Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Upgrading Harddrive

Page 38 of 40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
jumbo
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
When the great moment comes to switch on KEEP EVERYTHING WELL AWAY FROM THAT LARGE METAL HEATSINK! And whenever you switch off and unplug give the large capacitor a few minutes to discharge before you touch anything!
Shannock9
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Aug 2005 Posts: 1061
Torkijo wrote:
Hadnt thought of just twisting the heads off -will go with that one tomorrow. Cheers, T
You say heads - how many are knackered? As Jumbo said it will be better if you can save at least some. If you do twist off the head then after you separate the HDD from the carrier you may be able to grip the remaining shaft and get the bolt out. When dealing with (semi) knackered bolts (commonly miscalled 'screws') always try the correct screwdiver (correct profile and correct size) at close to the correct angle, pressing down (along the screwdriver axis as hard as you possibly can. Note that a same size Pozidrive will often engage a knackered Phillips when its own screwdriver no longer will - due to the Pozi head being "slightly less pointed".

If you do get any of them right out, use new 'screws' for the re-install Wink

Hope this helps,
Duncan

alan_m
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
Torkijo wrote:
Will do, PC accepts them, but is a small one so cant have additional drives inside so will use caddies.

On another note, Help, it appears the 250gb drive i have was an instal from whoever i bought it from as my Toppy had no seal on it. The real problem is the screws are in very very tight and are fairly soft - resulting in the first one being completely knackered by the screwdriver!

Not all cross head screws are the same and this often indicates that the wrong screwdriver head has been used.

If there is some of the cross left in the top of the screw file the point off of the screwdriver. This it allows the cross head bit on the driver to bite further out on the screw head.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
File or drill (a slow speed battery operated drill is best) the heads off but keep the swarf away from the drive and connectors etc.

?
johnsattuk
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2006 Posts: 46
Shannock9 wrote:
When dealing with (semi) knackered bolts (commonly miscalled 'screws')

As per the 'Engineers Bible' :-

Differentiation between Bolt and Screw. -

A bolt is an externally threaded fastener designed for insertion through holes in assembled parts, and is normally intended to be tightened or released by torquing a nut.

A screw is an externally threaded fastener capable of being inserted into holes in assembled parts, of mating with a preformed internal thread or forming its own thread and of being tightened or released by torquing the head.

An externally threaded fastener which is prevented from being turned during assembly, and which can be tightened or released only by torquing a nut is a bolt.
(Example: round head bolts, track bolts, plow bolts.)

An externally threaded fastener which has a thread form which prohibits assembly with a nut having a straight thread of multiple pitch length is a screw.
(Example: wood screws, tapping screws.)

An externally threaded fastener which must be assembled with a nut to perform its intended service is a bolt.
(Example.. heavy hex structural bolt.)

An externally threaded fastener which must be torqued by its head into a tapped or other preformed hole to perform its intended service is a screw.
(Example: square head set screw.)

jumbo
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
I think drilling/filing down screws or bolts attached to a hard drive is asking for trouble. I wouldn't do it myself and wouldn't recommend it to anyone either as the vibrations, static and the debris (attaching itself to the exposed electronics) could easily kill the drive. Hard drives are very sensitive and people often aren't.
alan_m
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
jumbo wrote:
I think drilling/filing down screws or bolts attached to a hard drive is asking for trouble. I wouldn't do it myself and wouldn't recommend it to anyone either as the vibrations, static and the debris (attaching itself to the exposed electronics) could easily kill the drive. Hard drives are very sensitive and people often aren't.

There is another method of sawing a slot in the head with a hacksaw and then using a flat bladed screwdriver. This would also generate metal filings Sad

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Oct 2007 Posts: 1066 Location: Sweden
Torkijo wrote:
(Please look on the previous page at the bottom)

EDIT: Didn't realize there was already a new page of posts here... This reply refers to the last one on the previous page.

When I did my upgrade I did not bother to put the old drive into my desktop, instead I used a 3.5" IDE to USB box, which I opened and then attached the power and IDE connectors to the old drive.
Then I attached the USB to my desktop and using TopfHDRW I then copied the recordings over to my main drive.
Then I unplugged the USB caddy and the drive from it and instead I attached the new drive (with the SATA/IDE converter in place) to the USB converter and inserted this assembly into my desktop and copied the other direction using TopfHDRW.
Of course the new drive was first inserted electrically (placed on a cardbord on top of my Toppy) into the Toppy and formatted by the Toppy so the file system was OK.

This worked beautifully well, even if it took a while for the extra copy. But now I have the recordings also on my desktop so I can view them there using the VLC player. Only non-coded channels of course...

(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
Torkijo
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2006 Posts: 86
Bob_Swede wrote:
Torkijo wrote:

This worked beautifully well, even if it took a while for the extra copy. But now I have the recordings also on my desktop so I can view them there using the VLC player. Only non-coded channels of course...

Hi Bob, is this the VLC Player your talking about?
Link deleted as per R2D2's recommendation

Last edited by Torkijo on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.1; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.0; Bookmark 2uk 2.3a; Power Manager v1.1;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 19/3/10
juwlz
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
No, it's here (or there's a portable version here).

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Torkijo
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
No, it's here (or there's a portable version here).

Julie

Thanks

TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.1; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.0; Bookmark 2uk 2.3a; Power Manager v1.1;
Bob_Swede
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Oct 2007 Posts: 1066 Location: Sweden
Torkijo wrote:
Bob_Swede wrote:
Torkijo wrote:

Hi Bob, is this the VLC Player your talking about?
(quoted link removed as per R2-D2 recommendation)

Well that is not where I got it. Here is the very source of it:
VLC media player
It is very good at playing the rec files on my Windows XP PC. Very Happy

Last edited by Bob_Swede on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
R2-D2
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
VLC is a free and open source program, but the link in Torkijo's post (and quoted several times) is for a (nasty?) pay-per-install and adware/spyware site. Might be worth removing the links so that future readers (and the Google bot) don't give them any more exposure than they've had already here.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
VLC is a free and open source program, but the link in Torkijo's post (and quoted several times) is for a (nasty?) pay-per-install and adware/spyware site. Might be worth removing the links so that future readers (and the Google bot) don't give them any more exposure than they've had already here.

Done

andyfras
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
I have joined the ranks of those upgrading to the 1TB Samsung HDD.

I am having a problem with copying Taps etc. from Programs on the original 250GB disk to the new one. It refuses to copy even a small .ini file, but I can copy large .rec files OK.

I have formatted the 1TB in the Toppy and I have the drives connected to my laptop via two USB caddies (one with the IDE to SATA adapter). I have not changed any jumpers on the HDDs.

If I can't find why this is happening, I will have to use Altair to copy my Taps and settings and use the caddies to copy the recorded programmes.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