Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  August firmware update - target date 17th

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Nigel,

do you have an update as to whether we will see the firmware tomorrow or not? Or is it too early to say?

Regards

Chunkywizard

nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I don't have any definite information on the date, but I suspect that we're probably looking at closer to the end of the week than the beginning, and the FAQs have been updated to reflect that.

The engineering team were only back at work this morning, with a list of comments from our testing to work through. There aren't any significant issues with the test version of the firmware, but there are some tweaks that can be made to improve things further, without having to wait until the next update.

When I do hear more, I shall make appropriate announcements (with the caveat that I have to take time out tomorrow to have the radiator replaced on one of my cars).

Nigel.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Nigel,

thanks for the update. Just one point, I understand you updated the FAQs but AFAIK there is no way to flag changes to the FAQs, so I missed it Embarassed. Is there anyway to do this or do I just need to check the FAQs every day? It would be good to make the appropriate announcments/updates in the forum itself or via the update email service IMHO. This isn't a moan, just trying to make sure everyone knows what is happening as we get closer to the update.

Cheers

Chunkywizard

nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I will send out an announcement when there's something real to announce, but the closest we've come is an "around the 9th" so far so I didn't feel the need to pester everyone with an email. The news item on the front page has also been updated.

An email will be sent out when the update is actually released and available for download.

Nigel.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
Is any work being done to stop picking up the incorrect timestamp from poor reception?

I have ok reception and have had this fault occur a few times when my timers get set to a year over 30 years in the future.

Couldn't a check be performed to see if the updated time is sensible?
I see on the bugs section that there is no update on this bug.
I currently have the topfield set to manual time but this is not an ideal workaround as the time drifts each day.
Darkmatter
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Indications are it may well be better. Unfortunately, it?s one of those things that just need lots of real world testing with loads of different users, with all manner of differing receptions. Having said that, I did try my damnedest to break the algorithm, and failed dismally.
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
There are no updates on ANY of the bugs in the database at the moment, because I'm not going to update them with information until the firmware is officially released - it would be foolish to update based on the test firmware, in case something changes. There'd be tons of people complaining that we'd added wrong information.

But, as I have mentioned elsewhere, the engineers had access to the whole bug list, and they have given a response of some sort to every item on the list.

I will add all those responses when the firmware is released. As with previous updates, we won't mark issues as resolved in our list until we're satisfied, from user reports, that they have been resolved.

On the specific issue of timers, it was - as I've said quite a few times - one of the issues that we flagged in our top three, on repeated occassions. And the indications from the test firmware are that it has been addressed. But since I've never suffered from the problem, and Darkmatter's had to do really despicable things with his aerial to try and reproduce them, we can't put hand on heart and say "this will never happen again." It does, though, look fairly hopeful.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The latest information on this is that we have a release date of 17th August. That's a date that Turbosat are happy to give, which means from past experience that we can very likely expect things not to go past then - previous dates have tended to be our best estimates, rather than release dates. Of course, things could still change, but if I wasn't confident, I wouldn't be posting a date here.

This is later than some people would have liked to see, admittedly, but I think it will be worth the wait; in particular, the delay should ensure that a couple of things that were picked up testing the firmware will be addressed.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Hi Nigel,

can you change the subject to better reflect the thread? I thought I could (as I started the thread, but I don;t know how Sad

Regards

CW

simonc
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
Does that include the new one with the progress bar popping up by any chance? I got an earful off the wife last night about it being 'really annoying' Rolling Eyes
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
No, it doesn't. I've not given feedback on that yet, since I don't want to run the risk of it being delayed any further. The bugs that they are working on are the ones listed in the database on this site.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
Fair enough. It's a minor annoyance compared to 0mb recordings and no sound.
Traxmaster
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:19 am Reply with quote
How many of you are testing out trial firmwares?
It sounds like solving one issue may cause others.
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quote
Forum moderators have access to test firmware, and a couple of TAP developers where we think changes in the API functions might affect the way that their TAP works.

In the case of QuickJump, there is a small change that affects it, but that seems to be the only issue caused by the current software, which has been running very happily for a couple of weeks here. So no, I don't think the changes have created any particular problems.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
I don't use quickjump as Improbox has a quick skip function included.
Does quickjump offer any benefits over improbox?