Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Start Channel patch

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
kokoru tells me that the latest firmware on the TF5100PVRc HDMI has a problem starting up if you have shutdown when on a payment channel. This is because the Toppy starts up on the last channel you were watching, so I suspect the CAM hasn't been properly initialised at this point (or is slow, or something -- don't ask me, I don't use one!). Anyway, I imagined this might be a problem on other models too (maybe even the TF5800?), so a possible solution might be of interest to others. Here's a [Sc] StartupChannel patch, which always starts up on the first channel (this will be BBC1 for all TF5800s, I expect).
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Oooo, as this is a patch rather than a TAP, I'm guessing that it does indeed start up on BBC1, rather than switch to BBC1 as all TAPs have to do since they load after the initial channel has been selected?

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13[/size:da1fd20a33]
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
I'm guessing that it does indeed start up on BBC1, rather than switch to BBC1
Yes, it just overrides the stored values to 0. I think there was some interest in starting up with no channel at all, and playback stopping with a blank channel, too -- are they worth turning into patches?
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Starting on BBC1 is fine for me Very Happy , so over to the forum for your other suggestions.

The problem I've had with the TAP approach in the past is that sometimes it can take the Toppy a few moments to realise that the channel it selected for a timer has been overriden by an autostart tap. This meant your pre-padding values were eroded by this delay.

I did ask BobD if he could actually adopt a slightly different tack with the MyStuff power off code selecting BBC1, or indeed any channel the user selected in the MyStuff options. That way it wouldn't interfere with a timer waking the Toppy up on the channel it intended to record. But it was low priority Wink

Thanks again, will try it out soon. Cool

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
Lawtie
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Sep 2005 Posts: 457
R2-D2 wrote:
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
I'm guessing that it does indeed start up on BBC1, rather than switch to BBC1
Yes, it just overrides the stored values to 0.

Perhaps a dumb question, but does this patch only kick in when someone manually turns on their Toppy?

If the Toppy wakes for a timed recording on another channel will it first wake up to BBC1 and then have to change channel, or is it a different setting that will make it wake up on the correct channel for recording (thus bypassing your patch)?

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
Lawtie wrote:
Perhaps a dumb question, but does this patch only kick in when someone manually turns on their Toppy?
It won't affect a startup for a recording, which does it's own channel change a little later.
SonicLife
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
R2-D2 wrote:
I think there was some interest in starting up with no channel at all, and playback stopping with a blank channel, too -- are they worth turning into patches?
If I understand you correctly here this will appear the same as tuning to an off air channel, which is how my toppy spends most of it's time currently as I don't watch live TV. Would it also be possible for this 'blank channel' to be available on a key press, e.g. 0 so if you want to watch a bit of news, and then go back to the null channel that would be great as well.

One other question, would EIT data still be collected in the background whist in this mode?

Also would being on a null channel help at all in banishing check your reservation messages? As you have told the toppy you don't want either tuner for live TV it can do what it wants with them.
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
SonicLife wrote:
If I understand you correctly here this will appear the same as tuning to an off air channel
Not quite. It's like not tuning to a channel at all.
Quote:
Would it also be possible for this 'blank channel' to be available on a key press, e.g. 0
Instead of the ratio switching? Interesting idea...
Quote:
One other question, would EIT data still be collected in the background whist in this mode?
I'm not sure, but possibly not.
Quote:
Also would being on a null channel help at all in banishing check your reservation messages?
Yes... but only if the Toppy wasn't playing back a recording, and it wouldn't return to this state after a recording has started a channel, so it'd only be short-term.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
...Anyway, I imagined this might be a problem on other models too (maybe even the TF5800?), so a possible solution might be of interest to others. Here's a [Sc] StartupChannel patch, which always starts up on the first channel (this will be BBC1 for all TF5800s, I expect).
Sorry R2, I can't get this patch to take at all, so must be doing something wrong.

I have a f/w patched as per my sig. I start HDFW V2.1b and load the firmware in Flash. That populates the screen with all the options and marks those patches already installed. I then select Sc patch and either press the Rec button or select the 'Start flashing' option and the Toppy crashes. HDFW looks as though it's closing all the TAPs down first, but it still goes t1ts up just after the green ticks are shown against each of the TAPs.

I've also tried starting the Toppy with zero held down, but that doesn't appear to work anymore either.

I must be doing something wrong. Can you tell what it is though?

Cheers

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
I then select Sc patch and either press the Rec button or select the 'Start flashing' option and the Toppy crashes.
I'm seeing this, too. It's certainly not the patch, but I think it's a problem either with the compressor, a memory problem, or with just low memory. Sometimes I don't get a problem with TAPs loaded to start with, and I don't seem to ever get a problem with TAPs disabled on boot (but that's not particularly convenient).
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I've also tried backing up the f/w in flash before selecting the new backup and patching that. Same symptoms Sad

Also tried having first closed the MyStuff and Crid taps, can't remember how to close e2m or MHEGControl Embarassed Same symptoms Sad

Any idea why I can't stop the TAPs loading with zero held down anymore?

My version of TAP Commander appears to have lost the ability to scroll up down the TAP listing to disable them on next boot too Confused

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Any idea why I can't stop the TAPs loading with zero held down anymore?
Using aXeL, I've found you need to start holding down 0 when the "Load" appears (actually I usually wait to hear the disk whirr up).
Quote:
My version of TAP Commander appears to have lost the ability to scroll up down the TAP listing to disable them on next boot too Confused
If you're using the RemExt patch then you'll need to update a lot of TAPs based on simonc's C++ framework, including TAP Commander and MeiSearch.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Embarassed Yup just downloaded TC 1.0.3 and it sucessfully stops all my AS TAPs on next boot.

Now that I've run HDFW with no TAPs running it's flashed it correctly from the backup I took a few minutes ago Very Happy

Cheers

glenmcfar
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
How about a patch for each channel???? I'd lke my Toppy to start on BBC News 24 or maybe The Hits.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
How about a patch for each channel???? I'd lke my Toppy to start on BBC News 24 or maybe The Hits.
I'm not writing 700 patches. Smile Personally, I use StartChannelLCN to switch to CBeebies to save the OH from working out how to do that. In fact, I use it in combination with XStart to limit that change to between 7am and 7pm (unless a timer boot). (And this patch means the Toppy starts on BBC1 otherwise. Smile)