Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  [Pe] PlugEIT -- fixes the USB leak

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Finally... [Pe] PlugEIT plugs the USB memory leak. It does this by preventing the low-level internal EIT message being sent if the (large!) high-level event buffer is more than 75% full. This allows a good deal of slop in the event handling and should prevent the buffer ever getting too full, and therefore prevent the memory leak.

However... I usually run with MHEG off, and it occurs to me that this could also be the source of MHEG memory leaks, since it may generate both a lot of events and a lot of stress on the system. Shocked If that's true then it might be possible to plug this leak, too.

Note: I'm not sure how much help this will be to 5.13.65 and above, since they seem to contain an attempt to fix this area, so it will depend on how half-hearted that attempt really is.

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 May 2008 Posts: 296
Installed recently Very Happy

aramil
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
I have had this running since posting with no issues

R2-D2
Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
[Pe] V3 is a much better plug for the leak. Some technical details in posts around here. Probably the thing of most interest to normal users is that this should also stop bookmarks being missed from recordings when the Toppy is stressed, but there are plenty of other oddities it will help with.

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Dec 2006 Posts: 164 Location: Lombardy, Italy
Wow. Am I right in thinking this patch is the one from today's batch that has magically fixed the remote keypress unresponsiveness problem? Now I can switch channels while Mystuff is still showing the Loading... message. Also, though, and I think this happens in stressed conditions, keypresses sometimes get delayed, so you end up pressing the same key several times before the stream of keypresses takes effect. Weird.

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
It can help with button press responsiveness if the message buffer is getting full since it'll usually make it quicker to move on to processing the key messages. However, in those cases it is also aggressive in purging as many (unnecessary) EIT messages as it can to try to get the buffer down to a more reasonable size. In normal operation this shouldn't be too bad, although you may see a marked delay if you're, say, also stressing the Toppy with a USB download (even worse when using [Ux]). But remember that on those occasions the Toppy would normally be dribbling memory all over the place and on its way to a nasty end.

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
Hi,
I have patched both toppies with this & when a timed recording starts the Toppy up the Orange front pannel led comes on too & stays on after the toppy has shut down.

I agree about the keypress behaviour too, in practical use the loss of key presses is reduced.

Thanks,
/\/\

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
mike.hinson wrote:
when a timed recording starts the Toppy up the Orange front pannel led comes on too & stays on after the toppy has shut down.
That might be another indication of messages that were previously lost. Startup is a very busy time, and kicking in with a recording just makes that a lot worse (and maybe even worse if you've got timeshift on).

More intensive stressing and monitoring has shown that the bulge in the carpet can be pushed back down to the low-level buffer, which [surprise, surprise] is not often checked for successful delivery either. But, critically, there is a check on the type of messages that swamp the buffer. It's not good enough (of course), so [Pe] V4 makes that one better, too. I think this V4 now makes things extremely robust, so I'm looking forward to no more missed bookmarks/unnecessary Extend activity.

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Never tried v3 but v4 definitely seems to be more sluggish than my system with v1. Button presses aren't missed as such but there is an obvious delay before (for example...) the cursor moves in the archive screen.

Glen.

Andy K
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
does this mean I no longer need to use the USB REset TAP ?
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
Button presses aren't missed as such but there is an obvious delay before (for example...) the cursor moves in the archive screen.
I think you'll find there's zero difference unless the buffer is getting full (and the system was busy). However, you probably aren't aware of the times when the system is actually very busy, so you are unlikely to be comparing like with like.

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Andy K wrote:
does this mean I no longer need to use the USB REset TAP ?
I still use it when my connection gets foobar-ed by the power switching of a device near the Toppy.

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
R2-D2 wrote:
glenmcfar wrote:
Button presses aren't missed as such but there is an obvious delay before (for example...) the cursor moves in the archive screen.
I think you'll find there's zero difference unless the buffer is getting full (and the system was busy). However, you probably aren't aware of the times when the system is actually very busy, so you are unlikely to be comparing like with like.

Hmmm, yeah, maybe. It can be very slow when the machine starts up. As in >press button >wait a second or two >cursor moves. Might be removing this one, regardless of other benefits.

[edit: has no-one else got an opinion on this? am i the only person who's added it?]

chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Works fine for me.

CW

glenmcfar
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Try rebooting then navigating about the archive for a bit.

Glen.