Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Feature change request: Extended signal strength function

Page 1 of 1
emsee
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 May 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Bristol, UK
If you press the red button under the Installation > Service Search menu, you get a enlarged signal level/quality display along with a broken tone.

When I first found this, I though the broken tone would vary either in speed or pitch depending on the signal level or quality.
This doesn't appear to be the case and is a rather lost opportunity in my opinion.

It would be better if the tones got more rapid as the signal strength increased so that by the time it got to over 95%, the tone was continuous.

This would make adjusting an aerial much easier as you could just turn the volume up on your TV or use two phones and adjust the ariel until the tone was continous.
Magpie
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Apr 2005 Posts: 52
emsee wrote:
When I first found this, I though the broken tone would vary either in speed or pitch depending on the signal level or quality.
This doesn't appear to be the case and is a rather lost opportunity in my opinion.

Mine varies in speed according to strength.
emsee
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 May 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Bristol, UK
Magpie wrote:
Mine varies in speed according to strength.

With no signal at all, the tone on mine sounds about every 4 seconds but once it's got any kind of signal strong enough to show a picture (even a blocky one) then the tones become rapid.
NickC
Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 105 Location: Oxfordshire
Where I struggle with the setup of my Toppy is getting the best signal to both tuners - it would be useful for me if there was an option on the signal level / quality screen to swap between the two tuners, or even display details on both of them at the same time.

Mind you - there might well be a way to get it to do this now & Ive just not found it..
bellandbottle
Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 857 Location: Reading - Crystal Palace
NickC wrote:
Where I struggle with the setup of my Toppy is getting the best signal to both tuners - it would be useful for me if there was an option on the signal level / quality screen to swap between the two tuners, or even display details on both of them at the same time.

Mind you - there might well be a way to get it to do this now & Ive just not found it..

If you use Picture in Picture and Picture Swap, you can test both tuners.

Others: HDDinfo V2.0, TAP Commander 1.0.1, UK Timers v1.2, Channel Organiser 2A.