Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  EIT_Sub -- reliable EIT collection

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
sweep wrote:
Thanks for the acronymn explanations guys

juwlz wrote:
Information about Eit_sub is on R2-D2's web page and in its (linked) thread.
The linked thread is this one Wink
I guess EIT Sub Game is just EIT Sub which auto calls the game - I'll give it a go later
The 'Game' derivative of this TAP is something R2 created for me as I play the toppy built in games, particularly Bomb Hexa. The Game version suspends collection of EIT data whilst you're playing the game and allows for smooth game play rather than a very jerky unresponsive exeprience without this version of the TAP.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
sweep
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2008 Posts: 173 Location: Winter Hill
Ah right - I might give that a whirl too. I'm rather partial to a bit of bomb hexa myself too

Installed patch string: AbBfBqCeCkCpCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSlSrStSyT2TdTeTfTpTsVrXpXwXl
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Let me know when you get above 50k Wink

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
R2-D2 wrote:
Versatile wrote:
The change (population) starts if I am on say CH4 native EPG and press OK. This exits the EPG and switches the TV channel to CH4. If I go straight back into native EPG I can watch ITV1, CH4 and FIVE all busy populating.
Ah right, that's more understandable -- but Hyde was reporting that moving the selection in grid view kicked the EIT collection into working. Confused
Indeed, for me, all I had to do was cursor from a working channel to a non-working channel and hey presto a second or two later it was fully populated. I didn't have to exit the EPG or physically change to watch that channel to get the Toppy epg to populate.
It's happened again. This time native epg is already populated but MyStuff isn't for the following channels...

TV
ITV3
QVC
Virgin1
Bid TV
Fiver
Five USA
Quest
CITV

Radio
Smash Hits

MuxA basically. No Tx works scheduled at this time.

I've tried playing Bomb Hexa, pressing OK on both EPG2MEI and EIT Sub (Game), stopping and restarting MyStuff and finally putting the toppy into standby and then turning it on again. Nothing forces the epg data collection.

Oh just tried moving MHEG Control B2 out of AS and rebooting the toppy. I'll give it a while and see if the epg data starts up again.

[edit]Data is back now. Still not conclusive if MHEG Control is the cause though. I'll leave it out of AS and see if the problem occurs, although it's been a pretty long period between these last two instances.

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Just has that old issue of the game reacting with extreme movements based on a single key press on the remote. I happen to have HyperTerminal open at the time and recorded this...
Code:

EIT Sub (Game) bit= 618
15:46:25 REC 0: new event evtID=b75c on LCN   1 (was b75c)
16:07:55 REC 0: new event evtID=b763 on LCN   1 (was b75c)
16:59:53 REC 0: new event evtID=add4 on LCN   1 (was b763)
17:01:23 REC 0: new event evtID=ff17 on LCN  20 (was add4)
17:01:32 REC 0: new event evtID=ff17 on LCN  20 (was ff17)
17:07:22 REC 0: new event evtID=a5fe on LCN   2 (was ff17)
EIT Sub (Game) bit= 7f0
17:40:22 REC 0: new event evtID=a5fe on LCN   2 (was a5fe)
Not sure but I think the two EIT Sub Game lines were where I entered and exited Bomb Hexa. So why would the toppy be seeing new events and could these be having the effect I see from the remote?

R2-D2
Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
So why would the toppy be seeing new events
Because you're recording, and that EIT collection is completely separate.
Quote:
could these be having the effect I see from the remote?
Dunno!

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Not between 15:46:25 and 17:40:22 I wasn't Confused

First timer I have for today is Dancing on Ice @ 18:25.

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Not between 15:46:25 and 17:40:22 I wasn't Confused
Timeshifting is recording.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Ah, good point. Thought I'd switched that off, but clearly MyInfo thinks otherwise Wink

So are you saying the the (Game) version of your TAP still gathers epg data if it thinks there's a recording going on?

I thought going into the game menu switched off eit gathering irrespective of what the toppy was/is/going to do?

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
So are you saying the the (Game) version of your TAP still gathers epg data if it thinks there's a recording going on?
The specific EIT data for the recording channel(s) is always collected -- it's completely separate to the EIT collection for the EPG.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh Sad

Looks like I'll go and turn TS off too then. Smile

Rtlprmft
Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:

Technical: all EIT collection is now forced onto PathA (which is active from startup), no filtering is done below the section level, and the system is setup just once (no timing out or resetting).

I observed the following "feature" and would like to ask if this is an expected bahaviour (TF5000PVRt, FW 03/11/2006):

When I run eit_sub.tap and I am recording with Tuner 1 and now switch on another channel watching with Tuner 2 in parallel the N&N EPG data is stopped from being collected. As soon as a switch off eit_sub.tap the N&N data for the channel I am watching with T2 is populated.
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Rtlprmft wrote:
When I run eit_sub.tap and I am recording with Tuner 1 and now switch on another channel watching with Tuner 2 in parallel the N&N EPG data is stopped from being collected.

Firstly, "path" is not the same as "tuner", so that means that it's not really relevant which tuners were in use.

This is not expected behaviour. Although, without [Xp], playing back a recording could easily be on Path A, which would destroy EIT collection, but you'd also suffer from CYR problems a lot. There may also be a subtlety in your TF5000 firmware, but I don't really remember anything obvious, apart from the issue of whether your broadcasters send the whole EPG on every Mux or not.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
From today's point of view it seems it might be a problem of the broadcaster as you suggested, but I realized something else: When I enable the tap it can slow down response time of my Toppy quite significantly. As soon as I stop the tap it is back to normal. Using cpu_load.tap and eit_sub enabled I usually get loads below 100evts/s. But sometimes it jumps up to 600evts/s and slows down response time. My impression is that it has to do with switching between channels (mux's) which have epg and which have no epg. Is there anything obvious (like a missing patch), which could be responsible for this behaviour? Actually, I like eit_sub a lot because it seems obviously more stable and much faster then the Toppy's one, but when blocking my Toppy it would not be an option. Btw, for some days my broadcaster stopped sending EPG data completely, or only very limited amount (a few programs per channel) and I never saw this behaviour. Currently, I get around 200 programs per channel via epg. So it seems a problem with the amount of epg data.
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Rtlprmft wrote:
But sometimes it jumps up to 600evts/s and slows down response time.

With the UK Freeview this delay is usually just in the first 10-15 minutes as the whole EPG (across all muxes) is collected from any initial channel. It does require a decent EIT section cache though, to then drop the EIT activity to almost zero for the rest of the time (until there are schedule changes or a new day's worth of data). [Es] was stage one for UK firmwares, but this has been optimised in the SecCacheUK TAP.

In a setup where the broadcaster only sends the EPG data for their own mux and without a tailored section cache, I don't think you'll find EIT_Sub that helpful.