Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Programmes  ~  EPG Loading

Page 1 of 1
phil
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 56
could someone explain how the EPG loads?

when I switch channels on guide to see whats on...I seem to get the current and next programs, maybe.....then I get tomorrows..then it starts filling up the next few hours and the time between.

why doesn't it start loading in "time to be shown" sequence?
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9580
As far as I can gather, it's a bit like Ceefax, in that information is broadcast in a 'carousel' and the information is sent in chunks, with some sent more often than others.

The exact order will depend on where the carousel happens to be when you start watching, and then you can wait a long time for the next bit to come round - just like on analogue Ceefax, you might start at page 4 of a 6 page item, and you have to hang about before page 1 finally appears.

If you key in a page number on Ceefax, you usually see the numbers cycling at the top of the screen, and you'll notice that some things - like news - are updated more often.

The EPG data is like that. Now and Next is probably sent out very frequently, because that's what most people want to look at (and all that some boxes support).

The rest just depends where you are. And it wouldn't surprise me if 'peak hours' information is sent more frequently than information for the middle of the night.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 56
thanks.

It makes it confusing....cos you need to check the times to make sure there are no gaps....I was playing at 5.00am this morning...I hadn't noticed in the evenings..so as you say...peak viewing may well be sent more frequently.
That would explain why I got 4pm(ish) tv straight away and had to wait to see what was on at 6am.

Obviously shouldn't be watching tv at 5.00am  :-[