Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  An update update

Page 1 of 1
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:27 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
A brief update; what I'm posting here is the information that I have at the moment, so there's no need to ask lots of extra questions - if I had the answers, I'd have written them...

The Topfield engineers are here, and are working on the firmware. They have access to the bugs database on this site, including comments and information about how people have rated bugs.

Additionally, they have a spreadsheet version of the database which I sent off at the end of last week, and I've updated Turbosat with a couple of issues since then. As I've mentioned before, there are three issues that I've previously flagged up as the top things we'd like addressed.

Those are 1) the no sound issue that affects some people following the last update, 2) the loss of timers, due to incorrect time stamps being received and 3) the channel change when timers start and stop.

So, while I can't say exactly what is going to be in the update, you can rest assured that Topfield/Turbosat are aware of those things that most people view as very important. They also have a list which includes ALL the bugs we know about, so a fair few of those should be sorted out too.

As I wrote in the news story, there are two strands to the work being done - one is preparatory work for OTA updates, and the other is the firmware update itself.

The latest information that I have is that we are most likely to see two updates, rather than one.

The first of those updates will address some of the current issues, and enable the OTA update facility. The second update will address other issues.

If I knew which issues will be included in each update, I would post a list. As soon as I have that information, I will post such a list. It is likely that there will not be too long a gap between the updates.

For the moment, that's all there is to say; I anticipate having more to say at the end of the week (but that is not a guarantee, or a suggestion of a date for a firmware update).

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Nigel,

thanks for the update, it is good to know they are on the case. Nice wording by the way, I have no questions and look forward to your next update, whenever that might be Wink

Cheers

Chunkywizard

nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
A little more information; I appreciate that people would like me to give fuller details, but a lot is still to be sorted out, and when I have firm details that I can give, I shall do. So, once again, if you have questions, I probably don't have any answers for you, though that should change next week.

The current latest information is merely regarding the likely timing of the two updates, with the first due by early August, and the second around the end of the month.

As for the scope of the updates, all I can say is that the information I have so far is very positive, but obviously a lot depends on what can be done by the specific deadlines, and there will be more details of that sometime next week.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Apr 2005 Posts: 390
nwhitfield wrote:

As for the scope of the updates, all I can say is that the information I have so far is very positive, but obviously a lot depends on what can be done by the specific deadlines, and there will be more details of that sometime next week.

Nigel.

Hmm, will this be the Update Update Update
Sebby
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
Site helper Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: London
Thanks for the update, Nigel. Smile
s7uar7
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 196 Location: Chalfont St Giles
Something that would be good to have in the next firmware release is the option to tie the time update to a specific mux or channel, as with the German version. This would probably resolve the problem some people (me included until I deleted poor channels) are having with timers getting lost.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
The timers issue is one that's on the list for being worked on, I gather.

I've generally tried not to tell them how to fix things, however. The solution of only using one mux is one way to do it, but hopefully they'll find a more robust method that will be simple for the users, too.

Nigel.