Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Request for help: timeshift buffer being dropped

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Andy K
Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
I need to sort it out for myself though.

I have made it go away by changing between 2 versions of 5.12.25. (different patches).

But it's doing my head in trying to narrow it down to a patch ! In theory I should have worked out which one it is by now. I must have missed one.
Paladin
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2006 Posts: 99 Location: Lichfield
I use Sigittarius-E's TSBProtector TAP to remind me to hit the record button if in danger of losing the timeshift buffer. This gives a % chance of losing the buffer - I suspect this is just based on educated guesswork, but it might be worth asking him if he has any insight into the problem.
Andy K
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
I found out that Ra3 is not compatable with 5.12.25.
But Ra1 seams to work ok.

What I found odd, was that when I used HDFW 2.1c to remove Ra3 (and it was shown to be removed) I still got the crash.

EDIT : Problem found to be with HDFW not likeing 5.12.25.

Last edited by Andy K on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Paladin wrote:
I use Sigittarius-E's TSBProtector TAP to remind me to hit the record button if in danger of losing the timeshift buffer.
AFAIK that just copes with the obvious cases where the buffer is necessarily lost -- it the unnecessary cases I'm trying to track down (and I imagine the TAP will fail in those cases...)

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
It would be good if the Timeshift buffer could be kept even when playing back a recording.

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
It would be good if the Timeshift buffer could be kept even when playing back a recording.
There are many reasons why that doesn't make sense (with the Toppy's definition of timeshifting). However, you can make a proper recording at the same time as playing back...

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Hey, that's what I do anyway - just putting it out there...

...Today my son was watching Charlie and Lola (live) then he wanted to see Shaun the Sheep (recorded) then he changed his mind so I stopped Shaun the Sheep. It would have been handy to be able to rewind the buffer to get back the 60 seconds of C&L that StS was on for.

Glen.

gomezz
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3997 Location: Buckingham
People are obviously less tough when it comes to child-rearing these days than the Spartans were. Very Happy

glenmcfar
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Hey, I'm tough. I only allowed him 18 hours of TV today, and i gave him one less Mars Bar for breakfast... Embarassed

Glen.

simonc
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
You big softie. I bet it was still deep fried Twisted Evil
dgc188
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 49 Location: S Yorkshire (Tx: Emley Moor)
Just for a point of clarification....
Is this Kt patch effective on the 14.09+ firmware?
Good work if it is as this loss of the buffer is a "pain".

chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Yes it is.

CW

dgc188
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 49 Location: S Yorkshire (Tx: Emley Moor)
Having applied the Kt patch to 14.09+ last night and having recently asked the question regarding its suitability for this firmware, it appears not to work, i.e. when a single recording starts the buffer is lost even though it may be being watched in catch-up at the time.
Not the outcome I would have hoped for.
However, having re-read the first comment in this list, it appears it 'might' not be suitable - but I had hoped things may have moved on since that initial posting.
The 14.09+ firmware was downloaded off the main Topfield uk web site last night - maybe this has had an effect on the suitability but probably not.
Is there some reason why this patch may not work on 14.09+ and is it likely an updated version is to be released to cope with 14.09+?

glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 has stated that he won't go to great lengths to fix any 5.14.xx bugs as anyone running it should really be downgrading to 5.13.65NitFix instead.

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'm afraid that any complicated bugs that are uncovered in the current 5.14.X/5.15.X firmwares are likely to be addressed only by specific patches for 5.15.09+ (for the TF5810), since TF5800 owners can use this site's recommended firmware and the SeriesLink TAP to get a much better result (although I'd say that a keyword searching TAP like MyStuff still has the edge on this Series Link nonsense).