Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  TAP compatibility with the TF5810

Page 1 of 1
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
With the first 5810s likely to appear in the hands of users at the end of this week, I thought I'd write a few words about TAP compatibility.

Broadly speaking, there's no reason why a specific TAP that works on the TF5800 won't work on the TF5810. However there are some exceptions.

Obviously, TAPs that do things by poking around in the firmware won't be compatible with the 5810 firmware. That includes things like TF5000 display, and possibly some less obvious ones. Any TAPs that used special libraries won't work, or won't have all their features, until those libraries have been updated to work with the new model.

We also don't recommend that you use TAPs to manage timers on the 5810, if you are intending to use the build in EPG to set timers, especially series links. You will have timers messed up as a result; this is a known issue, which the first update for the TF5810 will address.

Additionally some key assignments on the TF5810 remote aren't available to TAPs. This too is due to be addressed in the first update to the TF5810. At the moment, for example, the red button on the remote won't be available to TAPs.

You'll see the icon above next to TAPs that we have tested on the TF5810 in the TAP list, and you can see a list of known working TAPs here.

Note that even where we've marked a TAP as known to work, it may still be affected by some of the issues mentioned above.

I'd be most grateful if people could report their own experiences of TAPs on the TF5810, so that we can update the database over the next few weeks.

Nigel.

Last edited by nwhitfield on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Can it be safely assumed that the mainstream TAPs not listed with the 5810 tick mark have been tested and proven not to be compatible? It would be useful to have a 5810 cross mark for TAPs (and their version) known to be incompatible too Wink (Starting with TF5000Display and various TAPs using FireBirdLib)
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
Nope; you can't assume anything just yet - the vast majority of things are not yet tested either way; there are only five people with 5810s so far, and most of us have been far too busy testing the core firmware to check out TAP issues, beyond the most basic.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I have had this machine a week. TAPS from here that should run that I've tried are MP3 Player. It works but setting the start button to SAT has no effect. For me the AUX button starts it and then I can't get the switch between PVR and VHS scart outputs to TV to work as they do when the TAP is removed. In fact it seems to me that remote buttons generally are an issue. Loaded the image viewer from the Topfield site which loaded but then no buttond worked to get me out of it
aramil
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
Just to let everyone know that Font Manager does not work on the TF5810.

loads ok but when you access the menu to change font it reboots the machine and has to do a check/verify.......

many thank

Aramil

geoff.campbell
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Another TAP that definitely doesn't work on the 5810 is ChannelRemover (which is a bit of a bugger, as we get all channels from two transmitters). I notice that the downloadable version is 1.6, despite there being a mention of v1.7 available, perhaps this might help if I could find it?

MyStuff works OK, but has no facilities to support Series Link, which is a shame. Also some of the remote buttons do strange things, for example "Exit" turns the volume down, with apparently no corresponding button to turn it back up again.

If I can be of any help testing modifications on my 5810, just shout.

Regards,
Geoff
aramil
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
geoff.campbell wrote:
MyStuff works OK, but has no facilities to support Series Link, which is a shame. Also some of the remote buttons do strange things, for example "Exit" turns the volume down, with apparently no corresponding button to turn it back up again.

If I can be of any help testing modifications on my 5810, just shout.

Regards,
Geoff

Hi Geoff

Your remote problem is because you have remote extender in your auto start folder and it is not compatable with the TF5810 if you remove it from there your remote should work properly (Firmware issues outstanding)

MyStuff & your Toppy should then work properly.

As for series link Look up the Control Timers section in the MyStuff manual these work better than the series link!! by having defineable keyword searching.

Many thanks

Andy

geoff.campbell
Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
[/quote]

Your remote problem is because you have remote extender in your auto start folder and it is not compatable with the TF5810 if you remove it from there your remote should work properly (Firmware issues outstanding)

MyStuff & your Toppy should then work properly.

As for series link Look up the Control Timers section in the MyStuff manual these work better than the series link!! by having defineable keyword searching.

