Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  [He] HeaderEvent

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
[He] HeaderEvent (V3) fixes the event monitoring for the active recordings so that both are serviced with data and it remains enabled while either is still recording. This should be a fix for the issues outlined here. I wonder if this fixes the header issue completely?

The more experimental V2 and V3 of [Pf] can interfere with the [He] mechanism so should not be used, but [Pf] V1 is OK.

Last edited by R2-D2 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 441
I'm not clear from the info in linked thread whether this patch is applicable to "normal" operation, or only if using CRID data and accurate recording?

Some of my recordings get the wrong title/description in the archive, but I had assumed that was because I padded the start by 1 minute. Would this patch help me?

chunkywizard
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi R2,

it would be good if you could explain things in layman's terms so we know whether to use this or not. ie Load this only if you use CRID data or everyone should load this because it fixes a bug.

You continue to thrash out the patches which is fantastic but keeping up with them is a nightmare (and this is from someone who spends a whole lot more time on here than most people)

Cheers

CW

R2-D2
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Laser wrote:
Some of my recordings get the wrong title/description in the archive, but I had assumed that was because I padded the start by 1 minute.
Were they made during dual recording?
Quote:
Would this patch help me?
I think so, yes. Ironically, some/all versions of the [Pf] patch might need removing, too... I'm still working on that aspect for AccurateBM, but it seems whichever mechanism I'm trying to use, the system still needs patching to make it work properly. Sad

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
Load this only if you use CRID data or everyone should load this because it fixes a bug.
The mention of CRID data was just what lead to looking at this area, which is concerned with collecting event data for writing in the .rec header.

I believe that the patch fixes the long-standing bug (in all but the very earliest firmwares, I think) where the wrong (earlier) event is recorded, due to dual recording. There could still be other bugs for other situations causing the wrong details to be written in the header, but this is definitely a significant bug (and I'd be interested in people's experiences that don't fit with the description in the other thread).

The complication with the [Pf] patch is because that's trying to fix the other event handling so that it works during playback, etc. I could look into which particular versions of [Pf] will cause an issue, but I'm looking at potentially dumping that whole aspect and doing AccurateBM using this mechanism instead, since it's (ideally) dedicated to each recording stream (but thoroughly broken without the patch...).

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 441
R2-D2 wrote:
Laser wrote:
Some of my recordings get the wrong title/description in the archive,
Were they made during dual recording?

To be honest, I haven't looked to associate the two. If I had to guess I would say no, not in all cases.

Quote:
Ironically, some/all versions of the [Pf] patch might need removing, too... I'm still working on that aspect for AccurateBM,

I don't use [Pf], but ironically I was going to look at using AccurateBM and your auto-extending-the-record-time TAP/patch this weekend. (Which I'm also rather confused about!) Maybe I'll give that a miss for now.

R2-D2
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Laser wrote:
If I had to guess I would say no, not in all cases.
Guesses are no good, I'm afraid. Smile There's some other trickery in there (to do with bad assumptions about bitrates) which I'd always thought was the cause before, but this bug is show-stopper and puts those issues in the shade.
Quote:
I was going to look at using AccurateBM
The good news is that, if I can find a way of doing it, an AccurateBM patch might be possible, and for a much wider range of Toppys. Needless to say, it'd have this [He] patch as a pre-requisite. And this may mean that the Extend part could finally make its way into a non-experimental TAP...

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Site helper Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: London
R2-D2 wrote:
but I'm looking at potentially dumping that whole aspect and doing AccurateBM using this mechanism instead, since it's (ideally) dedicated to each recording stream (but thoroughly broken without the patch...).

So if you go ahead and do that, are you saying that an AccurateBM patch would include [Pf] and [He], so to speak?

glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
I think he means [He] would be required but [Pf] would be incorporated into an AccBM patch, and the Extend version would be a TAP.

Sebby
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Ah, okay, thanks. Smile

glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Sometimes R2's posts make more sense if you stand on your head to read them - which I did! Just wait till I've had TWO glasses of wine... Embarassed

Glen.

Sebby
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

R2-D2
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I never... ever... knowingly... make any attempt at making any sense, so it's all rather hit and miss. Neutral

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
glenmcfar wrote:
Sometimes R2's posts make more sense if you stand on your head to read them - which I did! Just wait till I've had TWO glasses of wine... Embarassed

Glen.
we should form a society.
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159099#159099

/\/\
glenmcfar
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy

Good to have you back Mike. Let the 'debates' commence...

Glen.