Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Correcting the YUV output

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
bdb
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 499
as r2 says, the loader would be the place for bootup options - give him enough encouragement, and I'm sure he'll eventually pluck up the courage to start patching the loader as well...
I played around with some of the stv6412 registers in my remote_sharer tap, I use the 'slow blanking' wire to communicate between the two toppies.

Since the YUV shares the DAC in the emma chip with the RGB, and uses the same path through the stv6412, I don't think that you can programmatically adjust the levels independantly.

bdb
Bawbagg
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 1122
R2-D2 wrote:
I think FireBird and DeadBeef have been there a long, long time before us, and there's already stuff that manipulates things in this area. The trouble with the timer boot is not working out what to do (since that's already known) -- the initial switch is done by the Loader code which can't be changed (not easily, and not by any sensible person, anyway).
Rats. Yup - I remember that discussion now. Scuppered until we get someone crazy enough to patch the loader Shocked

R2-D2 wrote:
The firmware holds local copies of the registers, if that's what you mean (obviously it sets the hardware registers to achieve various things). There are all sorts of defaults it sets up that are ripe for patching, including a volume boost, or even disabling the soft volume control.
Yup - I saw all those in the datasheet. Of limited interest to most though - I could be tempted to apply a patch to stop the volume control adjusting audio out on cinch connectors Wink.

R2-D2 wrote:
The trouble with the YUV output may not lie with this switch, though. The Component signal is treated in pretty much the same way as the RGB signal, which is not surprising, given that the same pins are used. So it's the input to the switch (from the EMMA2 chipset?) that may need fiddling with.
Yikes. I presume that is non-trivial?

Bawbagg
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
bdb wrote:
Since the YUV shares the DAC in the emma chip with the RGB, and uses the same path through the stv6412, I don't think that you can programmatically adjust the levels independantly.
So, as per my previous post, if it is cloud-cuckoo-land to patch the EMMA2 code, then it's soldering irons at dawn for those that want a corrected component output.

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Bawbagg wrote:
Yikes. I presume that is non-trivial?
Requires somebody who knows which bits to prod on the EMMA2, if there are any. So that pretty much rules me out -- with best bets being bdb and FireBird, I think.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
bdb wrote:
he'll eventually pluck up the courage to start patching the loader as well...
Last time I thought about it was a year ago!

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody have some detailed info on the mentioned hardware mod to improve the component output?

Bawbagg
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
alindl wrote:
Does anybody have some detailed info on the mentioned hardware mod to improve the component output?
Is this what you're looking for?

sim_roberts
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:16 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Jan 2009 Posts: 94
Apologies for digging up an old thread but I just moved from composite to component (YUV) and noticed that a) the picture seems a bit dark and b) the reds are insanely over saturated. I came here looking for a solution and found this thread. Will this patch help with my problems? (most of the chat above was above my head)
Black Cloud
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2005 Posts: 299
Hi, just discovered this patch and would like to say thanks!

Was using RGB and wanted to try component pending some new component gear expected soon. Found that the component ouput of the Toppy was slightly sharper, slightly less noisy, but really dull and oversaturated in comparison to RGB on my Panny professional plasma display. Adding the [Vy] patch certainly improves the luminance, leaving the chroma still too high in comparison.

Having since switched back to RGB because of the colour issue, RGB seems unaffected even though the patch is still in place.

PS. In case anyone else makes the silly mistake of applying this patch dynamically, please be aware that you won't see the difference unless you apply it in flash and then reboot!