Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Timeshift saver

Page 3 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
mossman
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2006 Posts: 582 Location: South of Birmingham, TX: Sutton Coldfield
I couldn't state hand on heart that it was exactly the same time, but the recording was due to start at 10:28pm and I started playing with TS a few mins beforehand thinking that i just had enough time before the recording started. I can't remember seeing any recording roundels come up as I played around (although it is possible that I could have missed them, but unlikely I think), but after the system crashed I went into the MS epg and noticed that the CT normally set for Spooks on BBC3 had gone, so I hit the Record button, and noticed a roundel come up entitled Spooks-2.rec, implying that there was already a Spooks.rec (I use autofile on Spooks, so there would never be any recordings in the top-level directory). I went into the native Toppy archive and confirmed that there was a Spooks.rec from earlier, it was marked as an invalid DVB file (well, invalid something file anyway Wink). As I use Rh (and know that it works, it's been a life-saver when I have been messing around ..... Smile) my immediate thought was that the recording was just about to start.

The manually-started BBC3 recording has a start time of 10:28pm on it, running for the correct 1hr 8 mins (1hr and -2/+6 padding).

I am not running Kt, don't have it on my PC, don't even know what it does!

Last edited by mossman on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

R2-D2
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Is that a "No" to using [Kt], then? Smile If the recording had just started then it could easily have done that stupid moving stuff (that it does without [Kt]), and that could have messed up a lot of things...

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2006 Posts: 582 Location: South of Birmingham, TX: Sutton Coldfield
R2-D2 wrote:
Is that a "No" to using [Kt], then? Smile
Sorry, edited a reply to KT as an afterthought ..... I was too wrapped up in mentally going through the exact sequence of events last night.

Quote:
If the recording had just started then it could easily have done that stupid moving stuff (that it does without [Kt]), and that could have messed up a lot of things...
Oh. So should I use Kt then? And where is it? I cannot see it on the Matrix page....

R2-D2
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
mossman wrote:
So should I use Kt then?
Err... yes. Shocked
Quote:
And where is it?
Hiding in plain sight. Laughing

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
Ah, you mean THAT Kt patch!

Just shows how what appear to be insignificant patches are actually rather important!

R2-D2
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
mossman wrote:
Just shows how what appear to be insignificant patches are actually rather important!
I don't think the timeshift buffer being randomly dropped because the system is confused is insignificant... As stated in that thread, fixing the obvious bugs was a prerequisite to handling the buffer in more friendly ways. So [Kt] is pretty much mandatory, but I'm not implying other bugs won't be uncovered...

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I meant that I had assumed that the patch was insignificant for me in that I had seen that thread some time ago and not really thought about it.

Anyway, Kt now on.

And, thinking about it, the issue of crashes that I had occasionally experienced when using P+ has only been when there has been an active recording taking place (although, apart from last night, there was no timeshift happening, and I always run with time shift set to Off.

R2-D2
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
I've tried to reproduce it with a timer firing during timeshifting and without the [Kt] patch. As expected, the system was rather thoroughly confused and that resulted in a crash -- and frankly I'm surprised that worse things haven't happened in the past... Shocked dropping the buffer is probably the nicest on the list of possibilities!

TSSaver v0.4 is a bit more defensive and will try to drop back to plain service information (as in v0.1) if it detects this confusion, but [Kt] will prevent the problem in the first place.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
I just tried TSSaver v0.4 with the Kt patch and the file was saved with audio description instead of programme sound.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
the file was saved with audio description instead of programme sound.
It had both in it, though? And you could change over to the right one in Sound menu? (And was it originally on "Auto", not one of the two "eng"s?) Signature correct, so not running [Ra]? If so it should have Auto-ed and picked the right one...

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Or signature wrong and running an old [Ra] instead of v3?

Glen.

andyfras
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
The options for audio were Auto or Track 01. Neither had the correct audio.

I am not running any version of Ra. Should I be?

I've just tried it again and this time it worked OK. I checked the Sound Track options and this time AUTO, eng and eng were there.

R2-D2
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
The options for audio were Auto or Track 01. Neither had the correct audio.
That's a bit odd. What was it like when you were timeshifting? I assume it had the right track at that point.
Quote:
I am not running any version of Ra. Should I be?
If you can repeat this then it would be interesting if the patch made a difference, but I can't think how it might. Confused

Edit: just caught your edit -- it looks like an odd glitch in the playback then? If so, [Ra] would avoid that -- and it points the finger at the Auto system.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
What was it like when you were timeshifting? I assume it had the right track at that point.

The sound was fine while timeshifting. Incidently it was on BBC1, as was the second successful one.

I will install Ra now; I don't know how I missed that one.

glenmcfar
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
andyfras wrote:
I will install Ra now; I don't know how I missed that one.

Its a good one, but it won't help any of your current recordings, only stuff you record AFTER applying it. I wish someone had told me Embarassed

Glen.