Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Toppy Updater - Version X7c Now Available

Page 1 of 12
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
EMJB
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3632 Location: Maldon Essex
Fed up with checking your TAPs are up to date? Fed up with checking your patches are up to date? Fed up with checking whether CW has produced new recommended firmware? Want a simple installer for TAPs consisting of only one file? If any of these, and if you use Windows,Toppy Updater might be a help.

Toppy Updater is a Windows application intended to simplify the task of keeping your Toppy TAP etc files up to date. It compares the versions on the Toppy with versions on the internet, using file length, file sum check, and information in the file (TAPs), information in the file name (patches), or date of last file it installed (other file types). The connection to the Toppy can either be a direct USB connection or via FTP and a slug/ASUS/Linkstation etc running ftpd-Topfield 0.7.4 or later.

It is primarily aimed at the moderately IT-savvy user, rather than the complete novice. For more details see here, and download with some sample control files from here. It may look complicated, but once you have the control files set up it is fairly straightforward, and many control files should suit all users.

It is still in a fairly rough form, but I am looking for volunteers who can check it for bugs in the basic principles and comment on how these principles could be improved, particularly in terms of making it easier for the "luddites" to use. There are also some specific suggestions at the end of the pdf file on which I would like comments. At the present time I am NOT interested in detailed presentation issues such a colours, typos, precise wording/layout of information etc unless they have a significant impact on usability for reasonably experienced users.

May I stress that (for reasons I don't entirely understand) it should be run from a local hard drive. A 2 minute run time turned into nearer 20 for CW when he tried running from a network drive, and some files got lost!

Finally thanks to CW for his support and feedback on this project.

EMJB

Last edited by EMJB on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:05 pm; edited 7 times in total
jumbo
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Not a serious Windows user but a darn good idea. Will defo give it a try.
ezhik
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Dec 2006 Posts: 69
I'm constantly amazed at the new innovations coming forth! I just gave this a go, and worked fine under Windows 7 64 beta, via SLUG. Found a few updates I was unaware of, definitely a keeper!

TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; TAP Commander 1.34; Font Manager 1.0d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.3; MHEG On/Off A3; (FastScanGUI v0.6b);
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
If anyone has any static URLs they wanted added to the examples please post them here.

Cheers

CW

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Fairly static things that would also prove useful would be links to the appropriate forum thread for each TAP (etc.), and maybe a link to the author's web page for the TAP.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
Fairly static things that would also prove useful would be links to the appropriate forum thread for each TAP (etc.), and maybe a link to the author's web page for the TAP.

Certainly possible, but from which stage(s) in the process would you expect to be able to follow the links? When a new version is found?

My main concern with such a feature would be who will maintain all the links etc. Unfortunately odd forum threads get started by others than the author, so the latest info may not lie in the "official thread". No problem for me if the authors are going to do the work, I certainly don't want to take on such a task. There is also a risk of making this application do several things poorly rather than one thing well.

Perhaps a sensible compromise would be to allow the definition of an optional field in the control files which the author could point to a suitable part of his web site or even the Toppy download "More Info" page.

Anyway, thanks for your interest,

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
EMJB wrote:
Certainly possible, but from which stage(s) in the process would you expect to be able to follow the links?
Absolutely everywhere a TAP was mentioned. Smile

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
I'm not getting a connection via my Asus:
Code:
Failed to connect to Toppy.  Retry settings or retry connection

billmars
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 761
ToppyUpdaterListAll.txt seems to be the default control file loaded at startup.
When I disabled some TAPs, the saved file didn't have a semicolon after 'Update Disabled'.
Saving the file also seemed to remove the double hash for a comment line to a single hash.
Connected via Slug OK and successfully updated the two logo files.
Good!

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.6;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
EMJB
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
If anyone has any static URLs they wanted added to the examples please post them here.

Cheers

CW

or better still, make, test, and post new control files here so people can simply cut and paste them into a new text file! I would like to see a separate control file for each TAP, or group of closely related TAPs, rather than trying to assemble large personalised files that need adapting for every user.

Generating this reply has made me think that there is a problem with this concept for files that had no pre-defined home (e.g. HDFW, Channel Manager, Favourites Manager, Screenshot grabbers, games etc). It would be possible for control files to refer to a pseudo-directory, and each user would nominate once where this directory really is. Users of TapLauncher will keep them in /PF/TapLauncher, other s in /PF/ itself, and others in directories such as /PF/Tools.

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
billmars wrote:
ToppyUpdaterListAll.txt seems to be the default control file loaded at startup.
Yes - all others will be ignored if this is present.

billmars wrote:
When I disabled some TAPs, the saved file didn't have a semicolon after 'Update Disabled'.
Saving the file also seemed to remove the double hash for a comment line to a single hash.
Connected via Slug OK and successfully updated the two logo files.
Good!

Oops - obviously didn't keep the save routine up to date with other changes.

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
I'm not getting a connection via my Asus:
Code:
Failed to connect to Toppy.  Retry settings or retry connection

Are you sure you have the right settings and haven't got a firewall in the way? IIRC CW has an ASUS and not reported any problems, I use a LinkStation, and success has been reported with a slug.

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
EMJB wrote:
Certainly possible, but from which stage(s) in the process would you expect to be able to follow the links?
Absolutely everywhere a TAP was mentioned. Smile

A pain, but not a technical problem if only one link per file.

EMJB
glenmcfar
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Pretty sure. I'm using the same settings that I use to access my Toppy via ftp (asus) Confused

Glen.

EMJB
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
Pretty sure. I'm using the same settings that I use to access my Toppy via ftp (asus) Confused

Glen.

You have shut down FileZilla or whatever you normally use for FTP, haven't you?

If that is not the problem, perhaps CW can help.

EMJB