Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  August firmware update now available for download

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
IanP
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
There's still no sign of the August update on the official Topfield site. I wonder if it's because of the AFD/widescreen/4:3 problems.
rayd
Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Jun 2005 Posts: 377 Location: West London
IanP wrote:
There's still no sign of the August update on the official Topfield site. I wonder if it's because of the AFD/widescreen/4:3 problems.

I must admit I was hoping for the same situation as the May 10th update - a fixed version on May 11th.

But maybe the Koreans don't see the problem as seriously as we do Crying or Very sad

Ray D
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Now we've had a weekend to play with the updated Toppy, is anyone feeling brave enough to summarise the faults fixed, faults not fixed, and new faults introduced by the August firmware upgrade?

I'm still not convinced to give it a try.

My gripes were:-

Channel changing in EPG.
[edit] I can't see this mentioned for either update ?

Being kicked out of my viewing when timers started/stopped. (upgrade comments suggest partial fix this release, possible full fix in Sept update, but not what elements are in each fix)
[edit] Should've read the upgrade PDF document to the end Embarassed It shows the breakdown of the faults and which are supposed to be fixed in which version.

Not being able to lock a recording when setting the timer.
[edit] Down as a Sept fix.

No auto aspect ratio option to prevent black bars.
[edit] August fix, but forum posts suggest this still doesn't work.

All this talk of lock-ups, re-boots, and aspect ratio problems has really put me off upgrading at this time.

Will there be an interim fix released, like there was in May, or are we to wait until the Sept release?

I might wait until the Sept OTA fix is available and then run the August upgrade just to get the OTA fix.

Many thanks
Hyde.

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13[/size:da1fd20a33]
DX
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:

All this talk of lock-ups, re-boots, and aspect ratio problems has really put me off upgrading at this time.

I wouldn't be too put off. It's true some people are having problems, but for others things work OK.

If it was an irreversable OTA upgrade like on some machines I'd urge caution, but with the toppy if you are unlucky and fall into the problem category you can always reinstall the May firmware.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Hmmm...

What you say is true of course. I guess I was hoping that the general consensus was of a much more stable/usable update.

I really don't want to be making recordings only to find that the box locks up and I lose them. Our TV viewing has changed completely with this machine. We rarely watch "live", so faulty recordings would put us back to square one, especially if this happened to a selection of recordings from a series.

I bought this machine because of the forum members findings, that in the main, the machine worked out of the box and that any faults were minor or had work arounds.

I guess I'm lucky in having direct line of sight to my transmiter around 10 miles away or so; so I've not been suffering from the no sound, blank recordings, etc. to any great degree since buying the machine at the end of May. One or two at most.

But this latest update appears to be giving more users more trouble than the previous level of firmware.

It's also gone very quiet in terms of feedback from Turbosat via Nigel which doesn't give me any confidence either.

The second of the two May updates came out very quickly, but I've not seen anything so far by way of a fix for these latest user reported problems Sad

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
Stormin
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 155 Location: Newbury
It doesn't sound like you main gripes are dealt with by the Aug update, so for you it may be worth waiting for the september one.
My main gripes were problems with the time being reset (no problem since upadate), and the keyboard crashing also appears fixed. Not had any problems of lock-ups or reboots.
NickW
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Aug 2005 Posts: 388
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
It's also gone very quiet in terms of feedback from Turbosat via Nigel which doesn't give me any confidence either.

I think Nigel is on holiday, and has been since Friday, so he won't be able to give feedback.

Regards,

Nick.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Nigel being on holiday would explain it.

Is Nigel the only link though Question I thought that the Forum moderators were also "in the loop" so to speak Question

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Stormin wrote:
It doesn't sound like you main gripes are dealt with by the Aug update, so for you it may be worth waiting for the september one....

I think you're right. My gripes were of a lower priority to the ones being addressed in the August update, but I didn't anticipate that this update could potentially take me a few steps backwards.

I was expecting more of my gripes to be addressed in the August update. Had I read the upgrade PDF document to the end, my expectations would have been adjusted earlier, my fault. Embarassed

Roll on the Sept update Smile

DX
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
Nigel is on holiday, so that's why there isn't a lot of feedback via that route.

As to the fix for the May 10th radio problem coming out the next day that may have raised unfair expectations as to turn round time. That was presumably easy to find, and more importantly easy to retest.

The August problems are perhaps more difficult, plus unlike May we have an update scheduled for next month anyway, lessening the need for an interim update.

I don't think we have established a pattern to the reports of lockups and crashes, so finding their cause is likely to be difficult. With the aspect ration problems they only happen on some TV's, but presumably not one's available to the topfield or the beta testers as if they were the problems would have been found and fixed pre-release. The last thing topfield will want to do is rush out a fix that works for one or two TV's, but doesn't fix others, or even worse breaks TV's that were working.

It sounds like you are generally happy with the May software so, in the absense of any compelling reason to upgrade, holding off a few days to see what develops may be your best course.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
DX wrote:
Nigel is on holiday, so that's why there isn't a lot of feedback via that route.

Is Nigel the only contact though? Great job though he does, I thought that the other forum moderators were also involved?

DX wrote:
It sounds like you are generally happy with the May software so, in the absense of any compelling reason to upgrade, holding off a few days to see what develops may be your best course.

I think you've confirmed my thoughts. Just have to sit on my hands for a few weeks more.

nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
I might wait until the Sept OTA fix is available and then run the August upgrade just to get the OTA fix.

Can I just make it clear that there's no indication yet that the September fix will be transmitted OTA?

The August one enables OTA updates, but the broadcasting of a fix depends on both the availability of a fix, and of a broadcast slot.

It could be that there won't be a slot until well after the next update is available, or there might even be another fix by the time there's a slot. The basic facts are a) there is OTA support in the August update and b) there is no more information about when an OTA update will be broadcast.

Nigel.

Last edited by nwhitfield on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
Oh dear Crying or Very sad

Not what I wanted to hear [/expectationmodereset]

Thanks for the clarification.

NickW
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Aug 2005 Posts: 388
Hi,

I feel like the people on here (and to a certain extent Turbosat customers) have been used as 'unofficial' beta testers for this upgrade.

That's why I think it hasn't appeared on Topfield's site. I feel sure that once the widescreen issue is sorted (and perhaps a couple of other things) that it will go on 'general' release.

Time will tell...

Regards,

Nick.
Attar
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Hi Everybody!

I wonder if anyone else has had the same problems with the August firmware upgrade as I have? All went well with it?s installation - I followed the instructions to the letter - all seemed OK.

I use Jag?s EPG and that seemed to integrate well too.

Shortly after that things went awry. I can think of nothing I did that could have caused it?

When I switch my Toppy on now it doesn?t show the channel number, just the time (the box looks like it?s switched off even though it?s working). Then when I put it into standby four little dots flash before switching off. They?re the same dots that appeared during the upgrade procedure.

Also Jag?s EGP doesn?t record. You can see the listing but any timers you have, don?t record. The only way to record anything is using the regular Toppy EPG.

I would like to un-upgrade it but don?t know if this is possible.

If I try to re-install the update, it downloads but doesn?t go through all the stages that it went through when I did it first!

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this or un-install the upgrade I would be eternally grateful!!!

Cheers
Attar