16:9 OK but 4:3 broadcasts are never correct - always stretched. No adjustment of TV or Toppy can fix this with the August firmware. This works perfectly the with May firmware, I've not had major problems with any of the May firmware bugs and I don't see much in the way of new functionality in the new firmware. So I'm sticking with Mays firmware. I've not had time to read up on exactly what was being fixed with the aspect ratios - but I think more people were happy with it as it was before. Topfield can't afford to give a reviewer a machine with this firmware on it! I note that the update is not yet on the main Topfield site!
mkok
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Bradford
No problems so far. Using a panny 42 series 6 plasma

Krell kav400xi, copland CDA823, Martin logan clarity, Clearaudio solution turntable with unify arm, Topfield TF5800pvr, Denon 3910 DVD and 3805 reciever using denon link 3. Three martin logan fresco's. rel strataIII sub.
panasonic 42pwd6 plasma. Nintendo Wii
malc
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
mkok wrote:
No problems so far. Using a panny 42 series 6 plasma

Does a panny series 6 screen have auto switching? I suppose you might be using scart but from what I've read that's not the recommended route for PW6. If you're on RGB then it wouldn't switch - no signal, AFAIK.
moogaloo
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Still only heard about Problems and no problems. Is there anything which is working better than the previous version?
Aborigine
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Apr 2005 Posts: 447 Location: Amersham
moogaloo wrote:
Is there anything which is working better than the previous version?

Minor bugs 52 (onscreen keyboard causes reboot) and 54 (large mp3 folders cause crash) have been reported as improved in Aug firmware.

Many of the bugs that are supposed to be fixed are more sporadic so harder to test. It may well be that there are improvements or resolutions to bugs such as no sound recordings - I don't think I've seen a report of one with Aug firmware. The forums seem to be crowded with posts of aspect ratio problems (which affect some TVs more than others & hopefully can easily be corrected by Topfield in an interim firmware) and various crashing scenarios (which may not be affecting many people - I've not had one myself). To many reading the forums it looks like the new firmware is a disaster - I suspect it is not.

It would be useful if we could have some sort of table somewhere on the site listing supposed bugfixes and feature changes implemented with a summary of comments indicating evidence the new firmware is doing, or not doing, what it should. It would also help if we had an official list of changes from Topfield...
Stormin
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 155 Location: Newbury
They only things I was suffering from was incorrect time stamps, not suffered since Aug update, and the keyboard crashing and again not happened since Aug update. Can't comment on the others as didn't suffer from them.
My advise would be if you suffered from no sound or missed timers try the update, otherwise it might be worth waiting till the sept one.
sgtwilko
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 117
Refrenz wrote:

Since the August update I noticed the picture still does automatically change to the correct aspect ratio on all channels except for ITV News and bid-up.tv. This indicates there is a fault with the way the Toppy is handling aspect ratios on those channels, not the TV.

I noticed this, but I found that it depends on what channel you watch before.
So moving from News24 (widescreen) to ITV News will show ITV News in widescreen. Moving from Sky news (4:3) to ITVNews will show ITVNews in 4:3.

Discovery, ITVNews and one of the Bid channels have this problem for me. I think Topfield have used the AFDs and any channel that doesn't send one, doesn't change ratio. So you are left with the ratio from the last channel you watched.