Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  [Sr] Speedy Rec

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
[Sr] SpeedyRec fixes an uninitialised variable (register) in the code that deals with the startup of a recording. Some quick tests on my TF5800 show that this speeds up the actual start of recording enormously (10 seconds down to 2.5 seconds!).

One way to check this is to use BBCNews and note the ticker positions on screen at roughly 5 second intervals after pressing Rec, then compare to the actual recording (chase play it is the quickest way, unless you want to wait a minute for the recording to be kept).

But the bug is connected to encrypted recordings, and I can't test them. I've made what I think are reasonable decisions about what they may have intended, but this might stop encrypted recordings or mess up normal recordings when there's a CAM around. So can some kind soul test it for me? (HDFW should be able to dynamically apply/remove it.)

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
OK, you've sold me this patch with the amazing speedup Shocked Apart from CAM related stuff - are there any other side effects? Come on now, you can tell us, no one else is listening ... (I'll test later - too many important things on at the mo)

Last edited by jumbo on Sat May 10, 2008 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
glenmcfar
Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Okay, I've applied it dynamically, started a recording on Setanta (bloody cricket). Got a few things recording this evening so i'll see how they end up later.

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
are there any other side effects?
I think the main side-effects will be on the unpatched system. Shocked I've heard there are several CAM-related issues, and this may fix some of those, I suppose. But it's quite hard for me to comment on that, without first-hand experience.

Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 247
R2-D2 wrote:
Shocked I've heard there are several CAM-related issues, and this may fix some of those, I suppose. But it's quite hard for me to comment on that, without first-hand experience.

I just tried this patch won a TF5800 with TUTV CAM and card.

It seems to work correctly, on encrypted and unencrypted channels. The speedup in recording start is very noticable.

I did have 2 incidents (out of about 100) where Eurosport just gave a black screen, but I would not blame the patch for that because I think it is standard behaviour.

Maybe Nigel should buy you a Setanta subscription after he has got you the HDMI screen? Wink

I am seriously impressed with your ability to debug blind machine code.
R2-D2
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
v12mike wrote:
It seems to work correctly, on encrypted and unencrypted channels.
It seems like the initialisation I added always makes it choose the "correct" path in the code now, as if the other path was unnecessary. In fact, I've found that some fairly recent firmwares on other models don't have the other path at all -- almost as if the bug had been spotted and corrected at one point (but it's still in the latest firmwares!). So I can probably simplify the patch a lot. This is something that a decent compiler would warn about ("variable value used before being set").
Quote:
The speedup in recording start is very noticable.
The huge delay in recording really messes up Accurate Recording, so it needed fixing. It only occurs on some channels (but reliably), so I think the uninitialised register is used at some higher point in the call chain. Because the delay was always 10 seconds, I think it was the (unnecessarily added) section filters timing out when they found nothing.

Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
Interesting..... Before I had installed this patch, I selected BBC NEWS and started a recording.

About 7 seconds in I rewound the recording to the begining and the box rebooted !

Glad you have a patch for this. It was slow at starting to record before

Autostart TAPs: Jags 3, Bookmark 2uk, Quickjump 1.71, Power Manager 1.1, Description Extender 1.5/2.1, MEI2Archive 3.8l6, Tap Launcher 3.5a, Tap Commander, AccurateBMExtend 0.3, RemoteExt 1.5, TunerRecAR.2
Launched during EPG scan: Crid, SeriesLink 0.35
TF5800 Version 5.13.65 PHT2UFXp5Xw3RpPcE2Bf2BqRsRh3Pf1Ec2ErEfHe1 Ra3Cf2Ct
Samsung 400Gb+Fan
mossman
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2006 Posts: 582 Location: South of Birmingham, TX: Sutton Coldfield
Just added this one - and yes, there is a marked difference in recording startup. Smile

mike.hinson
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
I always accepted that delay before, I sort of thought it was winding the springs back or something...

I have demonstrated it to everyone in the family (who had a sufficent attention span) & they have marveled at the increase in speed.

Other recordings seem to have started ok. no CAMs in this house.
/\/\
mossman
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2006 Posts: 582 Location: South of Birmingham, TX: Sutton Coldfield
mike.hinson wrote:
I always accepted that delay before, I sort of thought it was winding the springs back or something...
I had always assumed that it was filling up a buffer before it could start writing to the HDD.

There is a similar delay if you pause live TV - now would this patch have any effect on that, or is there a similar bit of code that could do with patching? I'll have to test it out.

mike.hinson
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
mossman wrote:
There is a similar delay if you pause live TV...
I don't understand. Where do you get a significant delay when pausing live TV? I know it dosn't pause instantly, but there is no 7 second delay that I know about, or am I looking in the wrong place?

/\/\
mossman
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, perhaps I didn't describe it too well - I always found that, when I paused live TV, I always lost quite a number of seconds after I unpaused initially. Afterwards (whilst still in chase-play) any subsequent pauses lost nothing. The pause was instantaneous, just that maybe 10 secs on live TV was lost before it started recording to HDD

Now I've just tested it, and I think that I might only be losing a second or so.

mike.hinson
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
ok, I see.
I hardly ever watch live TV & when I do pause live TV it is normaly to stop it moving about on the screen so I can talk to someone, rather than because I am intrested in starting it again later Very Happy I will ask the others in the house.

/\/\
v12mike
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 247
In my testing, this patch fixed the delay on recording paused live TV.
I happened to have subtitles turned on today, and they seemed remarkably snappy (not laggy as I remember them). It is a while since I used them so maybe my memory is playing tricks, or something else has changed.
mike.hinson
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
v12mike wrote:
I happened to have subtitles turned on today, and they seemed remarkably snappy (not laggy as I remember them). It is a while since I used them so maybe my memory is playing tricks, or something else has changed.
I said to my children the other day that the subtitles were a bit sluggish & they had to point out that we were watching live TV....

And I said... yea but they are not so suggish on Dr Who

And they had to point out again that we were watching live TV...

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

/\/\