Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Volume patches

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
MrOctagon wrote:
if I apply Vd I'll have no volume control in the native toppy menus?
Well, that's how I read it. But twiddling the bit doesn't actually seem to make any difference. Confused The doc for the STV6412A says "Soft Volume Change" can be set to "Active" (normal) or "Disabled" (what [Vd] sets).

Has anybody given their Toppy a [Vc]? Mine doesn't seem to want [Vd]. And maybe a lot of programmers will be happy they can now use [Vb] on their Toppy. Laughing

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
chunkywizard wrote:
Will any of these patch have the effect of maximizing the Toppy volume after a factory reset?

CW

To answer my own question, Vd does this (but not what it's meant to!). Basically Vb allows the maximum volume to be higher (but seems to default to the same level as normal after a factory reset), Vc doesn't seem to change the volume after reset at all and Vd sets it to max (but the volume control is still usable)

HTH

CW

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
Vb allows the maximum volume to be higher (but seems to default to the same level as normal after a factory reset)
It'll be 70% of the higher output, which may be nearer to 100% of the normal output. Laughing So you could maybe keep the Toppy's preferred volume level without worrying about resets (CW: remember that most people don't reset their Toppy every 5 minutes...).

It's a pity that [Vd] doesn't seem to work. But I could disable the volume controls another way... which would also help with the reset issue.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Yep, I understand I am an unusual case! Very Happy Still having to reset the transparency to 0, volume to max etc. gets a pain after the 10th time. ChannelManager handles this for me IIRC but now you have FastScanGUI I am using that for scanning...

CW

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
FastScanGUI I am using that for scanning...
Yeah, I'll get around to letting that keep the current settings soon, which should make things easier for you.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5645 Location: Cheltenham
chunkywizard wrote:
Still having to reset the transparency to 0, volume to max etc. gets a pain after the 10th time.
Are you aware that Topset has an advanced mode that allows you to modify the factory reset values? You enable the mode in the options.
jumbo
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Using [Vc] only, RCA amplitude stays at max (as expected) whilst reducing volume until the lowest setting (just before the on-screen bar disappears at min) when it suddenly drops to min (or 0); Expected behaviour or something else?
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
It probably mutes when it reaches 0, which is a different thing entirely. Given that the firmware uses muting all over the place to avoid nasty audio glitches, I suspect this is something to leave in.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5645 Location: Cheltenham
Unless you want a patch called [Ds] DestroySpeakers!
jumbo
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
I have a request (I'm probably the only one for this but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained):

My audio setup (using an external amplifier as well as a cordless headphone) is such that I'd like my SCART audio output to be On or Off in a 'dual' (or reverse or opposite) state to that of the RCA, i.e. when SCART is On, RCA is Off and vice versa: Can this be achieved via a patch or TAP? This would save many daily key presses. So for example, when the Toppy is 'muted', I'd like RCA to be On and when Toppy is 'unmuted', I'd like RCA to be Off. (By the way I've got a simple electronic circuit diagram to do this but haven't bothered buidling it)
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
The switch doesn't offer that sort of control, AFAIK.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 May 2006 Posts: 150
The result I am trying to get is: (a) The volume maximum level to be increased, (b) the volume on the audio cinch to be set at the new increased maximum level by default (and even after factory resets), (c) the audio volume to be set at the new increased maximum level (even after factory resets) and (d) I do not care whether or not I loose the soft volume controls in the native toppy menus.

If I apply Vb, Vc and Vd (regardless of what they are advertised to do), will I get the result I want?

(I am thinking that I will get this result based previous posts but wanted to check)

Thanks in advance for any replies.
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
[Vd] doesn't appear to work according to my interpretation of the switch doc. But soft volume changes (apart from muting) could probably be prevented in other ways. As simonc says, the Factory Reset defaults can be adjusted by TopSet, although I'm sure a patch could do that as well.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
My Toppy has now got [Vd] V2. This patches the volume change routine to keep the volume at max, except when it reaches zero or mutes. Therefore you'll no longer need to worry about a Factory Reset changing it to 70%.

Note: won't apply to HDMI models.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Mar 2008 Posts: 911
R2-D2 wrote:

Note: won't apply to HDMI models.

Bu@@er!

?