Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Passing Keys onto next TAP

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
BobD
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
Zip file found now. Thanks very much. This will really help me learn about TAPs. Very generous of you. I can learn how to do options from your code. Cool.

Blimey, didn't even see the recordedsec field!

[edit] Yup, that does the trick.

Thanks again!
simonc
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5639 Location: Cheltenham
It's a bit of a work in progress with the display. I was trying to emulate the green play progress circle, but it keeps getting overwritten by one drawn by the firmware. Also, when timeshifting the Toppy displays a grey lozenge instead and when I realised this I gave up for the time being.
BobD
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'll take a proper look at your code tomorrow maybe (I'm at work for the rest of the week, today was a day off).

My TAP now does nearly all I want it to, just need a few tweaks (and it sometimes shows a slightly different time remaining (1 minute or 2 secs) than the Toppy pause and progress bar, and ImproBox, but I reckon thats just rounding errors).

Next step is to make it look nicer maybe. Perhaps try a round display (that must be the PutGd stuff from your code?), but I might not bother, as I think it looks OK in the box, though I could do with knowing the RGB that ImprobBox uses (might be in an ini file somewhere) to make it match. I'll try to post some screenshots somewhere, to see what you think.

I have not been able to compile yours yet (differences in paths etc, what is d:\source\topfield\api?) and have just been using it for reference so far, but will give it a proper go at the weekend.

I really appreciate you sharing your code and experience. Thanks!
BobD
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote
Getting better. It now matches ImproBox on time remaining, identifies Pause mode, and looks pretty cool. Think I will leave it in a box for now, rather than a circle, though might try to give it slightly round corners.

Can I attach an image somehow using this forum software? Just to let you know what it looks like. Actually, I must have some space with my ISP that I have never used. I'll investigate that, and then I could upload a copy of the TAP for anyone who is interested in seeing it and suggesting improvements.

[edit]Nope, no web space. I'll have to borrow one of my friend's site!

Still need to tidy the code though!

Already starting thinking about my next TAP (a more Sky+ style recordings listing). Life is Toppy land is fun!
simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5639 Location: Cheltenham
I didn't have any webspace until I wrote QuickJump. Geocities is easy to set up, free and the ads aren't too intrusive.
BobD
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Just signed up. I will upload the TAP later tonight or at the weekend. If you wouldn't mind taking a look and letting me know what you think that would be great.

Cheers
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Guys,

if you want free webspace have a look at www.sitesled.com. Its really good, lots of space (100Mb), lots of transfer (30Gb/month) and best of all no ads! I don't know how they do it but well worth signing up. Also you get a nice URL, ie http://chunkywizard.sitesled.com

Cheers

Chunkywizard

p.s. Bob, if you want to attach an image to the forum, upload it to your webspace they put the image URL inside the IMG tags eg [img]http://image_url[/img] . Note I think it has to be a .jpg and it has a maximum of about 500x500 (I think)

BobD
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Hi chunkywizard

Sitesled looks good (and a nice site you've got. Arcade emulation - ah nostalgia aint what it used to be), but as I've just signed up with geocities (and can't see myself using for anything other than temp file uploads) I'll stick with that one for now.

And thanksm but I'd figured out how to upload an image, but then thought "How the hell do I take a screenshot from my Toppy?"!!

Reckon I'll just upload the TAP and let you try it for yourselves (I bet you can't wait Smile)
Darkmatter
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
A screen capture is dead easy. Just download, and run ?Screen Capture with OSD?.

Then just press a button, and a bitmap file is created in the directory where you installed the TAP. Use Altair to remove any non-windows characters in the name (?Confused is the usual one). Transfer it to your PC. Open it in a graphical package, and convert to JPEG. Upload it to your web space, and link it here. That?s it ? dead easy.

Only one thing to note, you may have to watch out for the order your TAPs are loaded in. Obviously, you don?t want to block the keys before they get to activate the screen capture TAP. Probably not a problem in your case. I normally boot the Toppy from afresh, with no TAPs loaded. Manually invoke screen capture first, and then the TAP I want to take a capture of. I?ve assign capture to ?i? and view to ?TV/Sat? ? that ensures compatibility with most things.
BobD
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Great. Thanks for that. I will add some screenshots tonight.
BobD
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
OK, no screenshots (had a few problems there), but the first version of my TAP is here http://www.geocities.com/bobshop371/posinfo.zip.

It now seems to do all I want it to do, which is:

1) Pop up for a few seconds whenever the current play position changes (in playback, timeshift or chase mode)
2) Display current play mode (eg Play, rewind, forward)
3) Display number of minutes (or seconds) into the program and number remaining (currently displays seconds if < 1 min, and rounded minutes otherwise)
4) Exits TAP if you press EXIT while the display is visible

If anyone is interested, please take a look and let me know what you think. I welcome all comments! There is no customization at the moment, so it appears top left only, but I may get round to adding this later. This was very much a hobby & learning TAP, tailored to what I wanted it to do. If there is any interest then I can develop it further, but to be honest its a very simple TAP that I'm sure could be written much better.

There is no code in the zip, as it still needs tidying.

