Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Super speed up! [Ce] & [Gm] patches

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
The [Ce] CurrentEvent patch applies to most recent TF58x0 firmwares (the ones that have the Now&Next cache that AccurateBM uses). It massively improves the routine that is constantly run and very inefficient during live TV. Testing with the CPULoad TAP suggests that it could be a 30% improvement.

Some more technical info and background here.

Edit:
Another one from the output of the profiler is [Gm] GetMsg, which optimises one of the most commonly used low-level routines (and a related one). In fact, the profiler cannot show how much this is an improvement because the guts of it happen under interrupts, but the tail end of the routine (actually in the call to re-enable interrupts...) does feature very high, so it could actually make a really enormous difference (again!). In the main routine it replaces 8 multiplications with just a single one, and eliminates 93 of the 129 lines of code. It does a similar thing to the other, related routine.

Last edited by R2-D2 on Fri May 16, 2008 6:51 pm; edited 7 times in total

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
So the upshot of this is a snappier Toppy then? Just dynamically patched it and all is well so far

CW

bellissimo
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Applied patch to 5.13.65, but box hung on reboot with 'run' on the display. I tried with just this patch, but same result.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
BobD
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
That's exactly what I got. I am on a version of 5.13.65 (not the one in my sig, but one CW sent me today). He was on the same, but didn't reboot, and it worked for him. I think he has yet to try a reboot, and perhaps won't now Smile

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Bob's firmware is the same as the one in my sig. As Bob said I dynamically patched and haven't rebooted at all.

CW

billmars
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 761
Well I just added the Ce patch with HDFW and flashed the firmware. On reboot the TopField hung on 'run' and wouldn't do anything more.
Used TFDN_USB to flash a good firmware and I'm working again. Reloaded the previously saved firmware and all is OK. I did notice I got the flashing dots when I turned off the TopField when it hung at 'run', but maybe this is normal under the circumstances. Don't fancy trying it again just yet....!
Up to date list of patches (when I added Ce) :-
1365C0CyDE2FHIMhPPfR0SSrTUUcUuXpXwXl (according to HDFW).

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.6;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
andyrogers
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2005 Posts: 814
Just a note that this will not patch on 5.14.08 .

Andy

Firmware: 5.14.09 Patched
AutoStart Taps: MyStuff v5.52b, eit2mei beta 7.8m7, , Power Manager v1.2, Tap Commander v1.32, TF5000 Display v1.53a, Discription Extender v2.3, SDS 1.3b, QuickJump 1.72
Other Taps: Sudoka, mei2archive, mei2eit, snake, meisearch
R2-D2
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
bellissimo wrote:
box hung on reboot with 'run' on the display.
Ah... a mismatch in the logic of the two routines, so it doesn't cope with the 0 events case. It'll be easy to adjust... hold on...

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
andyrogers wrote:
Just a note that this will not patch on 5.14.08
It's a complex patch and specific to firmwares that I've built it for. Do you mean plain 5.14.08 or a slightly different version?

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2005 Posts: 814
Sorry R2 i did just try it again and HDFW was fine, for some reason the first time HDFW came up with not intended for this firmware. Confused

I have spotted that it does not apply to other recent generic firmwares like you say.

Iam just holding off from actually applying it fully until other people have reported back on their experiences with it.

Thanks

Andy

Firmware: 5.14.09 Patched
AutoStart Taps: MyStuff v5.52b, eit2mei beta 7.8m7, , Power Manager v1.2, Tap Commander v1.32, TF5000 Display v1.53a, Discription Extender v2.3, SDS 1.3b, QuickJump 1.72
Other Taps: Sudoka, mei2archive, mei2eit, snake, meisearch
R2-D2
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
[Ce] CurrentEvent V2 handles the no events case properly. (Soz!)

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 247
chunkywizard wrote:
So the upshot of this is a snappier Toppy then?

Just for those who are not familiar with the way that the Toppy shares its CPU cycles around... This patch should have most effect on TAPs which are CPU intensive (the effect on MEI Search is quite noticable).
BobD
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
Sweet, that'll be MS then!

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
humphrey1
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Feb 2006 Posts: 205 Location: Hannington
More good stuff, R2-D2! I continue to be impressed; keep up the fantastic work.

But:

I've just installed the [Ce] patch (version 2) on my heavily patched 5.13.65 firmware and it seems to mess up the native now/next info which appears (or doesn't) on the native now/next info bar. At first, channels appeared to have blank info for 'now' and the info about the currently running or just finished programme for 'next'. After a few minutes of operation, it seems even more messed up, sometimes with information appearing about programmes that I'm not even sure are on the same channel as that being viewed.

This is running TAP-less (or with just HDFW V2.3).

TAPs: Control Lock V1.1; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.4; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Surfer v0.14; TF5000 Display v1.43; TSSaver v0.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/13
?
R2-D2
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
humphrey1 wrote:
I've just installed the [Ce] patch (version 2) on my heavily patched 5.13.65 firmware and it seems to mess up the native now/next info which appears (or doesn't) on the native now/next info bar.
Works fine for me, but maybe you're not patched enough. Smile There are plethora of other EIT bugs/features that maybe I should have reminded people about: [Ec], [Er] and EITDupFix. With a bit of [Pf] and [Xp] (V5) thrown in for good measure to keep it properly up-to-date.