Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Upload Taps using serial ?

Page 1 of 1
phil.s
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Apr 2005 Posts: 46
Has anyone succesfully uploaded any TAPS using a serial cable ?

Altair does not appear to support a serial connection which is a shame because you can upload the firmware via serial.

My PC is too far from my toppy to use USB (10 metres), and it is a right pain to move the toppy to the PC mostly beacuse you cannot detatch the mains plug at the toppy end.
richie
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 156 Location: Ash Vale (Hannington)
I have just ordered a USB repeater cable from ebuyer which will hopefully achieve this. Reading one of the comments in their feedback page, I am hoping:-

2m USB A male to A female
2.5m repeater cable (A male to A female)
5m A male to B male

will do the trick for 1.50, 6 and 3 respectively giving me 9.5 m (all Belkin except the repeater cable which is ebuyer own brand).

Will let you know how I get on ...
phil.s
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope it works as that is a fairly cheap solution.

I just found USB CAT5 Extenders (usb over ethernet cables) but they start at 50 from maplin. They can go 100's of metres however.

I have a holdall dedicated to cables, you name it, I got it, except usb! It's a conspiracy I tell ya !
malc
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
Rather than a CAT5 extender you could get a NSLU2 for the same cost and network the toppy. The route has been proven to work.
simonc
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
Considering you only want to upload TAPs, you might be able to get away with chaining two 5m USB cables together. I have a 5m and a 1.8m which seems to work fine. You can get a 5m USB2 cable off ebay for 2-3, so it might be worth a go.

Alternatively it might be possible for someone to write a TAP that will receive files and write them to the ProgramFiles folder. Of course you'd have to upload it using a USB cable to start with Sad
Maff
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 May 2005 Posts: 162
The CAT5/USB converters should be avoided as they are only USB 1.1 and so will slow the transfer speed.

As has been mentioned, the NSLU2 does a good job and is only about the same price (I use one of these myself).

But for a short run like this an active USB extension cable should do the job.

A USB link can be upto 5m before it requires cleaning/amplifing. So a single 5m active extension from the PC and then a 5m A-B cable should do the trick.
deangelj
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2005 Posts: 316 Location: Sydney, Australia
In the older toppy's (?German) you could download a tap using the serial port and type

downloadpgm file.tap

where file.tap is your tap program. Maybe give it a try...

cheers,
John
kevinb
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 May 2005 Posts: 180
I have used an active USB extender to connect my PC to my toppy over about 8 metres without any problems. The docs say I could link 4 of these (5 metre) extension together for a total of 20metres.

It is a "LINDY USB 2.0 Active Extension Cable" and I bought it via amazon.co.uk.
phil.s
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought this thread got deleted, it's been moved to the TAPs section instead !

I decided to go with the active extension cable as they turned out to be 11.95 delivered. See this thread: http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Another cable for the collection!