I apologise in advance if it knackers anything up on your Toppy! The only poblem I have had with it has been some OSD blebs (and occasionaly things like ImproBox appearing at the top of the screen) but these I think are caused by the debug messages which are off in this version (but let me know if you get anything like that)

Thanks for all the help and sample code posted here Smile
chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Bob,

I loaded your TAP and had a play. It's a very nice way of learning what TAPs do! I have a bit of feedback and things you might want to tidy up. I noticed if I pause live tv, the display is slightly out of sync with the one in the top right hand corner, it would be good if these are in sync. I also noticed your timing doesn't jump second by second, occasionally it jump 2 secs at a time. The standard one always seems to jump 1sec at a time (although I think sometimes its not a second between changes, some seem short and others longer!) Lastly, I see you have rounded the time paused for after 60sec to 1m. I see it display -3m (on pause) around -2.45 on the other display, I think it should switch on minute boundaries.

Any way, nice first TAP, hope my comments help,

Cheers

Chunkywizard

BobD
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
Hi chunkywizard

Thanks for the feedback! Does that mean that you had no display problems (ie blebs etc)? I thought this version was free of them, but then I had a few. I think they were caused by a recording finishing and the various other OSDs (ImproBox and Toppy standards) changing, and clashing with me.

Quote:
I noticed if I pause live tv, the display is slightly out of sync with the one in the top right hand corner, it would be good if these are in sync.
Yeah, I struggled with this a bit. It seems to be particular bad if the live delay is not large, so if I am showing - <20 secs then it can bea bit out.

Quote:
I also noticed your timing doesn't jump second by second, occasionally it jump 2 secs at a time. The standard one always seems to jump 1sec at a time (although I think sometimes its not a second between changes, some seem short and others longer!)
Hum. I think is caused by my attempts to stop the display flickering. Sometimes it would (because of the method I use for converting from blocks to seconds) flip from eg 3s to 4s and then back to 3! Yikes. So I just tried to stabalise it a bit more, and this was the result.

Quote:
I see you have rounded the time paused for after 60sec to 1m. I see it display -3m (on pause) around -2.45 on the other display, I think it should switch on minute boundaries.
If I follow you here, you are saying that for -2.45 you think it should show -2m? I decided to make it flip on -2.30 as I thought that would be more useful, but you could be right.

Did you find it useful and worth having (when these problems have been sorted out)?

Actually, I have moved on to my second TAP (which is working much better) and have decided possibly to merge the two.

The new one (http://www.geocities.com/bobshop371/mystuff.zip) is a new listing of recordings on your Toppy.

It comes up when the archive key is pressed. If archive is pressed again it switches to the standard and (for the moment when in beta) it closes the TAP if Exit if pressed when it is visible.

It displays recordings and day/dates, with a long info description (ie more than one line as in the standard (which is what really annoyed me about the standard)). Pressing Red while visible switches between sorting by date and sorting by program name. Pressing Green goes to start of the list. Pressing Yellow goes to bottom. Pressing Play or OK plays the selected recording.

It is also (in a SKY+ way) going to display Recorded, Playing, Recording (which it does now) and Viewed Xmin of Ymins (which is what I am working on) for any program that you have watched some of. Since this is the display produced by my first TAP, I thought I might merge the two into one TAP. I could of course just dump the common code into a new file, but it seemed clearer to have just one TAP running.

If I do merge them, I will try to fix the above bugs as I do. Writing this one has helped me understand TAPS even more, so it should be easier.

For anyone interested, this TAP does work, does not seem to cause any blebs etc, does what it says on the tin (or above actually), but:

1) Does not yet allow recordings to be deleted (will do soon)
2) Does not get the red/green/yelow button presses if QuickJump is loaded and you are playing a recording (possibly true with any other TAP that uses these keys)
3) Does not cope with folders
4) Assumes it is running in \Program Files (as it needs to find the DataFiles dir and so far I have no luck with TAP_Hdd_ChangeDir("/") or ("\\") so have to use (".."). What's that all about?
5) When displaying the name of the recording, it uses the name stored inthe file, and not the name of the file itself. This has (so far) resulted in one recording on my machine displaying the wrong name. I think this is caused by the Toppy storing the program info from the start of the program and not somewhere in the middle, and so picking it up from the previous program
6) When displaying start times, it automatically adds 3 mins to the start (as that is the current start adding I have set in JAGs) to display the program start, not the recording start
7) Is not customisable!

All of these will/may change in future versions. Again, if anyone wants to take a look and let me know their comments that would be cool.

Thanks again for your time and comments cw! Much appreciated.

Cheers
cazlar
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 121 Location: Back in Sydney!
I just had a look at your new tap, it looks pretty good, but all the names and descriptions are stuffed up for my files. By this I don't mean the description etc is for the previous program (although they may be too) but rather that the name sometimes seems to be fraction of the actual name and some of the extended info. Basically everything is all over the place. This may be due to the differences in how UK and Australian ext. info is broadcast.

Also I had a crash when I selected a saved recording, then selected a currently recording one (it tried to play it I think as it started a new green circle, while the red one was still there for that channel).
BobD
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
cazlar wrote:
I just had a look at your new tap, it looks pretty good, but all the names and descriptions are stuffed up for my files. By this I don't mean the description etc is for the previous program (although they may be too) but rather that the name sometimes seems to be fraction of the actual name and some of the extended info. Basically everything is all over the place. This may be due to the differences in how UK and Australian ext. info is broadcast.

Also I had a crash when I selected a saved recording, then selected a currently recording one (it tried to play it I think as it started a new green circle, while the red one was still there for that channel).

Hi cazlar

Thanks for trying it!

Which version of the Toppy do you have? This was written for the 5800 and I think the file format may be different for different boxes. I should have made it clear that this is 5800 only, sorry! There's no reason it couldn't work, I would just have to read different parts of the .rec file. Once the 5800 version is a bit more settled I'll add 5000 support (or whichever it is)