Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Maybe a workaround for the widescreen switching problem

Page 1 of 1
plugman
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Posted on the bugs forum thought I would replicate here. Works without problems on a sony 28f70

OK I'm on QVC. If I set my Toppy to 16/9 and the TV's auto format to on then black bars down the side and a strecthed 14/9 picture. However turn the TV's auto format to off and all is well 16/9 displays correctly as does 4/3. I dont understand why the TV's auto format causes odd picture ratios with some equipment but the Toppy is not unique to cause problems.

Hope this helps Very Happy
tommyboyuk
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 Apr 2005 Posts: 134 Location: London; Crystal Palace TM
I always have widescreen switching off so didn't notice this problem.

I have a Toshiba 32WL36.

Yes, switching off widescreen switching does work.

However, it should be right. Let's hope we get a fix soon.

Personally I prefer my 4:3 to be stretchy vision and thought the old way was the correct way (user choice)..... although I say that quietly as this subject can get quite heated Wink.

Cheers

TB
Aborigine
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Apr 2005 Posts: 447 Location: Amersham
Turning off auto on the TV (Sony WS) gives me a partial fix. All channels seem to be displaying correctly now though it sometimes seems to take 10 secs to switch to 4:3, quicker to switch to 16:9.
Wolfie
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 252
Doesn't work for me on my poor old Philips 36" tv - I get the same problem with the latest firmware whether the tv auto-switching is switched to on or off.

Mick.
chrispayze
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2005 Posts: 217 Location: Bristol, UK
Yep, def not a TV switching problem, definitely a Toppy Display problem. There's a thread in the BUGS section of this forum.

Cheers
Chris

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
after some more testing on my f70 things seem to be ok until you reach bid tv when it doesnt switch to widecreen using the p+ button on the remote but if you go to price drop and then back using the p- button all is OK. Very odd. Same thing with discovery r time, tcm and itv news.

Never had a problem before but at least ITV3 displays correctly which it dint on teh Fusion.
bellandbottle
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 857 Location: Reading - Crystal Palace
Aborigine wrote:
Turning off auto on the TV (Sony WS) gives me a partial fix. All channels seem to be displaying correctly now though it sometimes seems to take 10 secs to switch to 4:3, quicker to switch to 16:9.

I have also turned off auto on my Sony WS and it is all now reasonable, but not perfect Sad .

Others: HDDinfo V2.0, TAP Commander 1.0.1, UK Timers v1.2, Channel Organiser 2A.
DB1
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
A thought just came to me. I wonder if the Toppy is fixing the screen size and sending that *plus* the signal that made him change the size - so that the TV does it again? Or am I talking b******s?