Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Fast scanning

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Just worked out the (crap) mechanism by which the Auto Scan works (for terrestrial [DVB-T], at least). It was quite simple to modify it to limit it to the active "transponders" (multiplexes/UHF channels) in my current setup (a grand total of 6, rather than the normal selection of 114 Shocked). Needless to say, this meant the scan was a bit quicker.

There are probably two main improvements: a) reduce the scan by at least half for any user, and b) reduce the scan to optimal for a rescan using the current settings. The first might be possible via a patch, but the second would clearly need a TAP (as well as the patch, possibly).

Does that sound reasonable? And is there much interest in this sort of thing?

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Always interested in improvements in whatever form they may come...

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
[Hs] HalfScan reduces the scanned channels to 57, by dumping the search for HP streams. I've noticed that it (and your resulting TP list) has some odd effects in the Manual Scan -- doubtless based on some assumptions in that code.

TAP will be along later...

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3515
excellent. thanks

Why were you looking in that area ?
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
Andy K wrote:
Why were you looking in that area ?
It was next on the ToDo list.

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Jun 2007 Posts: 221 Location: UK
Excellent; I've been wanting something like this for a while. Thanks. Smile

TF5800 250GB 5.13.65+patches AutoStart: Power Restore 0.7.6, EIT Sub 0.6 SnG, SecCache (UK) 0.4, Extend 1.7, Info Viewer 1.9 DE, QuickJump 1.72, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73.1, EPGnavigator 6.1b (simonc/biggsd), Filer 2.21, TF5000Display 1.53a Other TAPs: Channel Manager 5.1, CutAds 1.3, FastScanGUI 0.6a, HDDInfo 2.3a, HDFW 2.4, JoinAds 1.3, Signal Monitor 0.53, SimpleCharEditor 3.09, Sudoku 1.5, TAP Commander 1.34, Testpatterns 1.2
glenmcfar
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
OK, I've just reset and rescanned after applying this patch. It DOES speed up the scanning process (finding all my channels before 50% on the progress bar) but I then had to manually abort the scan halfway through or else it counts right up to 100%.

Is that correct?

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
Is that correct?
When's the last time you did a scan? Smile

FastScan is the optimising TAP. Now, pay attention:
  • Optionally install [Hs] if you want to drop the useless half of the scanning (you can just add it temporarily using the "Firmware in RAM" option in HDFW).
  • Run FastScan. It will optimise the search list to just the valid TPs/muxes you currently have. This ought to be 6 if you have [Hs], or 12 if not.
  • Now backup your timers or make sure you're happy to lose them all.
  • Do a Factory Reset. Your TP list is now optimised -- from now on the Auto Scan will only scan the 6/12 muxes whenever you do it.
  • Perform the prompted Auto Scan. Marvel at how quickly it works.
  • Restore your settings and timers.
You can restore the slow scanning by rebooting the Toppy and doing a Factory Reset.

There's the issue noted above with an [Hs]-ed list and the choice of channels in the Manual Scan, which I might try to fix.

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 1348 Location: Bristol, U.K.
Sounds excellent Smile . I was wondering whether it would make any sense to have an .ini file with a list of (normally 6) UHF channels which you wanted the Toppy to limit its scan to [that sentence could have been more elegantly constructed, I feel Shocked ].

That would allow flexibility to change/add/remove UHF channels when analogue switch-off - and possible DTT channel shuffling - comes to to a tx near you ...

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Jun 2007 Posts: 221 Location: UK
This would be superb integrated into Channel Manager.

TF5800 250GB 5.13.65+patches AutoStart: Power Restore 0.7.6, EIT Sub 0.6 SnG, SecCache (UK) 0.4, Extend 1.7, Info Viewer 1.9 DE, QuickJump 1.72, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73.1, EPGnavigator 6.1b (simonc/biggsd), Filer 2.21, TF5000Display 1.53a Other TAPs: Channel Manager 5.1, CutAds 1.3, FastScanGUI 0.6a, HDDInfo 2.3a, HDFW 2.4, JoinAds 1.3, Signal Monitor 0.53, SimpleCharEditor 3.09, Sudoku 1.5, TAP Commander 1.34, Testpatterns 1.2
Wallace
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Mar 2008 Posts: 911
Thanks R2. Works on the 5810 too!

?
glenmcfar
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
My God - FastScan is FAST!

Glen.

juwlz
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Impressive Cool
Presumably, if I ask Channel Manager to rescan, it'll use the old method?

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
Presumably, if I ask Channel Manager to rescan, it'll use the old method?
No, your Auto Scan is now fast whenever it's done. Until you do a Factory Reset. And I believe you can just keep doing Auto Scans whenever you like since the existing services won't be duplicated.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Then I'm confused as to when a Factory Reset will reset it back to the old type scan, and when it won't, given step 3 of this posting is a Factory Reset. Would a Factory Reset at any point some time after any reboot reset it? I reboot more often than I factory reset. Wink
To put it another way, do I have to reboot without TAPs and Factory Reset immediately afterwards (how would it know the difference?), and should Fastscan go in Autostart? It doesn't seem like it should.
R2-D2 wrote:
  • Run FastScan. It will optimise the search list to just the valid TPs/muxes you currently have. This ought to be 6 if you have [Hs], or 12 if not.
  • Now backup your timers or make sure you're happy to lose them all.
  • Do a Factory Reset. Your TP list is now optimised -- from now on the Auto Scan will only scan the 6/12 muxes whenever you do it.
  • Perform the prompted Auto Scan. Marvel at how quickly it works.
  • Restore your settings and timers.
You can restore the slow scanning by rebooting the Toppy and doing a Factory Reset.
BTW, I've just done a scan the hard way on the old Silver Toppy (which has been playing up a bit recently, hanging mostly), and I revise my opinion of Fastscan to Seriously Bloody Impressive! Cool

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012