Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  SATA to IDE Convertor

Page 9 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
jumbo
Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Trying to be clever, were we? These cheap adapters have been available on the eBay/internet for eons and several people in the UK, Oz and Germany took a punt and tried most of the cheap ones; Alas no joy!
simonc
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
This cheapo adapter is reported working in a TF5000. The photos show a chip with Sun... on it - probably Sunplus. I'd be a bit suspicious due to the price, but if you're starting out it might be worth a punt given one successful Toppy installation.

Oh wouldn't it be nice if we had a new model that has a SATA interface...
jumbo
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
My fear is that it'll work for some drives/capacities and not others. However, for 3 quid well worth a punt. BTW I bought a battery pack for an Asus EEE from that supplier and got it within a week from HK (not at Christmas time of course)!
CyRUS64
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
1234enough wrote:
Startech IDE2SAT adapter (amazon)worked for me with a WD7500AACS and original cable no problems

How did you get it to fit with the original cable? I am trying to upgrade with a samsung and works with original cable (with hdd hanging out of box) but with oddly does not with any other ide cables (with drilled out pin and reversed)
ngh
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 77
I have bought a Samsung hd103si ecogreen f2 1 TByte drive, and the DealExtreme adapter for my Toppy 5800. I have successfully connected the drive and adapter to my PC and transferred all the files across from the original disk.

The new drive works fine in the Toppy, but only with the original Toppy IDE cable (which can only be done by balancing the drive on top of the front panel, with the lid off). I have bought a new IDE 166 cable from Maplin (which didn't have any blanked off holes), and connected it the wrong way round (motherboard end to hard drive, slave end to Toppy motherboard). Surprisingly, it can read the files on the disk, but will not run any of the TAPs or playback any recordings.

I have removed the jumper from the adapter (which makes the drive a master). I haven't yet cut off the section of cable from slave to master (I wasn't sure if this was the right thing to do). Do people think this will make a difference? Should I buy a round IDE cable? Many thanks in advance for any advice.

simonc
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
If you're desperate, you can resort to a bit of metalwork with the drive mount allowing the drive to sit transverse. The original IDE cable also needs the cable clamps removing to get enough length for this to work.

Some pictures
jumbo
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Did you format the drive in the Toppy?
ngh
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Yes (using the toppy ide cable).

jumbo
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Can you make a recording and then play it back?
ngh
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
I took the plunge and cut the end off the cable (the section from slave to master). I then decided that the neatest way to route the cable was to fold it under the disk, then fold it (to form an L shape) in the direction of the motherboard.

I managed to start the Toppy, and all appeared to be working OK until I tried turning the Toppy on and off - on lots of occasions, it froze on startup, or would not load any TAPs, and on one occasion it did a Verifying Files and Folders.

I then re-routed the cable (in a fairly crumpled manner) over the motherboard. This seems to have improved the situation, but I have still had a couple of freezes on startup. When it starts up OK, recording two programmes whilst playing back another seems to work OK.

I have ordered a round IDE cable, in the hope that the shielding might help improve the situation. Any other suggestions welcome. (I know that I have got Simonc's suggestion of using the original cable and mounting the disk sideways as a final fallback solution).

nvingo
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Jul 2010 Posts: 102 Location: Norfolk
ngh wrote:
...then re-routed the cable (in a fairly crumpled manner) over the motherboard. This seems to have improved the situation,
Any other suggestions welcome.
You can make a ribbon cable more flexible by dividing the ribbon into two or three smaller ones - carefully knife between the conductors leaving at least an inch length uncut at each plug.
If dividing into three or more, the cuts don't need to be the same length.
phil solo
Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2009 Posts: 40
Having just this afternoon upgraded my HDD to a Western Digital 1Tb Caviar Green Model WD10EARS (for those interested Model WD10EURS is the 'A/V' specified equivalent) coupled to the StarTech IDE2SAT card, I too ran foul of the IDE cable problem initially.

You absolutely have to have an 80-wire cable, the 40-wire version won't suffice. I stuck a 40-wire IDE cable in there initially, since it was shorter and neater than anything else I had. Whilst I could read the filesystem, attempts to run the HDDInfo TAP froze the Toppy - the folder view closed, though FILE remained on the front panel and only a double/triple press of Standby on the remote would close the unit down. Also, on playback I found I had broken sound but no picture.

Swapping for the 80-wire cable, inserted "backwards" of course else the system won't respond, fixed things so that the TAPs would run and recorded test files would play. Interestingly, the earlier file recorded whilst the 40-wire cable was in place (which would play only disjointed sound before), now played back fine with picture and sound in place, so obviously recorded okay. Surprised

Anyway, these results are literally hot off the test bench and I have yet to properly remount the drive caddy and IDE cable and screw down the lid, so hopefully nothing goes awry when I do so Cool

?
ngh
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
... and here is the end of my story:

I tried the round 80 wire IDE cable (host connected to the disk). It was even worse than the flat ribbon cable in terms of the Toppy crashing, freezing etc. To make matters worse, when the Topppy crashed, it lost all channels and so when it re-booted, it loaded up the native menu and the only option available was to do a channel re-scan. I then cut off the surplus length between the slave and master connectors, but it made no difference.

So it was back to the drawing board. I ordered a Newlink adapter (from Micro Direct - 22.05, including next day delivery). Whilst waiting for it to arrive, I connected the drive using the original Toppy cable, and balanced the drive on top of the front panel, with the lid removed. This worked most of the time, but even then, on one occasion, it failed to start up for the Daily EPG Scan.

The Newlink adapter finally arrived, and then I realised that I also needed a 4 pin molex to Sata power cable. Eventually, all connected up, and working like a dream. I also fitted a Scythe S-FLEX 80mm fan - it's barely audible with the sound muted - and definitely can't be heard when listening to a programme.

So the moral of the story - don't try and be a cheapskate. The DealExtreme adapter may work perfectly well in a normal PC (although I can't vouch for that) - but it appears to be very susceptible to 'noise' picked up from the IDE cable when used in the Toppy. In my case, it didn't work reliably under any circumstances.

gingerly
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Jan 2007 Posts: 76 Location: South London
BAD DEALEXTREME !

I have been using the Dealextreme adaptor with a Samsung Ecogreen F2 1TB drive for a couple of months.
Its been fine since I made an 80 wire slave-master (no mb) ide cable.
I've been pleased with its reliability and cheapness ... until now.

The drive is reported as 'Camsung HD30#I 834Gb' and has all the programFiles intact but since a VF&F has
**NO** recordings !!!
(a four hour scan with TopHDWR is in progress)

ngh : consider yourself fortunate and/or wise.

GingerLee.

?
jumbo
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
Your frustration is clear from the two identical posts (something that is discouraged here)!

I started a topic on Bad DealExtreme Adapter sometime ago and warned people of the quality. That said you haven't actually confirmed (in either of your posts) that you have used another adapter with success! So please confirm before we can conclude that the adapter has been the cause of your problem.