Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Will Today be the day?? - August Firmware??

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
jimscrivener
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jul 2005 Posts: 132 Location: Hastings UK
The aspect ratio on 0 wasn't working because I had the 0 set as fast rewind to start on Improbox!

Otherwise, the clue about resetting the System output to 16:9 did the trick for me.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Aug 2005 Posts: 388
Barry wrote:
If that ones aimed at me, then yes everything set up as it should be.

There is definitely a problem, viewing Channel 4 currently, which is being dispalyed properly via my Sky+, and Fusion, but it is definitely stretched on the Toppy.

(Jim, my Zero button still changes ratios)

Yes, it was stretched height-wise. It seems to be OK now (unless I have just got used to it!).

Regards,

Nick.
Barry
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 May 2005 Posts: 122 Location: South West
andyfras wrote:
Barry, did you disturb your scart connections when you did the upgrade? Perhaps pin 8 is not making a connection?

No fraid not.

Even the toppy on screen channel/info box graphics are wrong.

If you have a widescreen TV set to auto ratio change, try Channel 4, it is obvious to me the picture is stretched, select another channel, say 5, and you will note that the graphic you normally get in top left hand corner for the for the channel you have just selected is off screen.
andyfras
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
Barry, it's fine on my WS TV which is set to auto. I haven't seen a problem on any channel.
jimscrivener
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jul 2005 Posts: 132 Location: Hastings UK
When I first went into Toppy menus after the download - eg to set Favourites - I couldn't see all of the page as it seemed oddly stretched. Without obviously doing anything this corrected itself. It sounds like you have a similar problem that hasn't self-corrected.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I'm just not seeing any of that; BBC1 and Channel 4 both correctly signal to my TV that they've got widescreen programs. The TV is in widescreen mode, with the picture correctly place.

Channel 5 is broadcasting a 4:3 program, that's correctly displayed, pillarboxed at 4:3.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Site helper Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: London
So thus far, it would seem that if there is a problem with the new firmware, it is that the signal being sent is not incorrect, but is done so in such a way that it is interpreted incorrectly by certain televisions.
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll blame all those people who enjoy buggered up pictures and pestered us to add AFD support to the new firmware Wink

Nothing to do with me, guv!

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
Can anyone tell me if the Improbox recall key jump feature or QuickJump leaves the progressbar on screen after a skip?

If it does I'll have to release a fix for Quickjump to close the progress bar again.
Darkmatter
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Sebby wrote:
So thus far, it would seem that if there is a problem with the new firmware...

Ummmmm?.before passing judgement I strongly suggest power cycling the Toppy. That puts your Toppy in to known state, and is the reason behind why we recommending a factory reset. Neither are strictly necessary, the unit will operate happily with out performing either operation, however it help us considerably to work out what?s going on as everyone?s Toppy is starting from the same baseline.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Site helper Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: London
Darkmatter wrote:
Sebby wrote:
So thus far, it would seem that if there is a problem with the new firmware...

Ummmmm?.before passing judgement I strongly suggest power cycling the Toppy. That puts your Toppy in to known state, and is the reason behind why we recommending a factory reset. Neither are strictly necessary, the unit will operate happily with out performing either operation, however it help us considerably to work out what?s going on as everyone?s Toppy is starting from the same baseline.

I don't have a widescreen attached to my Toppy, so I'm merely summarising the situation so far. Smile
whatpassword
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 466 Location: Mid Beds, Sandy Heath Transmitter
Have now gone back to May firmware and picture wise, everything is working ok again. I did the power cycle and factory reset bit several times, alas the new firmware has a problem. Sorry...

Taps - RemoteExtenderMHEG1.1, UKSubtitle1.4, mcgCYRResume1.0, DescriptionExtender1.5, eit2meibeta7.2, MyStuff4.54b, MP3 Jukebox2.1d, MediaManager1.3aBeta4, TAPCommander1.0beta8
Other -
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I have started a thread in the Bugs section, where I would like people who have experimented with widescreen support to let us know what makes and models of TV they're using, since it appears both problems so far have been with Panasonic sets.

http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13008

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 102
Has anyone else noticed a slightly improved pic quality from today's upgrade Smile I'm sure it looks sharper Shocked
rexxel
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Just installed the August firmware and was looking forward to these feature changes...

1) Increase speed of fast foward and rewind.
2) Playback of a current recording should start from the beginning.
3) Recordings should be lockable before they are complete.

However, I cannot see any changes to to the old firmware (May), can anybody confirm a change in these features with the new firmware?

I can see the new version number (5.12.00) in the IRD Status screen and have perfromed a factory reset.

Many thanks.