Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Humax (Foxsat) Freesat HD PVR 320Gb

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
lozzer
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Mar 2007 Posts: 40
Took delivery of the new Humax HD Freesat PVR last Friday and after the dish was realligned managed to get it working pretty much straight away.

As an owner of the Toppy Freeview PVR I have experienced several recording anomalies and lock-ups over the past 18 months and that's without any TAPs installed.

So, when I started to use the Humax box I expected a few odd things to happen, but it looks really good and overall the experience is very positive. The interface looks very mature (what I mean by this is the screens look well designed and are very clear) and the manual is pretty good too.

The unit runs whisper quiet and I don't hear any of the hard disk chattering I do on the Toppy when I'm in chase mode.

The picture quality in SD mode is comparable with the Toppy and the inbuilt tuner for my Panasonic Viera LCD TV and it's the kind of unit that you just expect to work and it does just that!

And of course, in HD mode, the picture is stunning. Never having seen programs in HD before, I'm still at the wide eyed stage and I must admit that going back to SD is a bit of a disappointment (strange how your expectations change - I've been more than happy with SD since I got the Toppy).

I did have a question about the dish alignment when it was being setup, so I called Humax tech. support and they were very good which makes a change in this day and age.

I got mine from Turbosat for 299.95+9.95 delivery and I know they'll probably come down in price, but just having it in time for Christmas is enough reason to buy it right now rather than wait a few months to see what I can get it for then.

It looks as if Humax have done a pretty good job first time round with this kit, but reading all the reviews I have about their Freeview offerings, I'm so pleased I bought my Toppy. The question now is, do I continue to use the Toppy or try and sell it on?

I think I'll wait and see how reliable Freesat is before making any rash decisions.

Last edited by lozzer on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
lozzer wrote:
As an owner of the Toppy Freesat PVR

I'll reply on the assumption that you mean a Toppy Freeview PVR. The question is: What channels do you watch? You won't get Dave, Virgin1, 4Music, TMF, Five US, Fiver, Sky Sports News, Sky3 or UKTV History on your Freesat box. If you watch any of the above channels then I say keep your Toppy.

Glen.

lozzer
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Mar 2007 Posts: 40
Yes, Freeview. I've edited the post. Thanks

Good advice about the difference in channels.

I tend to watch mostly BBC, films and sport, but if it's not free to air I'll do without, hence Freeview and Freesat and not Sky.

Have watched Dave when there's nothing else on. Get enough of the the music channels at the gym, so not bothered about those either and I'd rather be on the golf course than watching sports news.

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
I'll get a Freesat box but I'll keep my Toppy. I'd miss Virgin1 and 4Music, but not much else.

Glen.

jumbo
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
lozzer wrote:
As an owner of the Toppy Freeview PVR I have experienced several recording anomalies and lock-ups over the past 18 months and that's without any TAPs installed.
I find the above the most significant part of your post: TAPs being (arguably) the biggest selling point of the Toppy and you simply ignored them Shocked

By the way what was the extra cost of cabling + LNB to allow you to watch one channel whilst recording another? Perhaps you haven't got that far yet.

I'll definitely head the Freesat PVR way when it becomes economically acceptable to me!
digsatman
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 May 2005 Posts: 166 Location: West Midlands
Am I correct in thinking that there is no way of archiving from the Humax hard disc to a PC or external drive?

I find this one of the most useful features of the Toppy 5800.
Bawbagg
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 1122
I've been running with a V+ and Toppy in parallel for nearly 3 years (I was one of the first to get V+ when it launched - when it was called TV Drive).

V+ is arguably a more feature rich PVR than Humax HDR, yet we only ever use it for stuff not available via Freeview (mainly kids channels and Sky Movies).

BBCHD and ITVHD (yes, we used to have it on Telewest) are a great novelty at first, however the lack of content means we spend 99% of our viewing time on SD, and Toppy is a far superior box for SD than V+, I can't compare to the HDR as I have no experience of it.

I still can't help thinking that "proper" HD (where the balance of progs is in HD over SD) is a long, long way away. You'll be marvelling at the HD pics for a while yet (some of the Olympics were stunning), but my advice would be to not sell the Toppy. After all.... MSV6 will be on the horizon soon Smile.

DX
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
digsatman wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that there is no way of archiving from the Humax hard disc to a PC or external drive?

I find this one of the most useful features of the Toppy 5800.

The Foxsat lets you plug in an external USB drive (or memory stick) and archive recordings to that. I haven't got round to trying it so I have no idea of speed. A possible gotcha is exporting HD Content may not be possible until the BBC fixes the rights signalling.
alan_m
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
glenmcfar wrote:
lozzer wrote:
As an owner of the Toppy Freesat PVR

I'll reply on the assumption that you mean a Toppy Freeview PVR. The question is: What channels do you watch? You won't get Dave, Virgin1, 4Music, TMF, Five US, Fiver, Sky Sports News, Sky3 or UKTV History on your Freesat box. If you watch any of the above channels then I say keep your Toppy.

Glen.

But he will get another 400+ free to air channels on the Humax as well as the Freesat channels. However he will at there is still nothing to watch Smile

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Nov 2006 Posts: 84 Location: Great Missenden
Bawbagg wrote:
After all.... MSV6 will be on the horizon soon Smile.

What's MSV6?

?
juwlz
Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
DougF wrote:
What's MSV6?
MyStuff Version 6 (which will enable enhanced SeriesLink functionality, regardless of firmware version).

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
For anyone looking for the Foxsat recorder, I just managed to bag one from Argos for home delivery (coming monday!!!).

AFD10 will get you free delivery.
XMASDISCOUNT will get you a crisp tenner off.

If only I had stopped arguing with myself long enough I could have had it by now and watched the Variety Performance in glorious HD Crying or Very sad

Glen.

glenmcfar
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
It came this morning. The joy. I've been watching the BBC HD previews all morning. Hurry up, HD content, hurry up!!!!

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
You'll be getting a false impression of ITV-HD because they've actually got more than 2 things on in a week at the moment.

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Had a look at the ITV HD schedule. Hmmm, ah well. Quite excited about HD Night Garden tonight, though.

Glen

[edit: sorry, my SON is quite excited Embarassed ]