Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Upgrading Harddrive

Page 1 of 40
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
dalep
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Dont know if anyone has tried, ive just added a new 400gb hard drive to the toppy, it works absolutely fine and is quite as well.

No worrys about disk space for a while! Laughing
Darkmatter
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
That's interesting, I?ve not heard of anyone attempting a 400GB hard disk transplant before.

Out of interested, what drive did you use, and do you have any advice for anyone attempting the upgrade.

Just a word of caution to those contemplating a HDD transplant ? opening the Toppy will almost certainly invalidate your warrantee.
IanP
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
I thought it had been suggested there was a 250Gbyte (software?) limit on addressable HD size or was it to do with power consumption issues? It'll be interesting to see how you get on with your monster disk dalep. Keep us posted on how it goes as it fills up and good luck with it.

Changing the drive is a piece of cake, the only tricky bits I found were loosening the screws holding the drive to the support bracket (they were pretty tight but came free with a bit of muscle applied) and getting the screws back into the holes to put the support bracket back.
Darkmatter
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Yes, I remember reading that. Curiously, I?ve just popped over to the Oz forum ? there?s mention there of a 400GB upgrade too.

Searching back through our forum archives brought up the following post by digsatman ? http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6071&highlight=#6071.
Appearently he tried a few drives. His Toppy failed to identify his 300GB drive correctly.

There?s more info on upgrading our Toppy here:
http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=803
http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=923

and of course, there?s a wealth of information over on the Oz forums, although it?s uncertain how much of it will relate to the TF5800
jumbo
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
DaleP: What is the exact make/mode/price of your drive? Others would find this info very useful. On the Oz site it seems people have had different experience wih the same capacity drives but from different manufacturers.

To Admin: As there are other links on this topic would it make sense to move this thread?
dalep
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
DaleP: What is the exact make/mode/price of your drive? Others would find this info very useful. On the Oz site it seems people have had different experience wih the same capacity drives but from different manufacturers.

To Admin: As there are other links on this topic would it make sense to move this thread?

Hi All,

The drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8
Model ST3400832A
Firmware 3.02

Installing the drive will obviously invalidate the warranty but that didn?t bother me. My only advice, you will need a decent screwdriver, as previously mentioned the screws holding the drive bracket down are VERY tight.

My main advice, make sure you FULLY assemble the unit before you attempt to test it, OR be VERY VERY careful. The PSU sits right next to the hard drive mounting frame. There is a large heatsink at the rear on the right hand site. This is at full mains voltage ? YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Danger of DEATH!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

After the drive has been installed and the unit switched on, it automatically prompts you to format the drive.

Now the annoying bit?

If you wanted all or any of the recordings on the old drive but don?t want to wait the 3 thousand years it will take to send out via the USB cable, disassemble the toppy, remove the drive and put both the old and new drives onto an IDE cable and set them up as master and slave.

Then use TopfHDRW from here: http://www.rfidsecurity.com/toppy/topfhdrw.zip

Neither of the hard drives will be visible or recognized in windows directly, the toppy uses its own file format. Check that both drives are visible to TopfHDRW, if not check the jumper settings for master/ slave and make sure your motherboard bios can see them.

Transfer any files / folders and don?t forget and taps etc etc you had on the old drive. When it?s done, reassemble and test. If you have files to transfer, you obviously don?t have to reassemble before the initial formatting of the drive, I added that for safety?s safe because of the dangers from the power supply. Also if you do choose to power up without reassembling the toppy. DO NOT allow the drive bracket to come into contact with the heatsink. It WILL damage the PSU / Toppy / Drive, all or any of the three ? You have been warned!

Make sure that the jumper on the new drive is set to MASTER before reassembly, the unit will not recognise the drive on any other setting. It seems the unit wil also (mine anyway) any more than one drive at a time....

So far, the drive has performed faultlessly; it?s quiet, not really any more noisy then the drive that was originally in the unit.

Good luck everyone, any questions just ask!
charley
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Posts: 1563 Location: Belfast
dalep wrote:

The drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8
Model ST3400832A
Firmware 3.02

Good luck everyone, any questions just ask!

When the new drive is installed does the Toppy see the full 400GB available OK?

