Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Recording (and file) saver

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
If a crash or power cut happens during a recording then usually most, if not all, of the recording is lost. This is dependent on other activity during the recording, so unattended recordings are very likely to end up as 0Mb. The problem arises because the FAT in RAM is not synced with the copy on disk very often (usually only when a file is created, deleted or closed).

The [Rs] RecordingSaver patch fixes this, and syncs the FAT whenever a new cluster is allocated so it should end up saving the whole recording (up to the point of failure). Note that you still need to run something like mei2archive to ensure the header is written to the .rec file on next boot, and the header will probably contain an incorrect duration so indicated times will be wonky.

As an aside, the [Fs] FileSaver patch does a similar thing for normal files, although this is probably of more interest to developers than normal users.

[Both these patches are complex ones that do not contain a generic patch. This means that if I don't have a copy of your specific firmware then the patch will not apply. Feel free to post a request for your firmware to be added (with a link to where I can find a copy!).]

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
I trust this patch has been subjected to exhaustive tests, i.e. pulling the plug whilst single/dual recording at least 20 times Cool
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I know how to crash a Toppy, if that's what you mean. Smile

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
just when i thought your creative juices had ended Laughing

excellent Smile

Last edited by Andy K on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Autostart TAPs: Jags 3, Bookmark 2uk, Quickjump 1.71, Power Manager 1.1, Description Extender 1.5/2.1, MEI2Archive 3.8l6, Tap Launcher 3.5a, Tap Commander, AccurateBMExtend 0.3, RemoteExt 1.5, TunerRecAR.2
Launched during EPG scan: Crid, SeriesLink 0.35
TF5800 Version 5.13.65 PHT2UFXp5Xw3RpPcE2Bf2BqRsRh3Pf1Ec2ErEfHe1 Ra3Cf2Ct
Samsung 400Gb+Fan
Livy
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 584 Location: Fife, Scotland
would recording fixer be able to fix the header on these files?

• Connected via Buffalo Linkstation Live 2TB
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Livy wrote:
would recording fixer be able to fix the header on these files?
Yes, although I'd recommend mei2archive because it does this job really well and completely automatically. (I did think of trying to patch the Toppy's native header mechanism, but mei2archive is great for merged recordings, adding all the descriptions, which is functionality that would be difficult to add in a patch.)

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Could the patch be modified so as to make the file "playable" albeit with no description? (or is that already what it does - I have not tried it yet!)
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
or is that already what it does
You could think of the patch as doing the bit of salvaging that mei2archive, RecordingFixer and no other TAP can do (i.e. saving the contents of the file, not just the header).

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
you are a genius.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks R2-D2

The only fault I can find with this patch is that my Toppy is so reliable that I can't remember the last time it crashed.

However, not wanting to make a fool of myself I will be patching this on later today in the sure knowledge that if I don't then the next crash will take out my wife's favourite program of the year.

/\/\
simonc
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
Is mei2archive also clever enough to start a second recording for the second part of the interrupted programme?
jumbo
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Presumably the patch kicks-in upon reboot which leads me to the question of performance: Does it scan the entire disc looking for dodgy files to fix or does it know exactly where to find them or something even cleverer? I have a couple of thousand mp3's lurking around; will I notice any kind of performance degradation (CPU and/or disc access)?

What channel name will it assign to the file so that I could make an appropriate logo for it to make the file "obvious".
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
Presumably the patch kicks-in upon reboot
No, as in the first post, it syncs the FAT when a new cluster is allocated.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
How big are the clusters?
If I were to have a power failure in the middle of a recording what would be the bigest chunk of file I could still loose in a worse case?

Given that some broadcasts use more disk space per minute than others what range of times does this worse case equate to in minutes please?

We have all see the worse case before the patch which is to loose the whole recording, even if the program had finished. (or multiple programs with MyStuff merged timers)

Thanks again,
/\/\
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
mike.hinson wrote:
How big are the clusters?
About 1.25Mb on my Toppy (160Gb). This is about 3secs on a decent quality channel, but much more on the poorer ones. The reason I decided that syncing when a new cluster was allocated is that this should mean that the whole recording is saved (i.e. there may be junk at the very end, but nothing missed).

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 53
If the FAT is being updated for each cluster written, does this result in considerably more disk head movement and therefore an increase in disk noise?