Many thanks

Andy[/quote]

Ah, I wonder if that accounts for the rather odd behaviour I'm wrestling with currently? I shall remove it and see if it works.

I'm fully up to speed on CTs, thanks, I was hoping that Series Link might be rather more intelligent and only record one of each episode. Ideally I'd like a control timer that understands series/episode numbering and can be made to keep trying timers until it gets one and only one of each episode in a series.

Still, that's just splitting hairs, there's nothing wrong with the way they work now Smile

Thanks for the response.

Regards,
Geoff
topenski
Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
With the first 5810s likely to appear in the hands of users at the end of this week, I thought I'd write a few words about TAP compatibility.

Broadly speaking, there's no reason why a specific TAP that works on the TF5800 won't work on the TF5810. However there are some exceptions.

Obviously, TAPs that do things by poking around in the firmware won't be compatible with the 5810 firmware. That includes things like TF5000 display, and possibly some less obvious ones. Any TAPs that used special libraries won't work, or won't have all their features, until those libraries have been updated to work with the new model.

We also don't recommend that you use TAPs to manage timers on the 5810, if you are intending to use the build in EPG to set timers, especially series links. You will have timers messed up as a result; this is a known issue, which the first update for the TF5810 will address.

Additionally some key assignments on the TF5810 remote aren't available to TAPs. This too is due to be addressed in the first update to the TF5810. At the moment, for example, the red button on the remote won't be available to TAPs.

You'll see the icon above next to TAPs that we have tested on the TF5810 in the TAP list, and you can see a list of known working TAPs here.

Note that even where we've marked a TAP as known to work, it may still be affected by some of the issues mentioned above.

I'd be most grateful if people could report their own experiences of TAPs on the TF5810, so that we can update the database over the next few weeks.

Nigel.

I moved Media Manager 1.5 across to my Toppy 5810, using Altair, highlighted it ,then pressed the OK button, a brief message came up that files etc were loading, I then pressed the recall button, TV screen went grey for a few seconds then a box came up showing that the Toppy was verifying files and folders, this completed, the box disappeared & TV showed a channel as usual. Pressed the button for MP3, Program files etc, Program files showed Media Manager was installed . I could not get any interaction regarding Media Manager whatsoever, no different screens, nothing! I am running Vista 32 bit on the PC I use to interface with my Toppy, maybe this is causing the problem, although I am running the Vista 32 bit Altair Drivers. What am I not doing correctly, I would add that this is my first Toppy, not having heard of Topfield before last month.
Topenski
R2-D2
Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
topenski wrote:
I moved Media Manager 1.5 across to my Toppy 5810
The TF5810 is pretty much a Masterpiece model, so you need to run Media Manager in Masterpiece mode. Check the readme to see how to do that.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
I believe aramil had Media Manager working on the TF5810 without having to tweak any settings, so not sure why it would crash on startup.

The readme that comes with the TAP has some troubleshooting tips. I suggest you work through those first.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
bellissimo
Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Saying that, it is worth trying to turn on Masterpiece mode (just in case).

You should be able to do this by loading TAP Commander first, then aftert starting MM, getting to the MM options screen via TAP Commander. From here you can navigate to the Masterpiece mode option (near the bottom somewhere). If you get to the options screen, you can also set activation keys for the MP3 Manager, Video Manager etc. It is worth trying to access these as well in case it is a problem with a file in ProgramFiles.

By the way, the Verifying Files & Folders means the Toppy has rebooted, so after that MM was no longer loaded. Just because you can see it in ProgramFiles does not mean it is loaded. You can use TAP Commander to see which TAPs are actually running.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
ChrisSki
Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Sep 2008 Posts: 64
Just wanted to report that I installed the Automove TAP (1.8 final) onto my TF5810 and it works perfectly so far.

Cheers,

?
TOPBOY33
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:

Nigel.

I have found a couple of taps that work with the 5810 and what I have on my 5810 listed underneath so far. also a few patches. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
[quote)R2D2 tap MpDisplayLite locks up my 5810 after loading / searching My Stuff