Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Font Manager 1.0d

Page 13 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
bellissimo
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
I wonder if it is possible to determine programatically whether the system has performed a vf&f on startup. Or alternatively whether the tap was started as part of the startup procedure, or manually.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
EMJB
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3630 Location: Maldon Essex
bellissimo wrote:
I wonder if it is possible to determine programatically whether the system has performed a vf&f on startup. Or alternatively whether the tap was started as part of the startup procedure, or manually.

Firebird's "BootReason" may be the function you are looking for (plus a patch from R2-D2 to reset the TAP_GetTick() count to zero after a V&V???)

EMJB
bellissimo
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
Not sure the BootReason will tell you whether it has done a VF&F (in my version anyway). A patch to reset the tick count is an interesting idea, though no idea how feasible this is.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
liamf
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I may have found out the cause of my crashes and VF&F. Opened the toppy and my 1tb wd10eads was red hot! Checked caps which I replaced a year ago with maplin ones, and 2 1000uf caps were badly domed at the top. I have changed 5 of the 6 common ones again but voltages still not great.
HDD put in PC and topf HD doctor run but crashes after finding 5 errors. Topf HDRW finds the 5 errors and then sees the drive. I have bought a new 1.5tb F2 HDD so that I can copy files across (hopefully most can be salvaged) then I will format the 1tb drive and try again.
EMJB
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
bellissimo wrote:
Not sure the BootReason will tell you whether it has done a VF&F (in my version anyway).

Sorry, I had forgotten the comment against the last return value of BootReason:
Code:
BOOT_FRONT_PANEL,
    BOOT_REMOTE_CONTROL,
    BOOT_TIMER,
    BOOT_CRASH_REBOOT                  //applied by the AutoReboot TAP only

but I wonder what return value you do get in a rebooting cycle as none of the first three really apply.

EMJB
FireBird
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 358 Location: Vienna/Austria
The front panel is the origin of these constants. While it keeps the main board powered up, it will always report the same value ? regardless of any reboot cycles of the main processor.
EMJB
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
FireBird wrote:
The front panel is the origin of these constants. While it keeps the main board powered up, it will always report the same value ? regardless of any reboot cycles of the main processor.

Thanks very much for the clarification.

EMJB
Black Cloud
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2005 Posts: 299
Salopian wrote:
If the box crashes and on restarting does a Checking Files & folders when the check has finished Font Manager comes up.
It allows me to select a font but there is no way to exit the screen, I have to switch off and then on again to get rid of it.

I am having similar symptoms now that I am being kind to my toppy and putting it in standby overnight (previously ran for 3 years always on, consuming one PSU along the way).

Mine doesn't crash, but sometimes does a vf&f on startup, presumably due to getting confused while shutting down. After a vf&f, everything looks normal except MyStuff doesn't display Now and Next at startup. The first remote button press, usually the info button, brings up the FM settings screen instead of the MS now and next, and the FM settings screen is incorrectly drawn, lacking its surrounding box (FM wrote on the picture instead of drawing a box and then writing inside it). The exit button does not dismiss FM unless pressed many times.

After that everything is OK, but SWMBO remains freaked for at least 30 minutes.

juwlz
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Looks like you're seeing the same problem as me: certain TAPs behave differently on startup compared with interactive running. The VF&F takes so long that FontManager (and FastScanGUI) decide that the Toppy has been running long enough that this must be an interactive run, and so display their screens.

The MyInfo startup/interactive timeout was extended a while ago, so that doesn't (yet) think that I'm running it interactively after a VF&F, and I don't see the screen for that one.

I guess since you have a 1.5TB drive, you've probably got lots of recordings (i.e files) for VF&F to check through. In my case, it's only a normal 500MB drive that's nearly full. So if nothing else takes any time when there's a VF&F, 4 times the timeout should do it for those who have full 1.5TB drives, which is pretty much the worst case scenario Wink.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
bellissimo
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
The major thing (as far as I have experienced) that determines the length of the VF&F is the number of files on the drive, not the size. I used to have around 5000 MP3s and 3000 photos on my 160GB drive (plus multiple cached versions of the files), and VF&F could take 10 minutes. For this reason alone, I decided to remove them as you tend to get a lot of VF&Fs when you're developing TAPs.

How long would you estimate your VF&F was taking?

Personally I think you are better off investigating why you are getting VF&F on startup in the first place. This does not sound healthy to me, and increases your chances of a corrupt hard disk FAT and losing your recordings.

juwlz
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Yes, my suggestion was merely that with a 1.5TB disk, you have much more room for larger NUMBERS of files than I have with only a 500MB disk (and only TAPs and their supporting files and recordings, no MP3s).

I know what the cause of my crashes are (or most of them, at least). BobD is working on it Wink.

However, the issue still remains that on those occasions when a VF&F DOES occur, the time period for anybody with "lots" of files (e.g. a full 500MB drive, or an upgraded drive large enough to have lots of files (increasingly common as older Toppies have their caps replaced and upgrade to larger green drives), or even lots of small files on a smaller drive) isn't large enough for FM to think that it's running from AutoStart.

Julie

bellissimo
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Well if we are talking worst case scenarios, then that would be a 2TB drive filled to overflowing with 1MB photos. With Media Manager caching taken into account that could amount to approx 5 million files. I guesstimate that this would take circa 16 hours to do a full VF&F Smile

A silly example of course, but makes the point that it could take an awful long time. When I get the chance, I will change the timeout to 15 mins. This should be sufficient for the vast majority of people.

With regards to the crashes, I was referring to 'Black Cloud' more than you juwlz. I know Bob likes to break things Wink, but 'Black Cloud' should not be having these problems with stable builds of TAPs.

juwlz
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
... except that it's the released version that's crashing my machine (due to a combination of not much memory on the 5810 and a nearly full disk - which no other MS user appears to have, thankfully) Rolling Eyes. I'm pleased to say the latest internal release is behaving much better Wink.

I have a feeling that EMJB increased the MyInfo "delay" to something like 5 mins (but I may be wrong, and haven't got time to wade through the thread to find out now). Whatever it is, it's certainly long enough for my setup at the moment ... but probably wouldn't cope with a full 1.5TB drive (even if the files were sensible sized recordings).

Julie

P.S. I seem to remember R2-D2 saying somewhere that a 2TB drive would be too big for the Toppy to cope with for some reason. I forget the technical details, but we can probably safely assume 1.5TB as the uper limit.

bellissimo
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:

P.S. I seem to remember R2-D2 saying somewhere that a 2TB drive would be too big for the Toppy to cope with for some reason. I forget the technical details, but we can probably safely assume 1.5TB as the uper limit.

Fair enough. I review my worst case scenario to circa 12 hours VF&F Cool

juwlz
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Laughing