Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Request for help: timeshift buffer being dropped

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
dgc188
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 49 Location: S Yorkshire (Tx: Emley Moor)
Thanks guys, but the main reason I've gone onto 14.09+ is for the tracking of programme time changes - which it appears to do quite well for those broadcasters that seem to follow that rule.
As for the series linking - useful but not essential. Better, in my book, to be using less disk space than having to use degrees of padding to ensure start/end of programmes are recorded.
But, guess we can't have everything. Thanks for the sterling work done to date on the other firmwares.
Maybe I'll go back to 13.65, maybe I'll stay where I am - 'tis six of one, six of t'other - we've lived with a lost buffer for long enough.... think I'll sleep on it!!

Andy K
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
well you can have it all....

a) Install 5.13.65
b) use a tap to set timers which has at least 1 min pre padding and say 2 mins post padding.
c) Install extend tap which will extend recordings that over run.

This combo is better than you could ever imagine. (well 99% of the time anyway).

b) catches bits if the broadcast data is wrong
c) catches overruns and therefore only uses extra hdd space when required
PaulH
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 275 Location: SW London
Hi,

Even with the Kt patch, I'm finding that the timeshift buffer is still sometimes dropped unnecessarily when a recording starts. My testing vaguely suggests (not reliably reproducible, in other words) that it is more likely to happen if you have been timeshifting and generally jumping backwards and forwards through the buffer immediately before the time that the timer fires. Or maybe it's just if you have called up the native UI in any way since the last time the buffer was renewed? And it seems much less likely to happen if you're timeshifted at the moment that the recording starts.

I'm sorry this is so vague; I have tried very hard to isolate the circumstances in which the timeshift buffer is lost, and I thought that I had got close to nailing it. But I have not been able to reliably reproduce the results.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
OK, I think I have found a reproducible loss of timeshift buffer that occurs when a single recording starts, even with the [Kt] patch.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Set a timer on a channel that is on a different mux to the start-up channel, or whatever channel you will be watching when the timer starts. Ensure that there are no other timers before it. [Note: if the timer is on another channel that happens to be on the same mux as the live channel, the problem will not happen*]
2. Reboot the Toppy without TAPs [Note: this is just to eliminate any TAPs as suspects, and to clear any mysterious state that the Toppy might have got into. Step 1 can be performed after Step 2]
3. Before the timer starts, invoke timeshift. You may need to wait for sufficient timeshift buffer to build up. [Note: you will see the tell-tale momentary screen blanking, when timeshifting starts]
4. Before the timer starts, go back to live TV. Check the timeshift buffer with the Play button -- the buffer should still be OK. [Note: if you stay in timeshift, the problem will not happen -- I'm guessing that Kt prevents it?]
5. Wait for the timer to start. When it does, you will lose the timeshift buffer (check with the Play button). [Note: and the screen will again momentarily go blank when the timer starts]

The second screen blanking thing (slot/path switching?) seems to be the giveaway that you are going to lose the buffer.

My Toppy is a TF5800 with 13.65 firmware, with the Kt patch.
Full patch list at time of this post: Ab Bf Bq Ce Ck Cw Cy De Ec Ef Er Es F Gm H He Kt Mh Nf Ot P Pc Pe Pf R Ra Re Rh Rp Rs S Sd Sr St Sy T2 Td Tf Wf Xp Xw

* if the timer is on the same channel as the live channel, you do lose the timeshift buffer, but it seems to be through a different mechanism, because there is no interruption to picture. Perhaps the famous reluctance of the Toppy to record the same channel twice at the same time.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, maybe I'm the only one who's interested in the timeshift buffer any more Smile

Anyway, in the interest of science I think I can simplify the above bug report. Rebooting and TAPs don't make any difference. So the steps are just:

1. Go into timeshift
2. Go back to live
3. A timer starts which requires different tuner

The buffer will be lost.

Seems completely reproducible. The buffer is always lost when those conditions are met, and I haven't had any unexpected buffer loss when any of them aren't (apart from when the timer is for the same channel that you are watching, but we know about that problem).