Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Brand New EPG?

Page 1 of 1
lollipop
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:03 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 43
While the Topfield engineers are in this country taking a look at various things can someone explain to them that by providing an epg similar to sky but with extras like the pip still playing they would have a major selling point in this country and could provide a head on competition with the subscription service?
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I know people are frustrated with the EPG, and issues with channel changing are on the wish list, but I don't think they're going to completely redo the visuals - and almost certainly not this time round.

Although they don't affect that many people, there are serious issues that need addressing, like the loss of sound. I can just imaging the howls of outrage from affected people if they spent their time on tarting up the look and feel and still left some people suffering from recordings that have no audio on playback!

I hope that after the updates that we'll be getting this summer, most of the bugs and a fair number of the niggles will have been addressed. That, I think, will be the time to press for more cosmetic or fundamental changes to the box.

The first priority, surely, has to be to make sure it does what it says on the tin...

Meanwhile, the EPG is one area in which people can try out alternatives, or even write their own, as some forum members are doing.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 43
Fair comment - only being a Toppy owner for less than a week now after ditching sky+ I haven't noticed any bugs as such and notice just how much potential this machine has.

I have installed improbox premium and jags epg which I am coping with very well but the rest of the family members are having difficulty navigating around everything - probably after being spoilt with the simplicity of sky+