Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Upgrading Harddrive

Page 39 of 40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
andyfras wrote:
I am having a problem with copying Taps etc. from Programs on the original 250GB disk to the new one. It refuses to copy even a small .ini file, but I can copy large .rec files OK.
I had the same sort of problem. I narrowed it down to TopfHDRW not being happy to write to /ProgramFiles on the new disk (even though it had been formatted in the Toppy, as recommended). Eventually I got round this by making a new directory on the new disk in /DataFiles and copying all the old /ProgramFiles stuff there instead. Then when the disk was back in the Toppy I just used FTP to move the contents of this new directory to /ProgramFiles.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 761
The only problem I had with TopfHDRW was getting it to see my network drives (they were the only drives with enough space to copy the old disk to). Although on starting TopfHDRW again it did find one network drive, but not the one I wanted.
I ended up connecting both old and new drives on the same machine and copying directly - no problems!

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.6;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
moogaloo
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK
andyfras wrote:
I am having a problem with copying Taps etc. from Programs on the original 250GB disk to the new one. It refuses to copy even a small .ini file, but I can copy large .rec files OK.

Can you tell me what message or behaviour you are seeing? What happens if you first copy to your local PC hard disk and then from that to your new HDD does that work ok?

Also check the specs of your caddy and make sure that it's disk controller is not size limited. If you run the check disk in TopfHDRW for the new and old drives it may show a problem there.

DavidSteward
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Jan 2006 Posts: 26
I have been given a second TF5800. The current owner prefers a DVD recorder, I didn't argue.

It only has a 160G drive so I want to upgrade it. I have searched the posts but can't find one that gives the current best choice and the instructions of exactly what I need to buy and do. Can somebody please point me to the current definitive post.

I am trying to avoid having to read through over 50 pages of posts. Just being lazy.

Thanks
David

Last edited by DavidSteward on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
juwlz
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Not even the sticky Known working and non-working drives thread? Or the other active threads currently sitting at the top Firmwares, enhancements and bugs?

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Bob_Swede
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Oct 2007 Posts: 1066 Location: Sweden
DavidSteward wrote:
I have been given a second TF5800. The current owner prefers a DVD recorder, I didn't argue.

It only has a 160G drive so I want to upgrade it. I have searched the posts but can't find one that gives the current best choice and the instructions of exactly what I need to buy and do. Can somebody please point me to the current definitive post.

I am trying to avoid having to read through over 50 pages of posts. Just being lazy.

Thanks
David

A currently popular drive used by quite a few people (myself included) is a Samsung 1 Tb SATA EcoGreen drive. The EcoGreen runs at 5400 rpm and is a lot cooler than its 7200 rpm cousin. Get the EcoGreen one!

Since it is SATA you need to use a SATA/IDE adapter. I have compiled an illustrated thread with the ones I have found by actually reading through all 50+ pages of discussion posts here. You can find it here:
Working and nonworking SATA/IDE converters.
I believe the most convenient one is #9, which plugs right into the Toppy MB disk connector (after you drill a hole for the polarisation pin) and then you use a SATA cable to the actual drive.
I did not know about this when I upgraded so I used #8 instead. Also worked just fine.
HTH Very Happy

(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
andyfras
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
moogaloo wrote:
Can you tell me what message or behaviour you are seeing? What happens if you first copy to your local PC hard disk and then from that to your new HDD does that work ok?

Also check the specs of your caddy and make sure that it's disk controller is not size limited. If you run the check disk in TopfHDRW for the new and old drives it may show a problem there.

The size of the file was not the problem as it would happily copy large .rec files. It was not allowing me to copy Taps and settings directly to ProgramFiles. R2-D2 had the same problem (see above). I can't remember the message exactly, but I think it mentioned buffer over (or under) runs. I got around the problem by using Altair to copy the Programfiles to the new drive once it was installed in the Toppy, after I had used TopfHDRW to copy the .rec files.

Everything is up and running now and I am very happy with the new drive, especially in terms of heat and noise.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Lamkida
Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Can someone tell me HOW to change the harddisk.

I've spent the last three hours reading about what disks /conectors to buy, but have got bored beyond belief looking for a HOW TO page.

Is it simple? I have an old IDE disk, so is it a matter of unscrewing the bracket, un plugging the disk, reconnecting and away you go ?

Can you copy all the existing recordings by plugging both the old disk and the new into the desktop? What about the firmware, how is that copied.?

When I upgraded my Tivo there was a 10 page list of easy intructions to follow - buit gave you confidence you were doing it correctly.
kermit
Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
Lamkida wrote:
Is it simple? I have an old IDE disk, so is it a matter of unscrewing the bracket, un plugging the disk, reconnecting and away you go ?

Yes if the replacement disk is IDE (PATA)

Lamkida wrote:
Can you copy all the existing recordings by plugging both the old disk and the new into the desktop?

Yes. You need a PC based software tool like TopfHDRW or TFtool.

Lamkida wrote:
What about the firmware, how is that copied.?

Firmware isn't stored on the drive.

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
simonc
Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
Lamkida wrote:
I have an old IDE disk, so is it a matter of unscrewing the bracket, un plugging the disk, reconnecting and away you go ?
Some drives are known to cause problems, hence sticking with the drives listed in the Disk upgrades - known working and problem models thread is a good idea. You also need to consider the power profile of the new drive: it shouldn't exceed the requirements of the original drive. Again, stick to the drives listed in that thread and you'll be fine.
jumbo
Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Keep well away from "old" drives you may have lying about as their power requirements would be far higher than latest designs. The former would stress the Toppy PSU even more and shorten its life.
Lamkida
Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thats brilliant.

I've alread read hundreds of posts re good/bad drives. I think for the sake of 50-70 I'd upgrade to one of those 1Tb drives (1Tb Samsung EcoGreen F2). Just have to wait for Aria to get some in.

Many thanks.
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
I wouldn't get the SATA/IDE adapter from Aria. Their current idea of the "Newlink" one... isn't. Unless you can get them to confirm what they'll be sending you before you order, you'd be better picking up a proper Newlink from eBay or another place online (like CDL Micro).

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2006 Posts: 86
Lamkida wrote:
Ok, thats brilliant.

I've alread read hundreds of posts re good/bad drives. I think for the sake of 50-70 I'd upgrade to one of those 1Tb drives (1Tb Samsung EcoGreen F2). Just have to wait for Aria to get some in.

Many thanks.

Thats the one i got from Aria - very good price, very very fast delivery - exactly as ordered and well packed (Unlike Amazons packing of hard drives)

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.1; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.0; Bookmark 2uk 2.3a; Power Manager v1.1;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 19/3/10
jimi
Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 218
R2-D2 wrote:
I wouldn't get the SATA/IDE adapter from Aria. Their current idea of the "Newlink" one... isn't. Unless you can get them to confirm what they'll be sending you before you order, you'd be better picking up a proper Newlink from eBay or another place online (like CDL Micro).

Definitely, I got caught out last week with Aria, they substituted the adapter with another that doesn't work/won't fit in the Toppy. I got the correct one from CDLmicro. Just in the process of transferring my data files at the moment getting 700Mb/min transfer rate, is that good/bad/average ?
Went for a 500Gb Samsung EcoGreen F2 SATA-2 big enough for me and cheap (35) No problems with the installation, so far.

Jimi