Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Blank channels

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Two patches: [Ns] NoStartCh and [Np] NoPlayStartCh. The former ought to make the Toppy start up with no channel selected (i.e. blank), and the latter ought to stop it returning to a TV channel when playback stops. Many actions will resurrect a TV channel, even bringing up and cancelling most TAP screens (so you may find the former has little effect until you tweak you startup TAPs Smile).

Bear in mind that I'm currently running a "keep the Toppy on" test so I haven't done much testing of them.
SonicLife
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
Thanks for these, will try and find a slot at the weekend to apply & test them.

Can I ask some questions to clarify what the intended behaviour of [Np] is.

If the toppy was on say BBC1 and you started playback, when playback ends it should go to a dead channel?
Regardless of the how much is being recorded in the background the 'dead' channel will always be available?
If the toppy is on the dead channel are you saying that bringing up something like the MyStuff archive will switch away to a proper channel?
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Technically, the Toppy will display nothing. Everything should work as normal except it won't display anything. But there are lots and lots of things that will bring it into life, like bringing up the native EPG, or a seconding recording starting after needing to change one of the tuners. This is the state you get from TAP_Channel_Stop() -- all that's being elided is a corresponding call to something like TAP_Channel_Start() buried deep within the equivalent of TAP_EnterNormal().
MikeyP
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
I'm not getting "the use" for this as yet Confused ...

but wouldn't it be nicer to drop to a menu screen of some sort like a halfway house between the archive screen and the EPG screen?

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
SonicLife
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
Technically, the Toppy will display nothing. Everything should work as normal except it won't display anything. But there are lots and lots of things that will bring it into life, like bringing up the native EPG, or a seconding recording starting after needing to change one of the tuners. This is the state you get from TAP_Channel_Stop() -- all that's being elided is a corresponding call to something like TAP_Channel_Start() buried deep within the equivalent of TAP_EnterNormal().
That sounds like Yes, Yes and probably not in answer to my questions. If I understood a word of it that is Wink
SonicLife
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
MikeyP wrote:
Probably a niche patch for a select few discerning punters, starting from here may help explain why.
SonicLife
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Did you consider making this dead channel available via a key press (I would like zero) for instances when something else inconsiderately changes the channel?
matt
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Would [Ns] NoStartCh help with the Toppy interrupting video game playing when it switches on to record?

I already use the Deselect TAP

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
MikeyP
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
cheers SonicLife

So my suggestion still stands perhaps? Very Happy , why not have it fall back to a screen where you have simply archive, tv or setup "shortcuts"?

I suppose that can't be done with a simple patch and would need a TAP?

Just out of interest are these patches usually 1 or 2 byte patches or a whole much longer insertion of string of changes?

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
SonicLife
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
MikeyP wrote:
why not have it fall back to a screen where you have simply archive, tv or setup "shortcuts"?

I suppose that can't be done with a simple patch and would need a TAP?
I expect it would need a TAP to offer a custom menu of things, and it is something I would quite like personally, but I would probably want it as part of MyStuff, and others would want other TAPs to offer it etc. If R2's patches work well this is something that TAP authors may offer over the top of the blank channel I expect.
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
SonicLife wrote:
MikeyP wrote:
Probably a niche patch for a select few discerning punters, starting from here may help explain why.
And way back in time here (which is why I don't feel the need to test them very much Smile).
tichtich
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
R2-D2 wrote:

Thanks for these. I've just tried them out briefly.

For those who are wondering, it seems the Toppy remains tuned to the same channel (which is still indicated on the front panel), but there is no video or audio. Calling up a TAP screen restores live TV, but not until I exit from the TAP. So I can stop playback and use MediaManager to select my next playback without seeing or hearing any live TV.

However, if I want to use more than one TAP between playbacks, I'm going to see/hear some live TV. Which means for me the patches as they stand will not be a satisfactory substitute for my current system of staying tuned to a data channel, though they may be a useful addition to that system.

A couple of other issues I've come across...

1. When I stop playback, I still get Improbox's Now/Next display tellimg me which channel I'm on. Not a big deal, but it feels odd to be told that I'm on BBC2 and watching a certain programme when I can't see any programme.

2. If I stop the playback via MediaManager's Stop Menu, the patch has no effect, i.e. I can still see live TV. I suppose that's another case of a TAP screen causing a reversion to live TV.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
tichtich wrote:
2. If I stop the playback via MediaManager's Stop Menu, the patch has no effect, i.e. I can still see live TV. I suppose that's another case of a TAP screen causing a reversion to live TV.
You sound like you need the large sledgehammer version...
tichtich
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
It's not clear to me whether NoPlayStartCh includes the function of NoStartCh (as the name sort of suggests). I assumed not, and installed both patches. But NoStartCh doesn't seem to work anyway, even when I boot without any TAPs.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Sledgehammer: [Nn] NoNormStartCh. The functionality of both the other two patches is included, but this time it's much harder to get live TV without having requested it explicitly.