Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Font Manager 1.0d

Page 12 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
stuey
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 203 Location: East London/Essex border
Hi there - it's been a while since I actively posted on the forums and a long while since I regularly checked specific ones, but due to activity on the imminent retuning and MyStuff 6's release I was drawn across the forums today and was gobsmacked to see this one existed, let alone the quality of the TAP it's there for!

I would therefore like to thank and congratulate all that were involved in bringing this TAP to release, as it is something I've been grumbling to myself about for ages and it *vastly* improves the toppy's useability!

So sincere thanks.

bellissimo
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Salopian wrote:
If the box crashes and on restarting does a Checking Files & folders when the check has finished Font Manager comes up.
It allows me to select a font but there is no way to exit the screen, I have to switch off and then on again to get rid of it.

It probably comes up because of the delay from start up due to the VF&F. Therefore it thinks it was started manually so shows the config page. However I don't know why it would not close when you press 'Exit'??

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
liamf
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I have had this happen a 4 times in the last 3 weeks. Occasionally it has taken 2 power offs to fix as the font manager screen came up again and would not exit. I have just started experimenting with tap loading list in tap commander to see if I can fix it.
I have looked all over the Mystuff pages looking for someone with the same problem.
This also happened on the tf5810 at work.
Not good as they were already hacked off with the thomson dti6300 spluttering and freezing picture which was much improved after changing the psu caps. So I bought the tf5810 cheap as it was faulty and fixed it, to show them what a proper PVR is like.
bellissimo
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Why are you getting so many Vf&f?

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
liamf
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I initially got it when I turned the TV on and found the font manager screen was displayed, thought the kids had been messing about with the toppy. Power cycled box and after VF&F font manager screen came up on its own. 2nd reboot and left remote alone, all was OK. But it has happened in the evening when someone has looked at the EPG. I assume they pressed exit once too many times and then ok on font manager but can't get out of the font manager screen once it is up. You can change the font etc but not exit.

Admittedly I have a 1tb WD HDD in it with lots of music and pictures on it. It is 37% free but has been as low as 20% without problems.

I just can't believe one other person has had this happen.
What is the best TAP loading order?
At the moment mine loads in this order.
TAP COMMANDER, EPG2MEI, MYSTUFF, EXTEND V1.7, SECCACHE (UK) V.04, FONT MANAGER 1.0D
I did have goldfish installed but it is disabled until I find out if this has caused problems.

I'm not moaning as mystuff overall is great, but just thought I would let others know there may be a problem. So that a fix can be found.
noncom
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Sep 2006 Posts: 542
You're not alone. Ever since I installed the version of MyStuff which came with Font Manager, a VFF will reboot with FontManager stuck on screen. I reported this in the MS threads at the time, but since I don't have all that many VFFs it's not such a big issue. It just requires a second reboot to clear it.

It would be good to find a reason/fix for it though.

Andy

EDIT - I also have a lot of mp3s on my drive (about 50GB worth out of a 320GB drive). Relevant?

bellissimo
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I would suggest that it is better to have Font Manager early on in the tap load order so that other taps can check whether it is running or not.

It is possible to stop FM getting stuck on screen on a vf&f by changing the amount of time it waits after boot before displaying itself.

However this will not help you with the vf&f, which would seem to be the root problem, and nothing to do with FM.

juwlz
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
noncom wrote:
I also have a lot of mp3s on my drive (about 50GB worth out of a 320GB drive). Relevant?
The number (not the size) of files makes a difference to how long a VF&F takes.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
noncom
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I should have been more specific, but I intended to make the point that 50GB is a LOT of mp3 files (even though they are all at 320kbs, so bigger than average).

My VFF can take around 10 minutes to whirr through what must be a couple of thousand mp3 tracks. Is it therefore likely that the length of time it takes is confusing Font Manager into getting stuck on screen? And is it possible to change this without causing other problems?

Andy

bellissimo
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes a long vf&f will certainly trigger it. And as I said above, it is possible to prevent it (with a code change). Any crash is a sign of a serious problem though. If the crashes are regular, I would be trying to track down what is causing it.

noncom
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, from my point of view, a fix would be terriffic. As I said before, I only get a VFF once in a blue moon (I don't think I had one for about a year, then I've had a couple since putting MS6 and the new Firmware on two months ago), hence it's not been a major annoyance, but when you do have to wait 10 mins or so on the rare occasions that it does crash, the last thing you want to have to do is reboot again manually afterwards!!

Andy

bellissimo
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Ideally it would be good to establish why it doesn't respond to the exit key in this scenario. Strange that it still responds to other keys. Would be worth trying to put fm first in the load order to see if that makes a difference.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on why the exit key is ignored.

juwlz
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
There may be other TAPs (e.g. FastScanGUI and MyInfo) that are deciding what to do based on how long it is since the Toppy started up. Both will assume that you've tried to run manually if the VF&F takes you over their "assume run from Auto Start" limits, so it's possible that one or the other of them (or something else) is confusing things too.

Julie

kermit
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
juwlz wrote:
There may be other TAPs (e.g. FastScanGUI and MyInfo) that are deciding what to do based on how long it is since the Toppy started up.

You could run XStartTAP to control the automatic loading of TAPs when the Toppy boots.

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
juwlz
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
kermit wrote:
juwlz wrote:
There may be other TAPs (e.g. FastScanGUI and MyInfo) that are deciding what to do based on how long it is since the Toppy started up.
You could run XStartTAP to control the automatic loading of TAPs when the Toppy boots.
Yes, but the whole point is that each of these TAPs runs interactively if not within <some short time> of startup, and silently within that time, and the problem is that they're running interactively when we WANT them to run silently (i.e. at startup time).

Julie