Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
http://de.geocities.com/deadbeef55/
SteveWalker
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Nothing bit trouble after the upgrade. Lockups galore but, more irritatingly, constant screen size switching (this is auto on my old wide-screen Philips and I can't turn it off). Reverted to the may 11 version and much happier now, although the screen still switches from time to time. Evil or Very Mad
shenson
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 570
I've had one lockup/crash since installing the new version.

While looking BBC1, MHEG. I left the room for a while. When I came back the quarter size picture was there and working OK (i.e. not frozen) the rest of the screen was blank.

Changing channels resulted in the same quarter size picture and blank screen.

After few channel changes the box crashed. That is it restarted and displayed the "checking folders" box.
simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
I've had numerous crashes with MHEG on the BBC and ITV with the May 11th firmware. Usually related to the Toppy jumping between the main channel and 701/702.
jumbo
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
I've had 3 frozen pictures so far with the sound being broadcast fine! Never had this before. Could not go to standby via remote or Toppy front panel. Had to unplug at the wall! Gone back to May firmware Crying or Very sad

TAPS: Jag, Improbox, UKTimers.
sebw
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 293 Location: Southampton
I have the new firmware and have done a factory reset.

Since my previous post on this thread concerning freezes on channel change, I have removed ImproBox144RC4 and the freeze has not happened again/yet.

I still have:

JAGS 2.7b5
TF5000Display 1.22
QuickJumb 1.21

installed in my AutoStart.
ms98tjc
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
Anyone else see a pattern. everyone with lock ups seems to have Improbox installed! I had the same problem 4 crashes in a row, removed improbox and now all is well. I though it was a conflict between improbox and quick jump.

I had improbox, quick jump, and uktimers installed
Gerti
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 May 2005 Posts: 347
Hi!

If you change a channel, ImproBox always does the same independend from the channel you switch to.
ImproBox checks if you change a channel and will bring the Box up and than check if there are extended Infos or not.
There is no difference between the channels you switch from.
So if it happens only on a few channels, there seems to be another reason for that...
This functionality works like this since the beginning of ImproBox without any problems...
If there are Problems now with a new Firmware, you maybe should go back to the old Firmware (because the new one seem to have a lot of Bugs)...

Best regards,
Gerti
Gerti
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
Hi!

Additional Questions:

Does the crash while changing channels happen always at the same channels or does it happen on different channels?

Does it happen also, if ImproBox is displayed manually while changing channels (you have to display it manually and leave it displayed for a while while changing channels)?

Does it also happen if the "Scaling-Feature" is disabled?

Was a recording running on the channel you switch to?

Does the EIT (of ImproBox) work in the channels where it crashes (if it were always the same channels)?

If the Toppy freezes after changing channel, do you see the ImproBox (would it be displayed after changing the channel)?
If you see the ImproBox, is the time still ticking in its right top corner?

Maybe I can find a reason for that but I didn't think so...

Best regards,
Gerti
Gerti
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Hi!

If you take a look at this thread:
http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1484

He had a lot of crashes without ImproBox...

Maybe you should really go back to the old Firmware?!

Best regards,
Gerti
vroomfondle
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
msteggalls wrote:
After installing the August Firmware as well the the aspect ratio issue, I also had numerous lock ups - although haven't seen anyone else report this (yet)....
Being this unstable and with aspect ratio issue, I've now gone back to the May firmware.

Martyn

Took the plunge and put the Aug f/w on last Friday. The screen aspect ratio switching problem is not really worse than before, but different.
Had no crashes at all. Also didn't have to do a reset/rescan, settings all seemed to the same as before..
Its so stable I'm wondering if I've installed a different version from those who are reporting these problems...
Taps: I don't use Improbox. I do use Jag, Uktimers, Quickjump, Bookmark 2uk and DeadBeef's display tap which I upgraded to v1.22 (now at 1.23)
Gerti
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Hi!

Due to the fact that I can't find anything what seems to be responsible for the crashes, I just exclude the EIT check while the ImproBox is displayed...

Could you give this version a try?
http://www.improbox.de/improbox144RC8_UK.zip

Best regards,
Gerti
sgtwilko
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 117
Gerti wrote:

If you take a look at this thread:
http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1484

He had a lot of crashes without ImproBox...

Maybe you should really go back to the old Firmware?!

Hi,

Yes I didn't notice this thread before I posted, I presumed it would be in the bugs section....

Since upgrading to the new firmware I've had over half a dozen crashes. Before the upgrade, I didn't have a single one.

I've had a crash in BBC weather MHEG.

I've also had a crash when recording two programmes, one from TCM one from BBC3.

I've then had a crash after it restarted, trying to get it to record the rest of the film on TCM, by pressing record from the normal Toppy guide.

I've also had a couple of crashes just watching TV.

I've now had 4 or 5 programmes fail to record because the Toppy has restarted during the early stages (<10 minutes in for most), and once near the end (last nights Dr. Who failed at the 43rd minute making the entire recording invalid).

After the first couple, I unplugged the Toppy to see if that would help. It hasn't.

I'm only running the UK bookmark Tap.
msteggalls
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Apr 2005 Posts: 721 Location: Ipswich, UK
msteggalls wrote:
I will have ago at the other suggestions (including the extreme!) and experiment tomorrow evening when I'll have more time....Martyn

Well Thurday came and went and in the end I didn't manage to do any further testing until yesterday (Sunday)!

Reloaded the Aug Firmware and guess what - couldn't make the Toppy crash. No matter how much I changed channels, with/without TAP installed, it stayed up.

Did a factory reset as well and still it wouldn't crash - so idea why it was so unstable the first time in did the firmware upgrade & factory reset....

Have also manged to find how to get my TV to cope with the accept ratio issue (even if it means changing each time I change channel or the ratio changes), so I going to try and stick with the new firmware to see if it now stays stable...

Martyn