<  TAPs  ~  Font Manager 1.0d

Page 3 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
DB1
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
bellissimo wrote:
Ah right. Darn JavaScript cross-browser incompatiblities Cool

If I get a chance I will get Safari a whirl, but good to know it works in Firefox for you.

If anyone else is having problems with Firefox or IE it is worth clearing the cache and trying again.

No idea about the crashing problem. Does it actually cause Firefox to die, or do you just get a JavaScript error?

Here FF just goes poof - No errors. Blowing in NSPR4.DLL

EDIT Or rather it was. Now working fine. Thanks.

EDIT 2 - Still crashes if the page is revisited Sad

TF5800, F/W: 5.13.65AbBfBqC0CbCeCkCwCyDEcEeEfErEsEvEzFFsGmHHeIKtNfOtPPcPePsRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TdTfTpUUuXXpXwXl TAPs: TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.72; Power Manager v2.2; MyInfo B5.6; DescriptionExtender 2.23; Remote Extender 1.6; Archivev1.0a; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; EPGnavigator v5.1c; UK Auto Scheduler v0.73.1; Extend v1.7; Power Restore V0.7.8
Tx: CP
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/4/13
DB1
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
Hmm, tried it with the error console open and I get this:

Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'width'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo/toppyfontmanagermirror.html
Line: 0

I get several of those. I can't figure out why it works some times and crashes others. BTW I get

Warning: Unknown property 'scrollbar-face-color'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144230#144230
Line: 64

on most forum pages. Line number changes of course.

TF5800, F/W: 5.13.65AbBfBqC0CbCeCkCwCyDEcEeEfErEsEvEzFFsGmHHeIKtNfOtPPcPePsRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TdTfTpUUuXXpXwXl TAPs: TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.72; Power Manager v2.2; MyInfo B5.6; DescriptionExtender 2.23; Remote Extender 1.6; Archivev1.0a; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; EPGnavigator v5.1c; UK Auto Scheduler v0.73.1; Extend v1.7; Power Restore V0.7.8
bellissimo
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Ok, thanks for the useful info. I will investigate the 'width' error.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
bellissimo
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
'Width' error is now fixed.

DB1, if you still get problems, you could try clearing your 'Cache' and trying again.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
EMJB
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3639 Location: Maldon Essex
Hi Bellissimo,

Am a bit confused about the latest version - your sitesled site says 0.5, your toppy mirror said yesterday, and still says, 0.6.

When things have settled down a bit, could you pleae add the version no to the title in the first post so I (and others) can see when the version has been updated?

EMJB
bellissimo
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Hi EMJB,

The real version is 0.6 (I will add this to the thread title)

Sitesled has been down for days now and I have not been able to FTP any files to it to do an update, but it does seem to be back now so I will try again.

EMJB
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3639 Location: Maldon Essex
Thanks, EMJB
DB1
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
OK, thank you. That has got rid of the errors but I still get crashes- It would appear to be every other page load.

shinyford
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 726 Location: London
Hi Bellissimo

Does FontManager change TAP_Osd_GetW as well as TAP_Osd_PutS?

I'm sometimes getting strange positioning/formatting problems, and - without having spent much time on it - I'm guessing it's something to do with the way I'm calculating width.

Cheers

Nic

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
It does.
shinyford
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 726 Location: London
Cheers - I'll check some more.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 11 Jul 2005 Posts: 85
I like it. Thanks very much Bellissimo.

I have three questions...
1. Could the fontmanager tap have the option to restore the previous setting (saved in a file) when it starts without displaying it's configuration interface. Does the TAP have to be running to use the new font?
2. The fonts seem wider than they should be. Are they perhaps being rendered as if they were using square pixels (which a wide screen TV does not)? I realise that a wider font may be sometimes be nice, but it would be good to have the option of making the font the correct aspect ratio. Using ArialNarrow cludgily achieves the approximate effect, but most fonts are not available in narrow forms.
3. Most fonts seem to be antialiased against a black or dark grey background. This works fine if the text is used (onscreen) against a darker background, but as partially seen in the configuration dialog, it does not work properly with a light background. You either get a vague sketchy black line around light text, or thickened black text with very wiggly edges. (Calibri seems best at avoiding this for some strange reason.) The edges should really be partially transparent rather than black to achieve the correct effect. Alternatively they couod be rendered without any antialiasing.

Sig generated by MyInfo on 26/6/10

Transmitter: [/b]Sandy Heath
Remote: One for all URC 7555
bellissimo
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
IanMaurice wrote:

1. Could the fontmanager tap have the option to restore the previous setting (saved in a file) when it starts without displaying it's configuration interface. Does the TAP have to be running to use the new font?

An ini file is on the TODO list so it remembers the selected font. Presumably once people have found the font they like, the TAP needs to go into Auto Start (if loaded from Auto Start the options do not display automatically). Which I guess answers your question that yes, the TAP has to be running to use the new font.

Quote:

2. The fonts seem wider than they should be. Are they perhaps being rendered as if they were using square pixels (which a wide screen TV does not)? I realise that a wider font may be sometimes be nice, but it would be good to have the option of making the font the correct aspect ratio. Using ArialNarrow cludgily achieves the approximate effect, but most fonts are not available in narrow forms.

The makeFonts program creates the bitmaps for the fonts. I did not write this program so I don't know exactly what it does, but personally I find Tahoma to be fine, and not too wide.

Quote:

3. Most fonts seem to be antialiased against a black or dark grey background. This works fine if the text is used (onscreen) against a darker background, but as partially seen in the configuration dialog, it does not work properly with a light background. You either get a vague sketchy black line around light text, or thickened black text with very wiggly edges. (Calibri seems best at avoiding this for some strange reason.) The edges should really be partially transparent rather than black to achieve the correct effect. Alternatively they couod be rendered without any antialiasing.

I agree this is not ideal. I could try making the anti-aliasing optional to see if any improvements occurs.

Black Cloud
Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2005 Posts: 299
bellissimo wrote:
I could try making the anti-aliasing optional to see if any improvements occurs.

I would be interested in that.

I am not using the font manager now, but I loved it at first. After a while I was irritated by the black edges of the text on the highlighted item in the MyStuff epg. Spent ages getting just the right colour for the highlight a few months ago, so reluctant to change it for a dark one.

bellissimo
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Font Manager 0.7

http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo/toppyfontmanager.html

Changes since 0.6
===============

* FontManager.ini file now saves the selected font.
* New option 'Antialias override'. Set this to a value between 1-8 to override the default antialiasing. This should help improve text drawn against a light coloured background. I find a value of 4 or 5 to be best.
* Fix bug when right adjusting text.

I would be interested to hear if people find the 'Antialiasing override' of any use. It is a bit of a hack because the antialiasing is embedded in the bitmaps produced by the makeFonts program.