Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  URGENT: Play recording should always play from start - bug?

Page 1 of 1
IanMaurice
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 11 Jul 2005 Posts: 85
At the moment if you play a recording (from the archive list) which is still being recorded then you play from the end of the program (which is still being recorded). Is this a bug? Can this please be fixed?
Playing from the end has the following serious problems...
1. It is totally inconsistent with the behaviour when it is fully recorded. If you want to watch the currently recorded point you can just watch the channel.
2. If you are recording a sporting event or film then you discover the outcome. I know you can wind back to the start but only with difficulty if you don't want to know the result visually or via the sound. This is a VERY serious problem!!!
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
This is how the toppy works. you can bring up the progress bay by hitting play then use the rewind key to take you to the begining. Or you can just type in 0 which will take you to 0% ie the start.
Try Improbox Tap, this will start the recording from the beginning and has many other usefull features.
malc
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
Presumably the toppy is just treating the play on going recordinga s the same as a switch to that channel (which now has a time-shift buffer). Looking at it that way bges the question that if you just switch to the recording channel should that play from start or not? My opinion is that a switch should be current and a recording start should be from the start which means the toppy should separate these actions.
IanMaurice
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Thanks very much for your replies and help.

I did know that his was the way that it worked (in the sense that various forum members had reported this) and I had personal experience anyway. But it is very disastrous and can easily be fixed as one of the respondents said.

On the UK 5800 model with the latest firmware (no TAPS) I don't think that typing "0" works (I had tried it at someone's suggestion) -- it changes the aspect ratio) but I hadn't thought to try "1"!. I have just tried that and it works (even if it skips 1% of the movie).

My feelings were/are coloured by and experience at the weekend. I started a recording of the Silverstone F1 Grand Prix at the weekend on my newly aquired Topfield 5800. Just before the end of the race we stat down with family, friends and relatives to watch the race. I was careful enough to make sure that we didn't discover the outcome of the race beforehand by switching to different channel, but on starting playback of the recording (which of course was not complete) we were all treated to a display of the final stages of the race and no hurried attempts to turn the sound down or wind back to the start could prevent us hearing and seeing the final result. Much ill feeling and egg on face.

Thanks again.
IanMaurice
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
The following was sent by the admin to the same post in the bugs thread.
Quote:
I'd like to remind people that there are FAQs on the site, and user guides that explain many aspects of how the Toppy works, as well as a bugs list which covers most known bugs. The simple fact that something was not designed in the way you might have designed it does not make something a bug.

And remember - putting "URGENT" at the start of your posts is a good way to make me read them last Wink

Nigel.

Since I can't reply there, I would like to comment here. [If not here where?]

As, I said in the previous post, I was aware that this was how the Toppy worked. And I noticed it wasn't in the list of bugs. But not all bugs are implementation bugs -- they can be design bugs (as I know as a professional user interface designer). And I must admit I was confused as to where to put it - there were no corresponding sections for "New Features requested" or "Feature changes requested" as there are in the BUGS section of the services part of the Toppy site. So I put it in both General and Bugs sections. 'Confused'

I also saw that in the "services/BUGS/requested feature changes" the proposed list of things that might be fixed in the next release did not include this rather simple but (to me at least) important fix. Hence the reprehensible use of word "Urgent" since I thought it might miss out. Crying or Very sad

Thanks.
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
You can comment here, or you can comment in the site feedback area. Just as long as you only pick one of them Smile

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
This has been added as a distinct item, number 53, in the list of feature change requests.

Review and rate in the usual way.

Nigel.