Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  SATA to IDE Convertor

Page 8 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Lawtie
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Sep 2005 Posts: 457
Gizmologist wrote:
Could you be kind enough to say exactly what parts (adapters, HDD, cable and so-on) has worked for you, or modify your profile to include your mods, and anything you tried that improved things?

I've got the same disk as you. I couldn't get the Span adaptor because of long lead time but was offered a different one. That didn't work in the slightest so I ordered the Sabrent adaptor mentioned here.

I already had an 80 wire cable from scraps - can't say what make or where from - sorry. But as Jumbo says the cable will be the least of your problems. Also the link Jumbo provided to the StarTech adaptor looks very similar to the Sabrent I got from Aerocooler in the US. Cheaper too.

Once you get the adaptor sorted out, I'd reformat in the Toppy - in the past I've found that safer/more reliable than the TfHDRW formatting.

Good luck. Smile

Gizmologist
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2006 Posts: 19 Location: 2m S of Henfield, W Sussex
Thanks Lawtie - I've one of the StarTech adapters on order now so I'll give that a go the minute it arrives.

One other question though - I found a reference on the 'instruction manual' (slip of paper) in with the Samsung HD103UJ HDD to resetting the speed from the factory setting of 3Gb/s down to 1.5Gb/s. It says 'In some rare cases SATA 1.5Gb/s hosts cannot establish SATA interface connection with SATA 3Gb/s devices due to interface protocol issues. Samsung's website goes further, saying 'If SATA 3.0Gbps is connected with some mainboards which can only support SATA 1.5Gbps, the system should be stopped or hanged up.'!! Looking at the spec of the Sabrent it is rated as 'up to 1.5Gb/s'. Looking at the IDE-SATA01 from Span - same data rate of 1.5Gb/s!

So my question is did you use the Samsung utility to reduce the data rate? Or are there several 'marks' of HD103UJ I wonder? Mine has a Serial ATA 3Gb/s flash on the label, and all the specs certainly indicate it as being 3Gb/s.

Bottom line is if the Sabrent doesn't work I've another route to try! Really appreciate your help - thanks.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK
Lawtie wrote:
moogaloo wrote:
Is your PC reasonably modern?

It is and I had a spare SATA connection. However, I didn't have a spare power supply to it so had to use the converter and stick it on the CD/ROM ribbon.

TfHDRW could see both disks but just didn't like copying between the two.

That might have been the problem. Some PATA disk controllers do not like big disks. I did the same thing on my PC it was recognised in TfHDRW and copy started ok, but failed with all kinds of errors and corrupted the disk. Good you got a work around though, good luck.

Lawtie
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Sep 2005 Posts: 457
Gizmologist wrote:
So my question is did you use the Samsung utility to reduce the data rate?

Well that just shows my powers of observation. Or lack of them. I didn't even notice any such distinction. I just stuck it in the Toppy and it worked okay. It is noticeably noisier that the old 160Gb disk and makes a definite clunk on shut down. So I'll be looking out for any signs of it "going funny". I've used the HDD TAP to put it in quiet mode and I think that helped a little.

moogaloo
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 585 Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK
[quote="Lawtie"]
Gizmologist wrote:
It is noticeably noisier that the old 160Gb disk and makes a definite clunk on shut down. So I'll be looking out for any signs of it "going funny". I've used the HDD TAP to put it in quiet mode and I think that helped a little.

I had the same problem when I upgraded mine. Do you have the old style cradle or the one with the rubber gromits? Yuo can get a rubber gromit replacement from turbosat. You can also put rubber feet on the bottom. I have done all of this but it is still noiser than before.

Gizmologist
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2006 Posts: 19 Location: 2m S of Henfield, W Sussex
The StarTech IDE2SAT IDE to SATA works with the Samsung 1TB HD103UJ in my 5800. The Span SATA01 converter didn't work for me. See my other post of today in the 'Disk upgrades - known working and problem models' thread for details.

Thanks for all the help from others in both threads.

Richard

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 Feb 2008 Posts: 83
[quote="Gizmologist"]The StarTech IDE2SAT IDE to SATA works with the Samsung 1TB HD103UJ in my 5800. The Span SATA01 converter didn't work for me. See my other post of today in the 'Disk upgrades - known working and problem models' thread for details.

Just upgraded using StarTech IDE2SAT IDE to SATA adapter and 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD, all appear to work fine and easy to do. Now just waiting for Mystuff 6 to be released and my box will be perfect.
b1g_t0ne
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
Yes - I've just fitted a Startech adapter with a 320GB Seagate PipelineHD drive to my Toppy and although I was wary of the fact it is a SATA II 3Gbps drive I left the jumper alone (as in didn't restrict it to 1.5Gbps) and fitted both bits as they came - formatted quickly and has worked fine since.

The new drive seems quieter than the old 250Gb Samsung - I haven't heard any humming or clicking from it at all, even under dual record while playing back conditions.

It's difficult to tell whether it's cooler too, but you could have fried an egg on top of the Sammy when I took it out!

Shocked
Aborigine
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Apr 2005 Posts: 447 Location: Amersham
StarTech seem to have a new product: IDE2SAT25, which looks like it is designed to connect to the motherboard rather than the drive and use a SATA cable to connect. Anybody tried this in a Toppy or have any thoughts about whether it should work?
jumbo
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
It will not work as it uses the JMicron JM20330 chipset which has been reported as not working with the Toppy. For example see posts here.
Sebby
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Site helper Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: London
I'm having a real hard time trying to find an IDE to SATA adaptor in stock. Does anyone know anything about the Lycom ST101L? Scan have it in stock. I can only find reference to the ST106, which uses a different chipset. I believe the ST101L uses the Sunplus SPIF3811-HV096. I can't find any reference to this chipset and the Toppy.

There's also a Plexus model available on eBuyer, but I don't know what chipset it uses.

jumbo
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Sebby wrote:
I'm having a real hard time trying to find an IDE to SATA adaptor in stock.
Do you mean to say that all previously mentioned UK sellers are out of stock! Goodness me. It must be all those quiet Toppy users mopping up the supplies. You try Lindy (in the UK) or Conrad (Germany) which are known working adaptors. Unfortunately with the hammered all other currencies make imports rather more expensive than a year ago.
Sebby
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
Site helper Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: London
It seems that way. Lindy is overly expensive I think. I didn't really want to order from abroad. I've decided just to go for a PATA drive and save myself the hassle! Thanks anyway. Smilem

1234enough
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Startech IDE2SAT adapter (amazon)worked for me with a WD7500AACS and original cable no problems
ndg123
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to get some joy from the HD103UJ 1Tb SATA drive attached to a little motherboard-plugged IDE-SATA adapter which I ordered from ebuyer (along with a couple of the drives, as they were cheap). It was described as a Plexus RXD-629 but was a Plexus RXD-628 (which was what I wanted: IDE host, SATA device). Dead cheap and worth a go I thought, but unfortunately it didn't work.

The toppy booted up and offered to format the drive, and then hung and didn't want to know anything more about it. Tried reformatting, saw various errors in ToppyHDFW. Actually running HDTune with it attached to the PC showed large variations in the speed - indicating it wasn't too stable perhaps.

Now just ordered a span/marvell device, see how it goes.