Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  [Te] TAPCurrEv

Page 1 of 1
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
It occurred to me after recent discussions with flechumer that TAP_GetCurrentEvent() was horribly inefficient and could do with the same sort of boost as [Ce], for TAPs that make heavy use of it (I don't think I use any, otherwise it'd probably have cropped up in the profiling). Anyway, the code replacement was practically identical so here's [Te] TAPCurrEv which implements this (and is limited to the same TF58x0 firmwares as [Ce]).

I suspect a TAP would need to be making pretty heavy use of this routine for this patch to make a noticeable difference, but it does make it 33 times quicker on average (and between 5 and 380 times quicker for specific channels -- with the variation due to the massive variation in speed in the unpatched version on those channels).

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2005 Posts: 814
Hi R2

I have tried this patch on 5.14.09 & it patches fine, but now iam getting the description extender tap saying that it does not support this firmware now with this patch installed.

Andy

Firmware: 5.14.09 Patched
AutoStart Taps: MyStuff v5.52b, eit2mei beta 7.8m7, , Power Manager v1.2, Tap Commander v1.32, TF5000 Display v1.53a, Discription Extender v2.3, SDS 1.3b, QuickJump 1.72
Other Taps: Sudoka, mei2archive, mei2eit, snake, meisearch
glenmcfar
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Applied okay on my setup (13.65). No problems so far...

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
andyrogers wrote:
iam getting the description extender tap saying that it does not support this firmware now with this patch installed.
When I get a chance I'll see if I can adjust things to work -- I already had to do this to cope with [De].

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
andyrogers wrote:
Hi R2

I have tried this patch on 5.14.09 & it patches fine, but now iam getting the description extender tap saying that it does not support this firmware now with this patch installed.

Andy

It's the same on 15.09+ (grovel grovel)

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
aramil wrote:
It's the same on 15.09+
There's not much I can do about DescriptionExtender's firmware poking in this area, unfortunately, but adjusting [De] to work on more firmwares (like 5.14/15.X) is on my list (just not very high up Smile). The simplest solution at the moment would be to not use [Te], especially since it probably isn't much of a help unless you're running a TAP that makes a lot of use of TAP_GetCurrentEvent().

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
R2-D2 wrote:
The simplest solution at the moment would be to not use [Te], especially since it probably isn't much of a help unless you're running a TAP that makes a lot of use of TAP_GetCurrentEvent().

you should of guessed the next question Laughing

am i running a TAP that makes a lot of use of TAP_GetCurrentEvent()?

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
aramil wrote:
am i running a TAP that makes a lot of use of TAP_GetCurrentEvent()?
I don't know, but probably not. Confused

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
I'd say no. eit2mei is the only one that might be calling it, and if it was, it'd only be doing it when you weren't looking.

DescriptionExtender uses TAP_GetCurrentEvent to discover where the various bits of the EPG data are stored. As I've mentioned in another thread, I'm not going to be changing anything, simply because I can't remember how to after 2 years away from it Sad
DX
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
simonc wrote:
eit2mei is the only one that might be calling it

It doesn't directly, only TAP_GetEvent and TAP_EPG_GetExtInfo are used.

I'm not sure about the interaction with Description Extender however.
shinyford
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 726 Location: London
Hello Mr D2

There appears to be an interaction between iGuide and Te, identified by bootsbradford.

I believe it's the same interaction as the one in DescriptionExtender - iGuide use exTap to harvest epg data, which relies on the standard TAP_GetCurrentEvent to find the address of the event table, and the event table size and max events number.

So, do you off hand know of a way for a TAP to dynamically find those variables that doesn't use TAP_GetCurrentEvent? I'd prefer to get iGuide to work with [Te], than to suggest it be disabled if you want to use iGuide.

Cheers

Nic

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
bdb wasn't to know that that function might need patching, or that it's completely changed in some later firmwares. This is the (widely applicable) mechanism I've used for a very long time with no apparent issues.

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 726 Location: London
Absolutely - no criticism of bdb intended!

And thanks for the code snippet - that's exactly what I need.

Cheers

Nic

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Updated to [Te] V3 to solve a rare issue which occurs when there is no EIT data at all when a TAP asks for the current event.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
This is now in the 5810 Recommended Firmware,

HTH

CW