Toppy: TF5800PVR250GB &300GB;Firmware: ; Remote: Harmony 655; Tx:Divis; Autostart TAPs: MEISearch 1.35, MyStuff 6, AutoReboot V2.2, epg2mei, Power Manager v2.0, TAP Commander 1.2, TF5000 Display v1.50, MHEG_State; Other:
dalep
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
charley wrote:

When the new drive is installed does the Toppy see the full 400GB available OK?

Hi, Formatted the drive shows a shade under 390gb (dont forget drive capacities are quoted un-formatted)

I currently have about 240Gb used with no problems.

I read all of the problems people have, in 5 months I have had no problems. From memory I had one duff recording from TUTV.... Its on recording something most days and I usually programme recordings in blocks when i remember so i sometime programme as far ahead as the EPG will allow...

I must be lucky...
goosander
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
Hello all,

I've only just got around to registering, but have been following this forum for a while. I thought I'd share my experience with upgrading my hard disc.

I was also tempted to go for the 400GB Seagate but in the end decided that it was too pricey, so went for a 320GB Western Digital (WD3200JB) instead. I chose this drive because Western Digital claim that it's heat and power consumption are similar to a 5400 rpm drive.

The upgrade went smoothly and the new drive works just fine. The new drive is definately quieter with regard to seek noise (I enabled the AAM feature) than the original Seagate drive. Its also a bit quieter than the Seagate for rotational noise but it definately make more noise than the best Seagate and Samsung drives. Overall though, I'm quite happy with it as it isn't audible above normal volume TV.

The only downside to the upgrade was that the TopfHDRW program kept crashing so I had to resort to transfering all my programs using USB which was like sucking an Ocean through a straw. In the end I got fed up and deleted a lot of stuff.
dalep
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
If its of any interest, ive now upgraded to an hitachi 500gb drive and all is still well. Got a demo 600gb unit coming soon (apparently!!)

Ill let you know how I get on!

Dale
charley
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
dalep wrote:
If its of any interest, ive now upgraded to an hitachi 500gb drive and all is still well.

Dale
Hi dalep,
Can you tell me please what is the largest number of GB you have stored on your Toppy using one of your large drives?

Toppy: TF5800PVR250GB &300GB;Firmware: ; Remote: Harmony 655; Tx:Divis; Autostart TAPs: MEISearch 1.35, MyStuff 6, AutoReboot V2.2, epg2mei, Power Manager v2.0, TAP Commander 1.2, TF5000 Display v1.50, MHEG_State; Other:
NickC
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 105 Location: Oxfordshire
Quote:

If its of any interest, ive now upgraded to an hitachi 500gb drive and all is still well. Got a demo 600gb unit coming soon (apparently!!)

Is that the 7K500 ? I've just added an SATA version of that to one of my linux boxes ; nice drive.

Be interested to know how hot it gets in the toppy - my inital impression of the one I have is that its running about 25% hotter than my other drives but thankfully not as hot as the old IBM 70GB 307075 which had the same 5 platter / 10 head configuration. I have a feeling that you might need some passive cooling in there if its on all day.

Also, did you try the clever power management ? does it make any difference ?

So many questions.. I was really tempted to get one of these with PATA interface just to try it in toppy - I might still do so when the price comes down a bit.

Nick.
dalep
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is that the 7K500 ? I've just added an SATA version of that to one of my linux boxes ; nice drive.

Nick.

Yes its the 7K500

ALL, For info, i have filled my entire 500Gb drive and spend a few hourd fast farwarding through ALL recordings.

EVERYTHING is fine cant find anything wrong at all. Seems upgrading to a 500Gb drive is possible.

Thanks

Dale
charley
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
dalep wrote:
ALL, For info, i have filled my entire 500Gb drive and spend a few hourd fast farwarding through ALL recordings.

EVERYTHING is fine cant find anything wrong at all. Seems upgrading to a 500Gb drive is possible.
Hi Dale,
Thanks for the update.

kevinb
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 May 2005 Posts: 180
dalep wrote:
Quote:

Nick.

Yes its the 7K500

Thanks

Dale

If the average for an hour of TV is 2Gbytes (it seems to use between 1 and 2 Gbytes depending on the programming), that would be 42 hours of fast forwarding at 6x Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation