Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  [Ux] USBSuperTurbo -- quite experimental

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Wildoat wrote:
Is this patch in addition to or instead of [U] & [Uu]?
As in the reply to the second post in this thread, the more the CPU usage is reduced the better, so [U], [Uu] and any other performance enhancement will doubtless help (including stopping certain TAPs).

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Has anyone successfully applied Uy yet? I tried and got 'Not intended for this firmware' (i think this was after applying Ux). Then I tried again and got 'Failure to load module'. And again after re-downloading. And again after a reboot.

Glen.

eye of ra
Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Dec 2005 Posts: 1018
glenmcfar wrote:
(i think this was after applying Ux).

The way I read it is its one or the other, not both, could be wrong though.

AccurateBM 0.4 | EITDupFix.
TapLauncher: MeiSearch 1.37 | Media Manager 1.5 | Tap Commander 1.32 | HDFW 2.3a.
Updated:15-05-08
glenmcfar
Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Oh, aye! Woops. Anyway, I still can't apply it to a vanilla firmware.

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
Anyway, I still can't apply it to a vanilla firmware.
That's odd... I just pulled them back and they are the same (apart from the patch ID). I'll fix them so they are different... (they both appear to be the [Uy] flavour).

Edit: now fixed.

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
That explains a lot.

So probably not worth mentioning my findings, other than to say with Ux V2 and no Taps loaded I still got the stutter when recording and chasing or recording and timeshifting.

And with Uy no stutter with all taps loaded.

Will have another go tonight with latest versions.

TapLauncher: MeiSearch 1.37 | Media Manager 1.5 | Tap Commander 1.32 | HDFW 2.3a.
R2-D2
Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
eye of ra wrote:
with Ux V2 and no Taps loaded I still got the stutter when recording and chasing or recording and timeshifting.
Are you running all the other speed ups? ([Ce], [Gm] and [Es].) Reducing the CPU load does seem to help a lot.

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Feb 2008 Posts: 75 Location: Newcastle, Australia
I tested out Ux & Uy today on the Oz TF5000PVRt and found I had stuttering while playing back a file.

I tested with the lastest firmware we have, Mar-08, and the following combinations of patches:
[UUx], [UUy], [BfBqUUx], and [BfBqUUy] (no taps loaded)

I started a non-turbo transfer and then started playing back a file. Moving through the filelist was very sluggish (which I expected). But watching the file with Ux was next to impossible (ie. more time stuttering than playing).
With Uy loaded the stuttering was reduced, but still very intrusive.

Bf(v3) and Bq had no noticeable impact.

Regards,
Tango.

PS. I'm not concerned with these as I'm happy to do my transfers as turbo. Just thought youmight like the feedback.
eye of ra
Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
I have Ce and Gm but missed Es, will have to investigate and try that one as well tonight.

R2-D2
Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
tango wrote:
I think that just confirms that the various speed ups are needed as well, to reduce the CPU load.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Feb 2008 Posts: 75 Location: Newcastle, Australia
R2-D2 wrote:
tango wrote:
I think that just confirms that the various speed ups are needed as well, to reduce the CPU load.
I think I read that most of the speed up/EIT patches (Ce, Es, Ec, etc) are for 5800/5810 machines. Is that true? Or are they worth trying on my 5000?

Edit: I can answer my own question. I just tried applying them with FWPatcher and Es, Ec, Er, Pf & Ce all came up as "not intended for this firmware". (I haven't heard of the EIT cache before, so I it makes sense to me that they wouldn't apply.)
R2-D2
Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
tango wrote:
I haven't heard of the EIT cache before
I expect that applies to most TF5800 owners, too. Smile I don't know why we got these "enhancements" in our firmwares (which coincided with the addition of "background" EIT scanning). The EPG stuff does vary a lot between models -- and some recent TF5000 firmwares seem to have a radically different setup, possibly with new indexes on the data. As the profiler is very (very!) specific to my firmware and quite hard to move to other firmwares, it's hard to know where the bottlenecks would be in those systems, but I don't imagine they will have optimal solutions.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Had a quick fiddle with removing ack packets and unfortunately it's only served to show that they would appear to be necessary for the correct working of the USB link, unless I'm missing something subtle (could be!). I was getting short reads via a modified puppy, which probably means that it couldn't keep up with the constant stream of data, even with relatively small files.

As I understand it, the hardware sorts out all the stuff about getting (roughly) 64Kb of data communicated in a packet, and then I think it's up to the software to retry a failed packet (Toppy will do this once). So it's the responsive of the various bits of software on each end of the connection that really make the big difference -- something that has been shown by the various patches and different methods of connecting (Altair versus FTP [and wired versus wireless]).

Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Updated both [Ux] V3 and [Uy] V3 so they work a little better (Rolling Eyes) on non-5.13.40.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Hi, how about having both as TAPs also? If they were TAPs, they would act as temporary patches that would desappear after system reboot. This way, you could decide when to use them.

Riccardo