Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  NEW UPDATE SOON !!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
glesgaguy
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
Sorry if this info is elswhere on the forum but I just received this message from Turbosat.

Yes we have topfield on it, wishlist >bugs >tap's have been noted from
that site, I am getting e-mails from there enginers all day long,It is
hard for them to go through the list in english but they are getting
there as fast as they can, so we should see some updates soon.....

Rgds

James Evans
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I will have more on this information shortly; I discussed it with James earlier this afternoon, and I can give a few more details later.

Incidentally, I don't know about other people, but I think it's a lot more polite to paraphrase an email than to post it verbatim.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
OK... an update on the update.

First - please don't get over-excited. We do not have a date, or anything like that at present. And James at Turbosat is working hard on this and other things, so please don't all email him asking for more details. He will be back in touch with me when there is more information.

Sooner rather than later is what we hope for, but it may be the case that a swift update will only address certain of the issues, with others having to wait for a subsequent one.

Now... over the air or not? This has apparently been no problem with the satellite models. It's not something that's been done yet on the terrestrial ones, so there's no firm answer either way.

Here's a quick summary of the main points - but remember, this is what Topfield are aware of. It's NOT a list of what will definitely be in a specific update.

Bookmarks: Topfield says this function will be added shortly.

Keymap is different for the TF5800 and TAPS: Topfield says they will check and solve.

Using the spare tuner to collect EPG data in the background: cannot be done in the short term, but they may be able to add it later on.

Failure to mark all pay channels with a $: this is apparently due to channels not always being flagged as encrypted. Once a channel has been seen as encrypted by the box, the $ should remain there.

BBC MHEG date bug: will check, and modify the software.

Detection of British Summer Time: will consider adding a function to do this.

Access to Favourites list: will be discussed.

Duplicate functionality of List and OK buttons: will be discussed.

There are some other specific issues in the list that Topfield are working on, including some reported crashes or other probelms, where they need more information. I will try to work out the users affected from their postings, and find out more from them, where I can't supply the feedback myself.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 63 Location: Blackhill Transmitter
Fantastic news.

I'm a bit surprised there was no explicit mention of the blank recording bug though.  There now seems to be enough information about that one that they could reproduce / fix.  (But maybe they want to get their hands on a dud file and it falls into the 'will contact the user concerned' category).
Brava_210
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 328 Location: Bristol
good news-will there ne a fix for the bbc text not working if its recording say itv....

thanks gary

groovyf
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 433 Location: Halifax, Emley Moor transmitter
Even just the addition of Bookmarks will make my day Smile

nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
[quote author=Brava_210 link=board=12;num=1112891502;start=0#4 date=04/07/05 at 20:01:49]good news-will there ne a fix for the bbc text not working if its recording say itv....
[/quote]

That's one of the issues on which they've asked for more details, which I will supply when I have time to jot everything down for them.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote author=Cammy link=board=12;num=1112891502;start=0#3 date=04/07/05 at 19:56:28]I'm a bit surprised there was no explicit mention of the blank recording bug though.  There now seems to be enough information about that one that they could reproduce / fix. [/quote]

I'll go back to my email and check on that, but do remember that this is just a preliminary list, and it's based on the information that was available in the first few days. Most of the postings about blank recordings seem to have come in the last few days; I shall certainly draw it to their attention - but can those affected make sure there is plenty of detail in the bugs area, please.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:29 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Nigel: bravo on keeping with this!

As for the MHEG coming from first tuner bug I'm sure this will be easy to reproduce...

Hopefully!
matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
Stuart_Burns
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 94
Would I be right in thinking that the (re)introduction of bookmarks will mean that it will be possible to skip backwards and forwards 30 seconds at a time?  The slow FF/REW speeds are a bit frustrating at times.

Having said that, I'm delighted that Topfield are listening and responding to people's comments.  i think the vast majority of people are delighted with the machine and the little foibles are pretty minor, really.
nashi
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 37
Nigel,
Thanks for letting us know about this. I imagine you are very busy at present, on this forum, dealing with TurboSat and trying to review the Toppy. I don't want to add to your work but I wonder if it might be possible to pull together a structured list of the main issues experienced with the Toppy.
What I had in mind is something that categorised things by:
1. Bugs
Things that a majority of users experience and can be re-created. For example this blank recording bug.
2. Enhancements
New features that a majority of users would like to see added. For example bookmarks, 30 sec skip, EPG browse without channel change, chase playback/timeshift not interupted by timer events.
We should then further categorise both bugs and enhancements as being addressed by:
A. TAPs (e.g. I believe alternative EPG TAPs do not change channels)
B. Making 5800 firmware the same as other 5XXX series firmware (which would give us bookmarks and 30 sec skip)
C. Specific 5800 firmware update (this may be required to make TAPs work properly with the 5800)

Hopefully such a matrix would help users here to work out what is wrong and how it might get fixed and it might also help TurboSat/Topfield to prioritise the update for us.
Regards,
Another Nigel
Traxmaster
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
I have yet to make a blank recording although all my recordings have come from the EPG.

Has this occurred when you have made manual timer settings?

matt
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
[quote author=traxmaster link=board=12;num=1112891502;start=0#11 date=04/08/05 at 14:55:52]I have yet to make a blank recording although all my recordings have come from the EPG.[/quote]
Ditto

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
nashi
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 37
My blank recording was set from the EPG.
matt
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
What channel was it on?