Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  PSU repair [expired thread]

Page 98 of 100
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
john12345
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys. I wonder if you can help. My Toppy was displaying the symptoms described as a result of capacitor problems with the PSU, so I jumped ahead and changed the PSU.

Unfortunately it has made no difference. So:

- when I turn the Toppy on it starts OK into the native Toppy GUI (ie doesn't load MyStuff)
- the "Recordings" tab is greyed out
- I can't get Altair to see the Toppy hard drive when connected via USB

Basically, should I conclude that the HDD is broken?

Thanks

(disappointed) John
andyfras
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
See a couple of posts before yours.

As the PSU capacitors fail, some of the voltages get very high (12V can become 20V for instance), this can lead to an over-voltage protection diode on the HDD going short-circuit, which in turn blows a chip U51, next to the HDD power connection on the mainboard.

Alternatively, it may be that your HDD has become so corrupted that it is not seen by the Toppy as it boots up. This can sometimes be fixed by connecting the HDD directly to a PC running TopfHDRW.

The third alternative is that the HDD is dead.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
john12345
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh Andy, you've saved me... but I've been so stupid!

I'd re-fastened up the Toppy to test the new PSU, and so when there was no different result I'd unplugged it all to dispose of. But your post prompted me to open it up again to check U51.

Guess what? I hadn't plugged the HDD power back in. Doh! Now it works....

Laughing

Thanks Andy!
andyfras
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't thought of the fourth alternative. Very Happy

john12345
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
unfortunately i spoke too soon. When I first turned it back on post re-connecting the HDD power it loaded MyStuff and all was well. I started watching BBC1 and it started recording E4 as it had been set to. Then I noticed "rec" had dropped off the display before it should have done. I tried changing channels, no response. Turned it off and on, no MyStuff load, back to how it was behaving before I changed the PSU,,,

Crying or Very sad
andyfras
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I suspect a corrupted HDD. This often happens when the PSU capacitors fail.

judymeg
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
My Toppy 5800 was misbehaving. My list of recordings would sometimes show that the disc was full when I knew there was 50% free! Sometimes the recording would not play and a few other things weren't right. I stopped using it for fear of damaging it further. I joined this forum and found that MikeyP did repairs to Toppies.

I sent him a pm and he replied swiftly advising that he thought it was a PSU problem. He sent me instructions on how to remove the PSU from my Toppy, which I had no problem following, and I am a blonde woman! Laughing

After a very swift repair the PSU was returned to me and my Toppy is perfect once again! Razz

I would thoroughly recommend MikeyP to anyone who has a problem with their Toppy he provides a fast, reliable service at a very reasonable price. Many thanks Mikey Smile
ryclark
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
Are you Mrs. Mikey by any chance? Wink

Ah. No. You live in the wrong part of the country.

But all credit to both Mikey and Andy for their continued service to the Toppy community.

?
john12345
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Hi. Further to my couple of recent posts about my Toppy, I changed the PSU and put in a new HDD and that seems to be fine.

So that leaves me trying to get the data files off the (probably corrupted) old HDD. I accept it probably is corrupted but I am finding that my experiences are weird and I would appreciate any advice.

So, I am set up with an XP SP3 notebook. I have connected the HDD from the Toppy (a WD2500AV IDE) to the notebook via an external caddy and USB port. The caddy has an external power supply. I have tried using different USB and 'data' cables other than those supplied with the external caddy and it has made no difference to the outcome.

What happens is this. I plugged in the HDD and heard it making a noise. I launched TopfHDRW and could get to a list of all the programmes on the HDD. All this time the disk is obviously making some noise. But then, after a short period of time, the disc stops making a noise and TopfHDRW freezes. The green power light on the front of the caddy remains on however.

The only way to come out of TopfHDRW is to use Task Manager and then if you try to restart it no longer thinks there is a Topfield disc connected. I actually have to reinstall the Windows XP image on the notebook (!) to get it to recognise the disk again.

So - I managed to copy off one programme on one of these attempts and I could view the recording fine in VLC. That gives me some hope. But I can't really do this one at a time, reinstalling XP each time, and anyway some of the files are big and it freezes in the act of copying them over.

Any advice would be gratefully received. My thoughts were that it must be something to do with the power/USB ports somehow but I can't see why - so perhaps I should try connecting it to another XP computer.... don't actually have one. But could it actually be a physical problem with the disc?
andyfras
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
While the disk is recognised, try running TopfHDDoctor; there may be some file corruption that it can fix.

john12345
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Andy. I started doing this. And it started doing it, and then the disk powered down again and froze in the same way. Should I just keep doing that in the hope it will do a little more each time before it freezes?
andyfras
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I have seen a similar problem with another disk, although it didn't crash the PC in the process. It seemed to lose communication when it warmed up.

Strangely it sorted itself out eventually (maybe it reallocated a duff sector?) and I was able to copy all the contents to another disk.

MikeyP
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
Quote:
I plugged in the HDD and heard it making a noise.

Quote:
All this time the disk is obviously making some noise.

Quote:
But then, after a short period of time, the disc stops making a noise and TopfHDRW freezes.

I know it's hard (impossible?) to describe sometimes , but what sort of noise ?
If you've heard a few hard drives you get a feel for a normal noise and an abnormal one.
When it starts up, you'll get the constant woosh of the platter rotation but straight after power up it should make a short tick/click noise, which should stop within a few seconds.
If you're getting anything more than the constant and consistant woosh/whiz of the platter rotation say 3 or 4 seconds after power up (when you're not accessing it), there's something wrong with the drive.

Quote:
My thoughts were that it must be something to do with the power/USB ports somehow but I can't see why - so perhaps I should try connecting it to another XP computer.... don't actually have one. But could it actually be a physical problem with the disc?

Try and find another PC , maybe one at work ?
Quote:

I actually have to reinstall the Windows XP image on the notebook (!) to get it to recognise the disk again.

That's not just weird , that's crazy!

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
Black Cloud
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2005 Posts: 299
Could it possibly be the USB port on your computer going into power-saving mode after a fixed period of use?

BigAds
Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys,

Could someone offer me some advice?

I have a TF5810 which had been working fine up to a couple of weeks ago. It then started misbehaving - freezing, MyStuff not loading properly etc. and after a number of tests it led me to believe that there was an issue with the hard drive and it may need replacing. Reading the forum I found out about the problem with the PSU's on the Toppy's and it seems like a good idea to check that out before putting a new drive in.

I've measured the voltages (below) but most of the posts on the forum refer to 5800's so I just wanted to see if the knowledgeable folks here would recommend replacing the PSU or is it just a disk failure. I did notice that a couple of the larger capacitors seemed slightly domed which I read could be a bad sign...!

30v - 28.7
17v - 17.11
8v - 8.57
5v - 4.99
3.3v - 3.16
17v - 17.10