Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Font Manager 1.0d

Page 14 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
R2-D2
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
juwlz wrote:
P.S. I seem to remember R2-D2 saying somewhere that a 2TB drive would be too big for the Toppy to cope with for some reason.
2TB ought to be OK -- it's 2.2TB and beyond that will definitely have issues.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2005 Posts: 299
I pulled the wall plug so I could time a VF&F, and maybe found something helpful.

Timings first, from power on, through VF&F to all taps loaded is just under 4 minutes. The 1.5TB disk is half full of mostly TV progs, with maybe 20 mp3 and 50 photos. Total usage 726GB.

After the VF&F finished, the taps loaded. First I saw Media Manager say it was initialising (not using FM font), then the FM screen came up normally, and then Media Manager wrote 'loading data files' (using FM font) on top of the FM screen. After a few seconds this all disappeared and MyStuff loaded, but without finishing with 'now and next' banner.

At this point, any keystroke brings up a mangled FM screen. I think perhaps the keystroke did what it should do, but the onscreen graphic that corresponds to the keystroke was not drawn, leaving the previous FM graphic to be displayed.

If the first keystroke happens to be a keystroke that can be dismissed with the exit key, eg. MS archive key, or N&N key, then the FM graphic gets taken away. If not, the FM graphic cannot be dismissed, making it look like it is FM that is misbehaving.

After this point, everything works normally.

Regarding stability, I have plenty of that. The toppy doesn't crash that I know of. I leave Power Manager to shut it down at 2am (I often forget to power it down myself because I went 3 years leaving it on all the time).

But yes, I would like to know why the VF&F occurs about once a week...

R2-D2
Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Black Cloud wrote:
then the FM screen came up normally
Trouble is, that's not normal is it? FM is acting as if it weren't being started from Auto Start, so it's bringing up its menu. I think the problem is that the Auto Start sequence is a little different from manually running TAPs, so the other TAPs are unfortunately not in a position to notice this. And I think the screen gets reset too, which obviously doesn't help the user understand what's happening. I believe MyStuff has code that enables it to check a bit harder [than the standard API] what might be happening, so that's why it doesn't interfere.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3449
I've recently used the MyStuff installer with all the options, including Font Manager. When the Toppy rebooted, it went into a boot loop which I eventually traced to Font Manager. Removing FM from Autostart allowed the Toppy to work normally.

I've since tried copying fresh versions of the FM TAP and Fonts folder to the Toppy in the hope that an original file had become corrupted, but it went into the loop again as soon as I ran FM.

Any thoughts?

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Black Cloud
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Have you tried auto starting in a different order? My problem was resolved by shifting Font manager about in the load order until it worked.

andyfras
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I assumed that the installer put the TAPs in the correct order. I've used the MS installer hundreds of times and never seen this particular problem before.

I was going to try changing the order, but I can't remember how to do it. TAP Commander seems to need the TAPs running to be able to change the order.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4348
The installer doesn't put the taps in the correct order; it just does a normal file copy to the toppy.

When the file is received at the toppy, it is stored in the first "free" file slot of the directory (For efficiency, when files are deleted, the toppy file system just marks the file entry as "free" - it doesn't shuffle the other entries down to fill in the hole left by the deleted file).

[edit]You can use the TM PcControl| Tap Commander screen to reorder the taps[/edit]

When TM reorders Auto Start; it removes the existing entries by renaming them into another temporary folder. After these renames are complete, Auto Start is now empty. TM then renames the files back into Auto Start in the required order.

The whole system works quite well. The main reason for having taps in the wrong order is that one has performed an upgrade where some files have been deleted before copying upgraded versions to the box (like the MS installer!)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
andyfras
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
So what is the recommended order (particularly where should FM be)?

Black Cloud
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I have mine in second place, right after Tap Commander. That seems to work for me.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4348
I've always treated this as a low priority tap so that it loads "late" in the startup order (see my Signature).

The key thing is to put PcControl as the first tap. If it can't be first, it needs to load before EPG2MEI (it needs to prevent EPG2MEI hooking something in the operating system). Should EPG2MEI load before PcControl, PcControl attempts to stop and restart it and this can cause a crash/reboot (I suspect EPG2MEI hasn't fully initialised at the point PcControl attempts to stop it). Following the crash/reboot, PcControl appears to overcome the fact that EPG2MEI has started before it (probably something to do with timing caused by the disk needing to spin up when the toppy first boots and the disk still spinning after the crash).

ISTR that StopExit (if used) should be loaded early.

Anything that intercepts/captures key strokes needs to be loaded before another tap that will also process the same key strokes.
e.g. QuickJump before MyStuff.

The other taps can be in any order but I tend to do MyStuff "early" as it takes some time to process.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
andyfras
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
I've tried moving FM to next after MyStuff with the same result.

I've just tried taking FM out of Autostart, then running it once everything else has settled. FM loads OK, but as soon as an MS page is accessed, it crashes, so it seems it is something to do with how MS is interfacing with FM.

This was a clean install on a replacement disk, so there should be no old, possibly corrupted files. I suppose that the next step is a reformat and fresh install in case something got corrupted during the first installation.

andyfras
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
Format and MyStuff reinstall fixed it. Very Happy I should have tried that earlier. Embarassed

Thanks for all your input.